General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

USA Dual Vin

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 04:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USA Dual Vin

HI from a Newbie.
Trying to import a 1995 USA spec X300 VDP 4.0 to France. Vehicle has been imported and registered in the UK. There is a problem with the VIN number(s). The one stamped in the boot is different to that on the door sticker and windscreen tag.
The final numbers are the same, but the boot, (trunk), cold stamp reads: SAJJKXLO4SS******, The Door sticker/Screen reads: SAJKX1743SC******.
The UK registration document shows the door/screen version. The Certificate of Conformity issued by Jaguar France shows the door/screen version.
The French authorities require all VIN numbers to tally, (to prove that the car is not "ringed".
What is the story with these double VIN numbers for USA market. How do I prove that it is for the same car? I'm aware of how the numbers de-code and that the final 6 numbers are the individual car I.D.
Official proof is going to be necessary for the French registration authorities. Any ideas as to how to resolve this?

Old 03-26-2018, 06:35 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Have you tried the Jaguar customer service people?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...ip-centre-101/

They're under Brand Review in the forum list.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:19 AM

Thanks rhomanski, I've now PM'd them.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim06
[left]
What is the story with these double VIN numbers for USA market.
USA (and Canada, too, I think) use a different VIN system.

The one in the boot is (what I call) the 'born with' VIN and the other is the one that conforms to USA requirements.

I think Japan has unique requirements as well.

I've seen the same confusion on other cars over the years.

How do I prove that it is for the same car? I'm aware of how the numbers de-code and that the final 6 numbers are the individual car I.D.
Official proof is going to be necessary for the French registration authorities. Any ideas as to how to resolve this?

So, you've tried to register the car and been turned away? Or are you assuming you'll be turned away?

On one hand I guess anything can be expected from 'the authorities' but, on the other, this dual-VIN thing is common and shouldn't set-off alarm bells.

Heck, 20+ years ago I needed and 'official' VIN inspection on one of my Jags and the officer/inspector was well versed on the dual VIN thing and had no issues with it. He explained the situation to ME. And this was in semi-rural NW small-town USA where merely having all your teeth makes you a member of the local aristocracy.

But, I agree that contacting Jaguar for something 'official' is the best choice

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 03-26-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: sp
The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 09:02 AM

Thanks Doug,
The car is in the process of being presented. I have a "Partial" Certificate of conformity issued by Jaguar France. This is issued under the door/screen VIN as that is what's on the UK document as well!
However, prior to the next stage (Inspection by the authorities for vehicles that don't fully conform), The car has to be presented for a Controle Technique, (Roadworthiness Certificate). On this te discrepancie between the two VINs was noted. The French insist on analy verifying the number in all it's locations!
A previous owner had started the import procedure before we got the car, and although this was never completed, (and now has to be started again), it went as far as asking for the reason for the discrepancy!
I've now contacted the Jaguar customer relations people, (via the forum), so am awaiting their reply!
You wouldn't believe the bureaucracy involved in registering a car in France! I know I need all info correct and doubt very much they know anything about Dual VINs!

Old 05-10-2022, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tim06
Thanks Doug,
The car is in the process of being presented. I have a "Partial" Certificate of conformity issued by Jaguar France. This is issued under the door/screen VIN as that is what's on the UK document as well!
However, prior to the next stage (Inspection by the authorities for vehicles that don't fully conform), The car has to be presented for a Controle Technique, (Roadworthiness Certificate). On this te discrepancie between the two VINs was noted. The French insist on analy verifying the number in all it's locations!
A previous owner had started the import procedure before we got the car, and although this was never completed, (and now has to be started again), it went as far as asking for the reason for the discrepancy!
I've now contacted the Jaguar customer relations people, (via the forum), so am awaiting their reply!
You wouldn't believe the bureaucracy involved in registering a car in France! I know I need all info correct and doubt very much they know anything about Dual VINs!
hi! I am having the same issue with Spain authorities, how did you solve it?