General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power seat wiring to make it work Outside the car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power seat wiring to make it work Outside the car?

I just picked up up a 2004 XJ Driver Seat. The seller said it works fine and I'd like to use it as my PS3 Gran Turismo seat. But I cannot get the controls to work.

I applied 12v @ 2amps to the power connector and grounded the negative but nothing happens, not even a click. Does anyone here know what I need to do to make the seat work outside the car? I plan to use a 4.5ah SLA 12v battery from Rat Shack to run the power adjustments once I figure out the wiring. I looked at the seat wiring diagram online and it's pretty much giberish to me.

There's never been a gaming chair I ever liked but I can sit in a Jaguar seat all day long. Now if I can just get it wired I can play Gran Turismo in comfort! Any help is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

rtpworld, a 12V/2A power supply is no where near what the seat needs to move. You need to be looking at something that will supply say 12V at 20A. So, using a small motorcycle battery for example may be wise to verify things will work. THen you can use a small trickle charger (a 200mA unit) to maintain the battery and then use the battery itself to power the chair. As long as you are not running the chair up and down constantly for an hour, you will have more than enough power.

If you need more help, let me know. I can help you out with this sort of project. I have looked into doing this as part of my "man cave". I thought it would be fun to use a set of say Corvette seats to make my recliners out of. Then to possibly have a reclining couch made from a truck bench seat. We will see.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
James h (05-17-2020), Zelandakh (04-15-2015)
Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Default Thanks Thermo - any wiring advice?

Thanks Thermo. I was using a 2A battery charger but I can use a source that provides 20A. There must be something to do with the other two connectors under the seat? Maybe just power to the power connector won't allow the seat to move unless something on the other connector allows it? So you can see I am fairly clueless on how to wire the seat so it will move.

A man cave with Corvette seat recliners sounds really cool. I used to watch that show Home Improvement with Tim Allen and they always had some cool stuff like that.

I'd like to post some pics of the build once I get more done that just buying the seat. So far it's been used only as a reading chair for my 4-yr old. That'll change once I can adjust it a bit though.

Thanks a million,
Dave

Old 04-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

rtpworld, here, I will help you out a little bit.

With the 12 way power driver's seat (that has memory), you need to apply the positive 12 VDC to pins SD27-2 (brown/green wire), SD3-6 (brown/red wire), and SD4-13 (brown/green wire) on the control module under the seat. You will also need to provide power over to Pins SD5-7, SD29-8, and SD5-12 (all 3 wires are brown/green wires) on the button panel. This power may already be wired for you from pin 13 on the control module. So, just verify that.

You will need to ground (connect to the negative supply) Pins SD27-1 (black wire), SD3-5 (black wire), and SD4-26 (black/pink wire) on the control module, the ground wire coming off of the lumbar support air motor (black/pink wire), and to Pins SD29-1, SD5-6, and SD5-1 (all 3 wires are black/pink wires). The 3 wires coming off of the switch panel may already be wired up.

If you have a different style seat (there were 3 different options for this year), let me know. But, you can use the wire colors that I am providing and that will give you an idea of where power needs to be put. In short, the brown wires with a colored stripe on them (not the solid brown wires) need to have 12 VDC applied to them. The black or black and pink wires need to be grounded. You follow this general rule, you can make almost any Jaguar seat work for what you are looking at. keep in mind that you are going to need to supply power to multiple wires and you will also need to ground multiple wires. So, just because you have found 3 wires, there may be more than need something attached to them. I am also making the assumption that you have the plugs from the main harness still attached to the modules/button panels.

if you need more help, just hollar. i will do what I can.

The following 4 users liked this post by Thermo:
Lcgi (04-05-2013), ProCam (05-03-2017), rtpworld (04-28-2012), Zelandakh (04-15-2015)
Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Default That is some great detailed info!

Thermo,
Thanks for taking the time to give so much detail to help me. Now I will have to wake up earlier in the morning to get started on the wires. It sounds like you know exactly what's needed to run the seat so I'm looking forward to posting the good results tomorrow. Thanks a million for taking time to help!

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Default Closer...

Spent some time on the wires tonight. I must have missed a wire but the lumbar pump works great, the other switched make a light buzzing sound and the tilt forward/backward does nothing. The module has a label that says 10-way on it. So I must have missed a wire but it's doing "something" at least. I hope to have more time this weekend to get further.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Progress at least.
Don't forget to post a pic of you holding your joystick when it is finished.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Wiring diagrams for the 2004 XJ to download here http://jaguar.bttlxe.com/xj/2004%20XJ.zip

Old 05-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Default Wiring and pics...

Thanks Cambo351. *The diagrams will help for sure. **Here's a couple pics. *Maybe there will be some more 'assembled' pics this weekend.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I'm not real familar with the XJ, but a few things spring to mind;

On an X-Type with Memory Seats, you need to have the handbrake on otherwise the adjustment changing from one memory setting to the other doesn't work. Not sure about an XJ but maybe there is a trigger wire to the seat module to confirm if the handbrake is on, or if not handbrake, then maybe the foot brake.

