General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

XJ8-X350 differences US vs. EU Model?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XJ8-X350 differences US vs. EU Model?

Hi to all Jaguar Owners,

i have an difficult question about my JAGUAR.

I own one of the first series X350 XJ8, normal wheelbase, 4.2 V8 NA, Modellyear 2003 original purchased from a german dealership.

Can this model beeing exportet to USA? I have seen cars from the same type driving on the highway with US-license-plates if i was there last year.

Who knows more about the technical differences between my EU (german) an the US model??

Are there more differences than only miles and lamps ?

Hope that you can help me.

Many tanks !

Tecmike

Old 08-30-2015, 07:23 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum tecmike.

When you get a moment stop by our new members area and introduce yourself =>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I think the technical differences between a US and EU spec vehicle will be irrelevant, since it's my understanding that you can't just import a car to the US, unless it is over a certain age or a very unique/rare vehicle.

Besides, the cost of an XJ in the US will be lower than in Germany anyhow, even if you could import it, why would you bother?

Old 08-31-2015, 07:12 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

You will need to google a few US web sites re importing cars into he US. Here is one such site: Importing a Motor Vehicle | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

I imported my '04 X350 from Canada to the US a number of years ago. In my case, I was able to get a US compliance letter from Jaguar, and the car had the compliance stickers on the door frame and radiator shroud. The car did not require any testing or converting. So, it was a relatively simple and cheap process for me.

Your car will have to met US emissions and safety standards that were in effect for the 2003 model year. Since the X350 was not sold in NA in 2003, I don't think you will be able to get a compliance letter from Jaguar. And even if the X350 was sold in NA in 2003, Jaguar probably couldn't issue a compliance letter anyway, as there are bound to be some safety & emissions differences between Europe and the US. Without such a compliance letter and the car not being old enough to be exempt, I believe you would have to go through a very costly testing/conversion process at a certified conversion shop. I think you would find it is much cheaper to sell the car in Europe, and buy another one in the US. If you were coming over for a short stay, I think there is a process by which you can bring the car in temporarily by posting a substantial bond to ensure the car leaves the country or destroyed at the end of it's designated short stay.