I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I-Pace Level 2 Charging - Specify times through Jag App?

Old 01-25-2019, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I-Pace Level 2 Charging - Specify times through Jag App?

I will be picking up my I-Pace HSE in 2 weeks. I am currently considering Level 2 EVSE's - and trying to decide whether I need the more expensive ones with WiFi/Apps of their own.

Does the I-Pace and/or Jaguar App allow for charging only during certain times, to take advantage of off-peak electricity rates? Or will I need to have a connected Level 2 charger to do that?

Old 01-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

As of right now that is something that is handled by the charger, though I think it could be handled by the car with a level 2 (it just isn't a feature I'm aware of). This may be a safety requirement but that is just speculation.Rob

I'm in error under preconditioning settings you can set charging times.

Last edited by enderle; 01-26-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-25-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
As of right now that is something that is handled by the charger, though I think it could be handled by the car with a level 2 (it just isn't a feature I'm aware of). This may be a safety requirement but that is just speculation.
Okay thanks - that's too bad! I'm hoping that they keep updates for the App rolling out regularly. One other question, when 'pre-conditioning' - can you specify that the front and rear windshield heater turn on as well?

Old 01-26-2019, 06:22 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

It depends if you want to keep track of your charging usage.
I, reluctantly, went with the Chargepoint level 2 charger. I say reluctantly because Chargepoint requires you to enter a credit card to use their app (gave them a 1 star review on Amazon). But I bought it because my employer has them in their parking lot and I can charge for free while I work. I get notified via the app when my charging time is up and if there are other people waiting I move my car.

When charging at home if you enter your electric utility rate you can track the cost also.

As for preconditioning, it only warms the battery not the windshield heaters.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

I changed my answer on charging control, went into the preconditioning settings to see if I could make selections and I can't but found I could set charging times in a sub menu. So you can control charging from the car. Not sure of the logic for putting this under preconditioning but I've noticed a lot of the settings aren't in places that seem that intuitive.

Here is a link to a video that showcases both charging and preconditioning capability:

Last edited by enderle; 01-26-2019 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-27-2019, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by enderle
I changed my answer on charging control, went into the preconditioning settings to see if I could make selections and I can't but found I could set charging times in a sub menu. So you can control charging from the car. Not sure of the logic for putting this under preconditioning but I've noticed a lot of the settings aren't in places that seem that intuitive.

Here is a link to a video that showcases both charging and preconditioning capability: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc7NOrIMhzg
Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for. This is good, since it means I can confirm a non-connected Level 2 charger, and just use the I-Pace itself to specify charge times and pre-conditioning. Thanks a lot for following up on this. I do find that the dealerships are still a bit clueless about the details of the I-Pace. There's going to be quite a steep learning curve for these traditional dealerships with the I-Pace.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Uncertainty over charging scheduled by I-Pace

in my Jaguar I-Pace I can specify the charging times which it calls “preferred” times, but it doesn’t seem to make anything happen.. I’m using the Hypervolt scheduling instead which works. I’m left uncertain whether the Jaguar scheduling is functional.