General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Long term storage/shipping questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long term storage/shipping questions

I'm looking into shipping the car and it would be around a 30 day transit period. During which I understand that some companies require that the battery be disconnected. My question is, are there any re-learning procedures that should be done to the car once the battery is re-connected. Idle re-learning procedure, or windows...etc. I remember reading the Accord needed such procedures after disconnecting the battery. Any such procedures for the XF?

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Peniole, I have shipped my truck from Washington State to Hawaii and back. The company that was ultimately used was Matson. Please note that I say the ultimate company was Matson. There are lots of companies out there that ship car across the water, but atleast on the west coast of the US (and I beleive the east coast of the USA too), they all have to go through Matson as they are the only car carrier for used vehicles. So, if you are wanting to save a few bucks, go right to the source.

Now, with that being said, anticipate about an hour or so to just drop off the car. They are going to want EVERYTHING!!!!!!! out of the car. If you can pick it up, they want it out. This includes removable car stereo faces, anything in the glove box, etc. They will even go as far as to pull the jack and tire iron out of the car and put it in a separate box that gets sealed with your signature across the seal tape. They will also remove anything that is removable off the outside of the car (antennas, wheel caps, etc). These will also go in the box. You will also need to have the car freshly washed prior to dropping off the car as they will be doing a very detailed inspection of the car with you, noting every scratch, dent, ding, imperfection on the car. So, as you can see, it will take a little bit of time to just drop the car off. The same procedure will be used when picking up the car. This is when you need to be on your toes as the people at the receiving end will attempt to get you out the door as quickly as possible and once you drive off the lot, what has happened to the car is now YOUR PROBLEM!!!! In my case, I dropped of my truck when it was raining (imagine that, winter time in Washington state). When I picked up the truck at the other end, it was all mildewed inside. They paid for a complete detailing of the trucks interior. Also note the mileage when you pick up the car. With a nice car, the guys on the lot may want to take it for a drive (I know they were eyeing my truck really hard as it was lifted and was something completely different than they normally see, got many complements from the people and a few requests to take the truck for a drive). If you want to know more, please let me know by sending me an e-mail.

As for disconnecting the battery, that is not required. I will however caution you that if you have a car alarm on the vehicle, that you turn it off. In most cases, the car alarm pulls enough power that after a week or so of the car setting without being started, it will drain the battery completely. This will ultimately result in you having to buy a new battery at your own expense. The shipping company will not disconnect the battery during transportation. So, no relearning will be required. Should your battery get drained for whatever reason and the computer looses its memory, all that is required is a few gentle starts, run up to about 40 mph and then braking to a stop. Drive like you always do. After that, the car has figured out how you drive and will know all it needs to.

One last tidbit, make sure that the gas tank is effectively dry. The shipping company is going to need the gas tank under 1/8th of a tank. They should tell you before dropping off the car. If they think that it is higher than that, you will be driving around the block a lot of times to get the level down low enough.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks Thermo for the reply. I'm actually shipping it in a container, properly strapped and braced. It will be sealed, a seal number given, only to be opened by customs if required here in he US and then at port of destination in my presence. Will be driving it to the port with a few things in the trunk and on the rear seat. I found out about the less than 1/8th a tank too, and was worried as well about people driving the car; that and being able to keep things in the car is why I chose a container instead of the RORO.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Peniole, if you are doing it the way that you are saying, then all should be good. I would load up the car as much as possible with things that you will need at your destination. The other thing that I would tell you to do is to find out when the containers leave your local port and then get the car there a few days before hand so it can be loaded for that next shipment and then do all this about 2 weeks before you have to leave. That way by the time you get to your new destination, it is that much less time without the car. When I was coming from Hawaii to Washington, I lived close enough to work that I dropped off my truck the month before and it was waiting for me when I landed (had a son that lived in the area and he picked up the truck for me). That was really nice. But, not everyone may be in a situation like I was.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:49 AM

I've looked up their sailing times, and may have them pick it up in the container and seal it here in salt lake, or drive to the port depending on how much they quote. I'm hoping (fingers crossed), that I've timed it just right. I should be there just before it arrives.

I'm excited to get it home and see the look on Dad's face once he drive's it You just can't help fall in love with the car, driving dynamics quircks and all, I'm going to miss it. No budget for a while to get another one for myself