I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Things The Next I-Pace Should Fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default 5 Things The Next I-Pace Should Fix

Having had the I-Pace for several months now I think I can detail what they will likely fix in the next version of the car by priority.

450kW Charging: Right now, the I-Pace should be able to use 150kW, but it doesn’t appear it can be upgraded much past this and 450kW chargers are going in with Porsche’s Taycan being the first to market with support for this class of charger late this year. This will be a problem for any electric not supporting this new power level and if Jaguar wants to sell electric cars much after the end of this year, they’ll need to support this power level.

More Range: (Different Front motor) right now the best guess as to why the I-Pace doesn’t have substantially longer range is that its front moto, unlike Tesla, isn’t freewheeling when it isn’t needed and continues to pull power. But to be competitive it needs to be much closer to a 300 Mi range than it currently is best case.

Fixed Electronics: The central electronics for entertainment, navigation, and HVAC control is not only slow it is glitchy. Better after patching but this continues to drive down review scores and issues continue to be reported across the forums. One of the fixes is the ability to wirelessly connect with Apple CarPlay, something that wasn’t enabled within the current product.

Level 2+ Autonomous Driving: Right now, the implementation is a weak level 2, ok for short moment on straight streets hands-free. Most of the coming cars will be level 2+, more like what Tesla had deployed and now they are talking Level 3+ by year end. Once again, to keep up, Jaguar will need to advance this technology.

Self-cleaning camera lenses: I don’t know how this was missed but in weather the camera lenses can get covered with dirt rendering many of the systems that depend on them unreliable or inoperable. Self-parking, lane assist, and accident avoidance systems all are adversely impacted. While not uncommon the coming wave of cars are mostly slated to have washers that can clear the lenses and/or camera placement behind the windscreen where the windshield wipers cover.

Let me know if you think something else should make the top 5 list (I'll be doing a column on this topic this month).

Last edited by enderle; 06-06-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-04-2019, 03:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not too bad a first attempt at Jaguar as it continues to win awards:
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/04/...#slide-7494190

For this range of luxury vehicle, I would like to see the power adjustable steering that allows easy entry/exit and the headlights that illuminate when the blinker is on in the direction indicated as well as turn with the steering. I have these in my XJL and miss them in the iPace.

At least we do have the option that cleans the headlights on every 4 wiper cleanings, but yes, they should add that for the cameras as well.

I agree that next versions should take efficiency in the motors as a key consideration, but to not sacrifice the performance. I for one love the performance and would not want to give that up.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:50 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd like to see the maps and traffic info from Google. The current traffic feed for maps is spotty at best. There's virtually no info on secondary roads.
I know, I know I can use Android Auto but I'd like to see it supported natively.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by mjsammon
I'd like to see the maps and traffic info from Google. The current traffic feed for maps is spotty at best. There's virtually no info on secondary roads.
I know, I know I can use Android Auto but I'd like to see it supported natively.
I'm not aware of anyone doing this yet, too much concern about Android and security. But if you know of someone doing this I'll check it out.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Default It is doing well

Originally Posted by alphanstein
Not too bad a first attempt at Jaguar as it continues to win awards:
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/04/...#slide-7494190

For this range of luxury vehicle, I would like to see the power adjustable steering that allows easy entry/exit and the headlights that illuminate when the blinker is on in the direction indicated as well as turn with the steering. I have these in my XJL and miss them in the iPace.

At least we do have the option that cleans the headlights on every 4 wiper cleanings, but yes, they should add that for the cameras as well.

I agree that next versions should take efficiency in the motors as a key consideration, but to not sacrifice the performance. I for one love the performance and would not want to give that up.
Thanks for the link. Yes, it is doing well, agree I miss the active headlights I used to have in my Audi, pain to fix when it broke, but it was nice to better see around corners. The Model 3 (Tesla) outperforms the I-Pace so they should be able to do those motors while holding performance.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
I'm not aware of anyone doing this yet, too much concern about Android and security. But if you know of someone doing this I'll check it out.
Checkout the Volvo Polestar.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...e-android-car/

Old 03-06-2019, 12:24 PM

I'd forgotten about Volvo, they do some interesting things. This looks like they are using the Open Source version of Android much like Amazon does with their Fire Tablets to create a non-Google supported platform. Google does play in this space but security concerns have hampered car maker acceptance, QNX remains the most popular platform largely because of its security chops. But this was a good reference and if Volvo is looking at this likely others are as well. Worth watching, thanks!

Old 03-11-2019, 06:55 PM

I thought of something else. The damn charging door should self close when you put the car in gear. Eventually I'm going to forget and break the thing off on my garage doorway. Just missed doing that several times and I even put up a "please close door" sign above the charging cradle on the wall. Just too easy to forget when you are in a hurry.

The following users liked this post:
jlainie (09-14-2020)
Old 03-12-2019, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by enderle
I thought of something else. The damn charging door should self close when you put the car in gear. Eventually I'm going to forget and break the thing off on my garage doorway. Just missed doing that several times and I even put up a "please close door" sign above the charging cradle on the wall. Just too easy to forget when you are in a hurry.
Or at the very least a sensor indicating that the door is open. On several occasions after charging up at work I thought I had closed the door. But upon arriving home I found the door is slightly open. The latching mechanism doesn't give enough tactile feedback.

jlainie (09-14-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 04:23 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

<deleted>

Last edited by veffremov; 07-12-2020 at 04:28 AM. Reason: delete bad formating
Old 07-12-2020, 04:26 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by veffremov
I'd forgotten about Volvo, they do some interesting things. This looks like they are using the Open Source version of Android much like Amazon does with their Fire Tablets to create a non-Google supported platform. Google does play in this space but security concerns have hampered car maker acceptance, QNX remains the most popular platform largely because of its security chops. But this was a good reference and if Volvo is looking at this likely others are as well. Worth watching, thanks!
Actually the whole system is developed by Google working with Volvo. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-infotainment/

enderle (07-14-2020)