Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

ecu reprogram-xj sv8

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ecu reprogram-xj sv8

End of next week i am sending my ecu to be reprogrammed.
it is being done by singh motorsport.. I was told atleast 40-45 hp gain.
But with the upgrades I have done, it may very well be more. What hp gain has anyone had after ecu rechip... dyno results?

Old 09-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

I assume you have done a baseline dyno, and what where the results? Have no idea about your mods, and I hope singh has done a dyno tunes of similar mods to get yours at least in the right direction. On unmodifed cars/small mods you could get about 20 to 25 rwhp extra.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:59 AM

mods. cold-intake, changed sc pully, h.o. cat and cat-back exhaust changed. I have not done a dyno. after re-map I will dyno. Singh told me that he expect 40-45 rhp without any other mods. The stock hp on car was 400. I thought I should be at atleast 450 with current mods maybe higher.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Would recommend a before dyno, then at least you (and everyone else) what will work and what doesn't. Problem is you can only get rwhp figures, so a 4.2 car could get about 330 rwhp on certain dynos. Would guess you may have now about 25 rwhp more and maybe you get another 20 more with the ECU tune, maybe you could get 375 rwhp which equates to about 450 engine hp (17% drive train loss). All guesses of course. Better do the before dyno, otherwise you will be wondering afterwards why you might not have gotten what you expected.

PS Stock you already have a cold air intake, as far as I know Mina only sells hot air intake systems.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
Would recommend a before dyno, then at least you (and everyone else) what will work and what doesn't. Problem is you can only get rwhp figures, so a 4.2 car could get about 330 rwhp on certain dynos. Would guess you may have now about 25 rwhp more and maybe you get another 20 more with the ECU tune, maybe you could get 375 rwhp which equates to about 450 engine hp (17% drive train loss). All guesses of course. Better do the before dyno, otherwise you will be wondering afterwards why you might not have gotten what you expected.

PS Stock you already have a cold air intake, as far as I know Mina only sells hot air intake systems.
I have done some modifications on my 2004 XJ8 including Mina Intake, ECU reprograming, and exhaust. However, If you are running with the Mina Gallery Intake please be aware. I have had problems ever since I installed it. Even with the ECU adjustments it's the intake that was causing "restricted performance" and making my car sound like I have a vaccum leak. Also the codes from the engine says "system to lean." It's very annoying. I read some other reviews on the intake so i'm taking mine off and installing the original with a K&N filter. Hopefully, from what I hear, this should fix the problem.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:57 AM

after I put in the intake, pully and cat-back the engine check light would come on occasionally. eventially after a full tune up and putting on the high flow cats the problem stopped. I also replaced o2 sensors. thanks for the heads up.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't forget to check out the "Mafioso" intake tube.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:04 AM

if the performance restricted occurs or engine lights on again I will look at the intake conection. thanks...

Old 09-16-2011, 01:49 PM

just had the ecu removed.
took longer than planned. I am going on vac. will be back in a week and will have the reflash installed next weekend.. .. it being sent out for a bench reflash. I planned it this way because I did not want to be without my car for 3-4 days.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:53 PM

What does it mean when you get the ecu reflashed? Is it the same thing as someone reprogramming it?

Old 09-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JagManBonano
What does it mean when you get the ecu reflashed? Is it the same thing as someone reprogramming it?
Yes. "flashing" is the procedure of writing a new set of parameters onto a closed system.

The following users liked this post:
JagManBonano (09-22-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 12:33 PM

I'm getting my ECU reprogrammed tomorrow so hopefully that solves my problem since I converted back to the stock cold air intake with a K&N filter. If any other problem occurs, then I'll have to change my MAFS and get the original one instead of the remanufactured one I got from Auto Zone thats says "Toyota".

Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 AM

i am going to have my reflashed ecu re-installed today or tommorrow. after I will post how awesome it will be.. just got back for 1 week cruise in carribean on the oasis of the seas. back to the real world.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:38 PM

just took the sv8 for a drive with ninja from singh autosport. the car moves.. the idle took a while to readjust to new timing. ninja said it would take abouth 100 miles of driving for the full reset to occur. he said i should drive aggrevisely and the car with correct with my driving style. I cannot wait to get the car dynoed. I was unable to fully engage the throtle because we had just had a significant downpour and the roads where wet. next : new tires for more grip... the engine sound deeper and is definitely breathing more.. zoom.. zoom...

Old 09-27-2011, 07:33 PM

after 2 days of driving the reprogram seems to have really set in. the car feels like there is much more hp .. at higher speed it seems like I could just keep going. the power is much smoother and I am happy so far... when I hit the gas hard the traction control comes on often..

Old 09-28-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by rick1965
after 2 days of driving the reprogram seems to have really set in. the car feels like there is much more hp .. at higher speed it seems like I could just keep going. the power is much smoother and I am happy so far... when I hit the gas hard the traction control comes on often..
Wow, I'm glad to hear you are having fun with the upgrade! Does it have any hesitation because I'm having some hesitation problems in my car at accelerating speed and I think I need the ECU reprogrammed. I haven't changed it after I replaced the intake so I think thats what's causing the problem. I was also thinking of making a custom cold air intake by changing the position of the stock intake. I want to run the intake from the bottom to suck-up the air coming in from the lower grill. At the current stock position there isn't a direct or effecient flow of air because it's located in a small section that is nearly sealed off.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 PM

thanks for the prop. the powercurve is great. very smooth. no hesitation.. I put the mina intake in a while back. I would change the intake also. I agree the position could be better. mine is opens to the drivers side front of engine. before the ecu change I noticed uneven accel. I wonder if how evective the intercoller is? good luck..

Old 09-30-2011, 04:39 PM

going to have dyon'ed tommorow afternoon. I will post the results

Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 PM

went to do my dyno yesterday.
the shop said I had a vacuum leak and the car was running to rich.
I am going to get the leak fixed tommorrow and the take the car back for another dyno.
the peak results were decent even with the problem.
358 hp/380 tq at wheels. calculating with a 20% loss at wheel that gives an engine rated at 448 hp/475 tq. the shop stated there should be a much better pull with the vacuum leak fixed. sh*t happens..

post back after the next dyno..

Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by rick1965
went to do my dyno yesterday.
the shop said I had a vacuum leak and the car was running to rich.
I am going to get the leak fixed tommorrow and the take the car back for another dyno.
the peak results were decent even with the problem.
358 hp/380 tq at wheels. calculating with a 20% loss at wheel that gives an engine rated at 448 hp/475 tq. the shop stated there should be a much better pull with the vacuum leak fixed. sh*t happens..

post back after the next dyno..

Hi Rick,
Could you please let me know where you have the vacuum leak at and how much it cost you? I think I might have the same problem except my car is running too lean. It sounds like I have a vacuum leak, but some people said its normal and it could be the release valve (that looks like a pancake). Let me know what happens.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: ecu reprogram-xj sv8