General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OEM, OE vs aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts
Default OEM, OE vs aftermarket parts

If I need an air filter element or an oil filter for my Jaguar I buy an official Jaguar brand part at the dealer for an inflated cost. The air filter box says Jaguar on it & the oil filter is white & has the Jaguar logo. I can also by other brands in local auto parts shops that fit Jaguar; AC Delco, Mann, Fram, Bosch, etc.

If I look online for a cheaper Jaguar Brand part it gets a bit murky as to what is & what is not a Jaguar part. Some online vendors mislead the customer into thinking they are getting a genuine Jaguar brand part but it is really an aftermarket part that meets or exceeds all manufacturer specifications. (allegedly)

AutohauseAZ has a lengthy explanation on OEM, OE, OES & Aftermarket.

My experience has been that a filter made by Mann (Sold by AutohauseAZ) looks very similar to the Jaguar brand filter but is a slightly different size. ( showed both to a mechanic who pointed this out.) I had found an ignition coil sold by AutoShack listed as OEM Jaguar but branded Duralast which is the AutoShack brand. Wells Manufacturing made it & they admitted it IS an aftermarket part & not a genuine Jaguar part with their label. (Of course it meets or exceeds..., yada, yada, yada)

I quote a portion of this web site.

http://www.autohausaz.com/jaguar-aut...-shopping.html

“OEM (original equipment manufactured) and OES (original equipment supplied) many times are one and the same. OE, of course, is a more generic term that refers to the brand that came as original equipment on the car. Most auto manufacturers assemble cars from purchased components and manufacture only the sheet metal components.
Therefore, the "factory part" you can buy from your Jaguar dealer was most likely made by another company, sold to Jaguar and then resold to the dealer for ultimate sale to you.
An important point many people are unaware of is the fact that multiple OES brands are not only normal but are actually mandated by international standards as part of the qualifications for ISO certification. Car manufacturers must have secondary sourcing (i.e., multiple suppliers) for certain types of parts in order that any problems with one supplier will not disable the car manufacturer's production and allow for substitution of the other brand for new production and any warranty replacement or repairs.
As an example, the original VDO pump may be interchanged with the Bosch unit with equal performance, the ZKW foglight may be interchanged with the Hella unit or the Norbbitt brake rotors replaced with Zimmermann.
We deal directly with many OEM/OES companies and stock the exact same parts as your local Jaguar dealer - usually at substantially lower prices! It may not always come in a package with Jaguar's name but it is, in fact, the very same part, manufactured by the very same company.”

The purpose of this post is not to start a debate about whether brand X is equal to or better than genuine Jaguar brand. Rather to discuss OEM & claims by vendors re parts.
Comments?

Opinions?

Steve

Old 11-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,787 Likes on 7,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Iconoclast
The purpose of this post is not to start a debate about whether brand X is equal to or better than genuine Jaguar brand. Rather to discuss OEM & claims by vendors re parts.
Comments?

Opinions?

You've touched on one of my pet peeves. The term "OEM" is thrown about rather loosely and sometimes flat-out erroneously. Add to this that some vendors use Jaguar part numbers in their listings....which adds to the confusion or, possiby, deception.

From your quoted passage it sounds like Autohauz addresses the issue up-front.

I prefer vendors who disclose the actual brand name of the parts you are buying. If they don't, you should ask...and even then you have to be careful. One vendor listed a Lucas coil under a Lucas part number. I asked if they were selling *actual* Lucas coils and the answer was "yes". What I rec'd was a Brand-X coil in an un-marked box! I was pi**ed off....and when I complained they vendor blew me off.

In another (not quite so flagrant) case a vendor is selling XJS V12 distributor caps. Although the text of the listing doesn't mention the manufacturer one way or the other, the photograph clearly shows a bona-fide Marelli distributor cap. What you receive is NOT a genuine Marelli cap. You have to watch out for "file" photographs depicting something other than what is actually being sold.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

With the amount of stuff being made in China, it really makes a difference to know what you are getting. I hate not seeing a brand name mentioned, it makes me not trust the vendor as much. I don't always insist on true OEM parts, but I do like to know exactly who made my parts and where. Then I can judge for myself how likely it is to be decent quality or not. I wish there was a country of origin law that require them to state where parts were made before ordering. Although I have read about some Chinese manufacturers setting up plants in Germany just to get the coveted "Made in Germany" stamp. It is becoming frustratingly difficult to be sure you are getting quality at a decent price. I bought some Bilstein/Febi tie rod ends for a Mercedes, and the box has Bilstein/Febi Germany printed all over it but a white sticker on the box says "Made in India", of course there is no mention of that when you view the part online. However, I have noticed that price is generally a good guide, the cheaper parts are usually from Far East countries, and the more expensive items are USA/European made. Shopping around can yield big savings on the good stuff, because although many vendors offer the same catalogs of parts, they all set different prices.

