Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Rear Seat Delete Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Rear Seat Delete Advice.

Alright so I got the basics of deleting a seat down. I can handle my wood pretty good so I shouldn't have a problem with construction

Anywho what I'm doin may be a tad hard to explain without some visual aids but oh well.

Imagine a rear seat delete but in a 4 door 1989 Jaguar XJ40. now stick a folding seat smack in the middle where the armrest used to be. on each side of the seat is a 12" sub and above each sub is a undetermined size speaker (maybe two). each sub will be in an angled box so the will come out of from the back of the seat area.

now under the folding seat will be a cut out for my amp so when i have the seat folded up it looks all pretty and clean.

now.. what should I use for materials. carpet on some areas? leather? i dont know. I do know the folding seat is leather though.

Also the carpet or leather or whatever will be a black and white theme cause.. dont laugh.. but im putting racing stripes on my car

so anyways I know how I'm building it but I don't know what I'm using to cover it.

Also I'm putting some LED strips and stuff in various places.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

why bother with the folding seat?

Old 10-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

[quote=J4G-OFF;254400] I can handle my wood pretty good

Thus, your moniker..?

I couldn't resist even though I'm flirting with being banned

Old 10-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by mohrd
I couldn't resist even though I'm flirting with being banned

hahahaha. It's all in good fun. I wouldn't worry about the might ban hammer falling upon any of us today.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyJag
why bother with the folding seat?
True, true. may just be easier to have it in a permanent spot. I just need to think where to mount the amp now.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Make it bucket seats in the back and in the center section build a single 12 into the upper portion and the amp into the lower portion. Done and can still seat 4.

Last edited by ArmyJag; 10-11-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

What I know about car audio would fit on the back of a cig' packet.

But why not fit the amp in the trunk/boot? You can pass the cables up through the top corners of the bulkhead into the passenger compartment.

Up behind the fuel filler you will see rubber grommets that when removed will give you ready made access for cables which can be pushed through to come out behind the C pillar covers.

For a better idea about what I am on about, have a look at the pics attached to an old post of mine. (photobucket so you should be OK).

Changing Radio.

Although I guess that you want your setup to be visible.

(heh heh, the ban hammer is dozing in it's box) LOL

Last edited by Translator; 10-11-2010 at 03:58 AM. Reason: forgot link, doh
Old 10-11-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Translator
But why not fit the amp in the trunk/boot? You can pass the cables up through the top corners of the bulkhead into the passenger compartment.
Yeah I could easily do that but I want my amp to show and look all professional and such. I think I'll probably change a few things as I go though so who knows what will happen.

any suggestions for covering material though?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyJag
Make it bucket seats in the back and in the center section build a single 12 into the upper portion and the amp into the lower portion. Done and can still seat 4.

That was actually the first thing that popped through my mind! I like my new idea more though. Also my rear right door handle doesn't work from the outside and until I get it fixed (I'll be putting it off forever) then people really don't sit on that side anyways. And I don't like to have a bunch of people in my car so this will be a good excuse.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, I may be against the racing stripes, and an appallingly loud sound system, it should at least be done so that it looks tasteful. With that being said, to cover the area, and depending on the colour of the interior of your car, I'd recommend using carpet, or if you want something that looks more plush, velvet (I don't know whether I'm serious or not). I would say leather, but dealing with availability issues, you may only be able to find pleather.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 PM

yeah I'm really re-thinking the racing stripes hahaha.

But yeah I'm doing all of it so it looks good. I just don't know to do all carpet or leather. or a mix or both. hummm...

Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Honestly, it depends what you can find. I'd imagine it would be easier to go carpet. I suggest going to the fabric/upholstery store and seeing what you can get and if it's in your budget. It would be really neat to cover the whole thing in burl walnut veneer.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:24 PM

Yeah, I'm rethinking the racing stripes. It will either look good or really really bad and I don't wanna take that risk at the moment.

I'm trying to do my seat delete really tasteful and good though. I'm just trying to decide between carpet and leather or a mix of both.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

I think the biggest issue with removing the back seat would be the addition of the third back seat.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 PM

hahha I bet you're wondering why I posted like the same thing twice.

I didn't see a second page started and I thought my post didn't get made.

Anywho... Yeah I'll be thinking and rethinking all of this and redesigning and such till I get it right. I'll post pictures when I start construction and such.