General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

USB charger installation

Old 01-15-2018, 03:50 PM
Aix
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default USB charger installation

Since I don't smoke anymore but instead have developed a large need to charge devices when driving, I looked for a way to get rid of the front cigarette lighter in my XJ8 and replace it with something more helpful. I always disliked the adapters you can stick into the lighter because they tend to slip out and generally stick out like a sore thumb.

Not a very sophisticated mod, but maybe it helps some here to get decent charging power without having to bother with an adapter.
I found this nice little thing on ebay with 2 USB charging ports and a voltmeter (always comes in handy to have one).

dual USB charger with integrated voltmeter

After ripping out the cigarette lighter (and I mean that, there was no non-destructive way to get this thing out of the ashtray insert) and reworking the opening slightly with a file the charger fit perfectly into the opening. For power supply just cut the cable from the lighter and connect to the charger instead.
That's how it looks now, charging is maybe not fully up to mentioned 2 x 2.1A but allows navigation by phone app and still has enough power to charge.

Now we can easily charge 2 phones in front, the whole thing is gone when the flap is closed and I even know my battery and charging system is healthy (solid 14.4V when running).
And as the lighters in the XJ8 are ignition-powered there is even no worry that the voltmeter will drain the battery when the car is off.

I'll still replace one of the 2 lighters in the back with a dual charger w/o voltmeter so the kids can plug in their gadgets and keep the other back lighter original if I need it one day for some device that plugs into a regular lighter socket. Praised be the overkill to have 3 lighters in one car !

No big work, but extremely useful to get the cat one step closer to the mobile equipment world we have today

Last edited by GGG; 01-16-2018 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Typo in thread title
The following users liked this post:
GGG (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Aix
..... Praised be the overkill to have 3 lighters in one car ! .....
My XK doesn't even have one. It's fitted with a Jaguar logo'd blanking plug in the 'power socket' where the earlier 2007 XK had a functioning lighter.

Neat idea for powering the increasing number of USB devices many of us carry around. I also found several listed on ebay UK.

It's usually necessary to remove the centre console on a Jaguar to remove/refit the lighter non-destructively.

Graham

Old 01-16-2018, 03:46 AM
Aix
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I would assume that the original wiring for the lighters is probably behind the plug. Often it's cheaper for an OEM to keep variants down than it is to save a few inches of cable for a specific harness. So you might be lucky that you find the power behind the plug.

BTW, I had taken out the complete ashtray element to access the lighter from behind for civilized disassembly and exchange. But the 2 plastic noses that held it in place were extremely tight to access and just wouldn't bend. And as I didn't need the lighter body anymore and couldn't freely move because the thing was still tied to the cable of the LPG control switch I had to gnaw it to pieces with a sidecutter

Old 01-16-2018, 05:57 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Looks good in the picture as long as it's sturdily installed, I'd say good job. I've always liked to modify my cars to make them more user friendly.

I've read some hate for them but I always wanted cup holders in my Firebirds. Pontiac left them out of the third gen. I did put extra lights in them. They light up like a Christmas tree when you open the doors. Cup holders would be too much of a change to the interior though, you lose the stock look.

The Corvette came with two, perfectly sized for a soda can, with a door that folds down the side and disappears until you pull it up and it covers the holes. Similar to the way the Jag works.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Aix
I would assume that the original wiring for the lighters is probably behind the plug. .....
The socket is wired and working in the later models - just no lighter and a custom blank plug instead. A lighter and ashtray is now an extra charge option.

Graham

Old 02-26-2018, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine broke on my 2011 XFR and what they wanted to fix it was just insane, lol I just left it alone