Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

The smell of cigarettes

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default The smell of cigarettes

I have noticed that after cleaning the leather I get the smell of cigarettes. I assume the last owner must have smoked, but the ashtray and lighter are perfectly clean. Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to get rid of the smell? I would prefer to clean it away rather than mask it with smelly 'air fresheners'. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Delta66,

Is it only after cleaning the leather? If so, it might be the leather cleaner you are using. If not, you may want to replace the cabin filter and try some carpet cleaner and vacuum out your carpets. Also, clean your windows and non-leather windows. Weather permitting, open up your windows to air out your car.

Mike

Old 10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Delta, I would start by using an upholstery attachment to a carpet cleaner and doing up all the carpeting in your car. Next, pull out the back seat and wipe down the area under the seat and then remove the rear cover and spray it really good with some Frebreeze or other similar product. After that, spray the headliner with some Fre-breeze or similar product. Wipe down the door panels really good. Make sure to reinstall the rear seat/rear cover. Beyond that, I would say you need to remove the front seats and clean really well under them. hard to say where all the ashes could have ended up, leaving the smell behind. May even want to consider pulling the ashtray out and cleaning behind that.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Delta, in all likelihood, the previous owner did smoke, they possibly just replaced the ashtray and lighter with new ones. I've seen this done before!!
I am a smoker and do NOT ever use my ashtray as I hate the stale smell of smoke in my car....funny eh??

Sometimes the inside of the windscreen and rear window hold smoke on them and they may need a good clean. I always after washing n cleaning my car vacuum it out thoroughly... Here's a tip you may want to think about too.
I've bought some of these air freshners, you know the plug in ones with the oil, sumthin like tuscan musk or similar. After thoroughly vacuuming out the car I've taken a slightly damp towel / rag and soaked it in the perfumed oil and gave the carpets a real good going over. No stains to be found ( i've done this for a while now ) and even though I smoke in the car regularly I get a constant fresh smell...all my passengers compliment me on it especially as I'm a smoker. The perfume wafts around the car as the fresh air coming in seems to lift it and distribute it all round for freshness that last for up to 2 weeks.
As suggested I'd certainly look to replace your cabin filter as well

Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same problem make sure you change the leather cleaner also remeber to clean with a wet cloth the roof paneling. you will see how much dirt gets stuck in there. just make sure not to rub it to much or to make it wet to much becouse it might start creating bubles and might leave stains.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will tackle the headliner, the carpet, behind the ashtray, check the leather cleaner by cleaning something else to see if it leaves a smell and weather permitting (rarely) give it a good airing. The cigarette lighter turns out not to be a cigarette lighter but a plastic plug.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 AM

Mike and edo's jag, you were right, it was the smell of the leather cleaner. I cleaned a leather handbag and it smelled the same. A few hours outside and the smell had gone. It has also gone from inside the car. Thanks.