Be careful not to put power on the Airbag or Seatbelt buckle connections!
Airbag is obvious one but would also be an explosive pre-tensioner in the buckle.

The seat module might also need other signals that it would normally get from the car. I don't know, and sorry I haven't got time to check the wiring diagrams myself. If I find time later I'll have a look.

The far right connector in your pic (thick wires) is obviously the power connector. I imagine there are a number of "signal" connections needed on the other connectors. The wiring diagrams should help pin them down.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Default Airbag IN the seat?

There's an airbag in the seat itself? That's scary since I put power all over this thing trying to get the recline part to work. Maybe I should cut the wires to the seat belt connector and the airbag? Wow - glad the airbag didn't go off while I was goofing around. That would have surprised me. I blocked a couple hours this weekend to mount it to the gaming rig. I think it's about 8 hours from complete (without considering the seat power wiring).

Dave

Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 AM

Hi everyone

Firstly sorry for dragging up an old thread.

I have just bought a set of X350 electric, heated and cooled seats from a breaker but they are not to go in a Jag. After searching the net and finding this forum you guys seem very helpful and knowledgeable.

I am currently doing a campervan conversion and loved the look of the seats so I snapped them up when I saw them. The problem is, on looking underneath I have no idea where to start with the wiring! Is it simply a case of hooking up the supply, negative and earths to get them to work or is a lot more complex?

Any help would be great.

I have put a few pics below to show what I am working with.

Name:  photo4.jpg
Views: 13324
Size:  115.2 KB

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 9708
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 13248
Size:  123.7 KB

Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rich,

The seats have an Airbag fitted to the outer side of the backrest and must be treated with great care to avoid accidental deployment.

You'll have seen they have handed cushions but use a common backrest frame and seat adjuster mechanism. Switch packs are installed on the outer side of both seats but operate through the Seat Modules.

The driver seat has a seat track position sensor and the passenger seat has an occupant weight sensing system, both the components form an integral part of the occupant restraints system.

The standard front seat is equipped with electric height adjustment, forward and rearward adjustment, seat cushion tilt, head restraint and seat backrest recline motors. They also incorporate a two way lumbar support assembly that is fitted to the seat backrest and inflates an air filled bladder to give the required support.

For advice and information on dismantling, follow this link XJ ( X350 & X358 ) XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the X350 section. Members who have has issues with Seat Modules or Occupancy Restraint faults should be able to help with the circuit.

Good luck.

Graham

Old 04-05-2013, 10:50 AM

Hi Graham

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been doing a bit of digging and have found some wiring diagrams but they might not be for the exact seat.

I'll see what else I can find.

Cheers

Rich

Old 04-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Veteran member

Rich, first off, welcome to the Forums. i think you will like your time here. But, we do ask one thing. Please stop by the New Member section and introduce yourself. We like to get to know one another. You may even find some friendly people here too.

As for your situation, please let me know what year car the seats came out of. That way I can make sure to get you the exact information for the seats. We should be able to get you taken care of and make the seats work like you want. Barring some major computer issue, I can make them work.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM

Hi Thermo

Thanks for the reply and I'll be sure to put a message on the new member section.

The seats, so I'm told are out of a 2006/7 jaguar XJR/x350. They are the electronic, heated and cooled versions with, u think judging by the control module a 12 point adjustment.

One of my major concerns is that the airbag/pretension systems will go pop while wiring them in.

Any help would be great and if you need more info/photos just ask and I'll try to get it.

This seems like a great forum, thanks guys!

Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Wiring diagrams for the 2004 XJ to download here http://jaguar.bttlxe.com/xj/2004%20XJ.zip
Hi,

Do you know if these apply to 2005 S-Type seats with lumbar, also?

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

Whitekitty, the plug arrangement is a little different most likely. I would need to look at my diagrams at home (currently at work). I can get you the pins that you need to worry about when it comes to getting power to the seat and making it move.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrific! I believe that I have the 8- way seats, with heat and the lumbar adjustments. Currently the heat, seat up(bottom cushion) and lumbar functions do not work for the passengers seat. All other adjustments work fine.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Thermo
Whitekitty, the plug arrangement is a little different most likely. I would need to look at my diagrams at home (currently at work). I can get you the pins that you need to worry about when it comes to getting power to the seat and making it move.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

Whitekitty, ok, looking at the drawings, you will need to spread some wiring out to make this all work. So, if you have any questions, please let me know and worst case, I will send you the diagrams and hopefully it will make more sense to you.

Now, for power. I think the easiest way to do this will be to simply send you the diagrams for the car. That will show you where all the pins are located and what power needs to go where. As long as you can read wiring diagrams, this will make it as easy as possible. Then if you are still having issues, I can help from there. So, please PM me your e-mail addy and I will send you the diagrams.

Quick Reply: Power seat wiring to make it work Outside the car?