My advice is to shop from places that state the manufacturers. Many of the WORLDPAC distributors do this, then you can do a little more research. Calling the vendor is useful if they have a trustworthy reputation. They can sometimes tell you what company was the original equipment supplier to the OEM. Then you can rest a little easier ordering that company's part instead of paying for the same thing in a Jaguar box. But the quality may have changed in the years since the original part was supplied, maybe better now, maybe it was cheapened and is not as durable now. Maybe it is made in an entirely different plant overseas now. It really gets to be almost impossible to track, and checking with other owner's on a forum is good technique to look out for pitfalls on a certain item.

Don't be afraid to ask for a better price, many times you can get them to price match. This is handy when you want to order all your parts from one place, but maybe you noticed a few items were much better priced elsewhere.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jaguar don't MAKE parts. big outfits make, for example, air filters. Then they put them in a box that says Jaguar on the front.
A recent experience of mine:- Our annual (for cars over 3 years old) MOT test.
My car needed new wiper blades. On the S type, different lengths and with the washer jet on the arm I thought they would be a dealer only part. "Yes sir, we have a pair in stock, Ł29.99 thank you very much". The label on the packaging said "Made in Mexico to Jaguar specification". When I started fitting them I saw they were stamped TRICO, The ones I was replacing were stamped TRICO Made in England.
I enquired at my local car spares shop, "Yes sir, we have them in stock, Ł9.99"
Nice one Mr.Jaguar That's one hell of a mark up.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  19.3 KB

Victor is soo right on this......

I used to work for an (OEM) based in Orange blossom trail, Orlando, Florida who made / make asphalt plants ( look them up )
Anyhow, yes they designed the plant and yes they then put out to various machine shops / fab shops etc etc for parts to be made. In essence they probably made around 5% of the equipment in house....the rest was ALL bought in.
These parts were supplied to the aftermarket as "OEM spares" usually with at least a 40% markup, sometimes twice that!

Doug also makes some excellent points -
We ( at the company I refer to ) could supply ""OEM"" parts when asked for by the customer. these parts usually came from maybe 1 out of 3 potential suppliers, who we had supplied drawings to. It all depended on who was the cheapest, or who could supply the quickest, maybe even who we were NOT on stop with, but......ALL were OEM quality parts

Generally, IMO anything that meets or exceeds the manufaturers specs will do the job!
On that note - we did of course used to get customers asking that very question. The answer?
Basically we put the fear of god into them about using "pirate" or spurious parts using technical sounding info to back up claims we made......all to make a $$$$

Old 11-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

It is easy to be cynical & assume “all that stuff" is the same & only price matters. Yes, Jaguar does not make parts. Jaguar most likely has more than one supplier for each part & that may well change over the years. However, it is up to each owner to decide which parts, if any, they are willing to purchase as generic/aftermarket versions. The fact that a web site or even a manufacturer CLAIMS that a given aftermarket part meets or exceeds all the Jaguar specs does not necessarily mean that claim is true.

I wish to know unequivocally whether a given part for sale is a Jaguar (sanctioned) part or not.

For me personally, I buy Jaguar brand oil filters. I realize many aftermarket brands may be as good or better but being unable to find objective, independent tests that convince me of that fact -- coupled with my low mileage, synthetic oil use resulting in only needing one filter per year -- I “splurge” on a Jaguar brand filter. <GRIN>The price difference is trivial compared to the peace of mind. For wiper blade replacements, once I found out the cost of Jaguar brand I didn’t even consider buying them & have used various aftermarket brands. Some don’t appear to conform to the windshield at the edge but, it rarely rains in sunny Phoenix, AZ. Jaguar’s manual suggesting to buy Jaguar brand windshield cleaner is obvious nonsense, IMO. The idea that Jaguar brand glass is somehow different & requires some special branded cleaner is silly. I do buy a new Jaguar brand drain plug with oil changes even though I look at my old one & it seems perfectly fine. For $7-8 I just go with the Jaguar instructions. Again, peace of mind.
For Coolant I don’t buy the Jaguar brand by the liter at outrageous prices, I buy Prestone 5/150 Orange Extended life by the gallon for much less. For parts like ignition coils & many other parts, I lack the expertise to determine whether an particular manufacturer is reputable enough for me to believe their claims of meeting Jaguar specs so I tend to go with the Jaguar brand (yes, it is only Jaguar approved, certified, etc.)

In any case, I certainly want to know exactly what I am buying in order to make a decision. I do not appreciate misleading listings or verbal clams by sellers when they sell an aftermarket part as if it is a Jaguar brand part. I consider that fraud. Same as if you are sold a used part as new.

BTW, air filter elements have become very pricey from the dealer. Now $53.25! Recommended change is 30K miles but, I do at approx. 10-15K. I had purchased Mann brand which is sold with the same part number as Jaguar & the same colors but I think I detect a whistling noise at high speeds when I use that vs. the actual Jaguar brand. Yes, it may be unrelated & Mann may actually make the Jaguar brand filters, & put in a Jaguar box.

Steve