Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

High Flow CATS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfwx
Has anyone installed high flow CAT converters on their Jaguar? For the later models does the ECU balk at those? Would there be significant difference between buying them from a company specifically selling Jag parts or generic high flow CATs at significant savings?
The OEM CATs seem the most restrictive aspect of the exhaust system. While CAT-back setups certainly could add 15 or maybe up to 20 horsepower (maybe a bit more with an ECU tuning after), the CATs would seem the greatest horsepower robber. (Obviously we can't just remove them for the master overseer ECU).

Thoughts on the topic? Anyone heard of anyone putting those on their Jaguar? Which year and model if so?
Hi
Sorry for coming into the thread so late on but only had some cat issues recently. For a couple of reasons (cost and availabilty of Jag cats) had sports cats fitted along with complete system inc x pipe and sports mufflers - Totally different car quicker response, better mid range etc just feels as if its breathing so much better and the sound . Best thing was £1000 for the whole deal Cats (stainless) were £420 a pair fitted. Im back in for a custom remap next week because as expected the EML is now on. Ill post some before and after numbers ifn your intersted If you are still after a pair of cats I could ask the guys for a price on supply only and would be more than happy to ship for you

Ian

Last edited by stypernut; 08-14-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 10-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default High Flow cats

Gentelmen..

Go check out NamelessPerformance.com

They created off my car a 200 cell high flow catalytic converter with TIG welded, T304 Stainless Steel Construction and mandrel bent factory fit pipes.

its worth every penny.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

We do make high flow cats for the early XKR and XJR as well as the 2007+ XKR.

WE ARE OFFERING A 30% DISCOUNT to anyone who provides us with factory parts for any other model so that we can build a fixture and add new parts to our catalog. Contact me via email for further details. jason.g@namelessperformance.com

We can do a same day turnaround if necessary.

Jason

Old 11-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Former Sponsor

A note, depending on design these run a retail price of roughly $750. And we can do 200 or 400 cell cats depending on intended application. All designs are fully mandrel bent and tig welded t304 stainless steel.

J

Old 11-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by stypernut
Hi
Sorry for coming into the thread so late on but only had some cat issues recently. For a couple of reasons (cost and availabilty of Jag cats) had sports cats fitted along with complete system inc x pipe and sports mufflers - Totally different car quicker response, better mid range etc just feels as if its breathing so much better and the sound . Best thing was £1000 for the whole deal Cats (stainless) were £420 a pair fitted. Im back in for a custom remap next week because as expected the EML is now on. Ill post some before and after numbers ifn your intersted If you are still after a pair of cats I could ask the guys for a price on supply only and would be more than happy to ship for you

Ian

Do you have any dyno numbers you can share, yet??

Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Nameless Cats on 07 XKR

Ok we are going to give it a try and see what happens.

I have an 07 XKR which is stock. After exchanging a few emails with Brutal, I've decided to add the Nameless 200 cell cats to my car and see what happens. Jason at Nameless called me right up after I sent an email to him and said he can have a set out to me in short order.

Plan is to do before and after Dyno runs. If I can find a suitable video recording device, I will do before and after sound comparisons. I wonder if I can use my iPhone 4 for this?

I will likely start a standalone thread on this when the project is underway.

Joe
Houston

Old 02-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

sounds like a good plan,befor and after,

also be interesting to see what RWHP is on the car!

Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink just got back after mods

Just got back my super v8 2006 on friday.
mods . intake/s/c pully /and cat back exhaust.
The car sound and reponds better. It is breathing.
Quicker and more responsive. Purchased from mina gallery.
Mina state greater than 50 hp increase. Which give more than 450.
My installer stated he would like to have seen me change the pre-cat
mufflers and/or a high output cat.
I am happy with the changes the car roars more now.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone installed high flow CAT converters on their Jaguar? For the later models does the ECU balk at those? Would there be significant difference between buying them from a company specifically selling Jag parts or generic high flow CATs at significant savings?
The OEM CATs seem the most restrictive aspect of the exhaust system. While CAT-back setups certainly could add 15 or maybe up to 20 horsepower (maybe a bit more with an ECU tuning after), the CATs would seem the greatest horsepower robber. (Obviously we can't just remove them for the master overseer ECU).

Thoughts on the topic? Anyone heard of anyone putting those on their Jaguar? Which year and model if so?
Be a little careful on the new "Hi Flow" cats. Remember our XJS's were built in the days of Platinum/Paladium cats which are fairly resistant to ZDDP. Now, to reduce costs, the cats are a complex mixture of materials that are sensitive to ZDDP that our V12 engines need to stay alive. The new oils have much less ZDDP which will keep the cats working for clean air, but kill the V12 engines quicker.

XJSPaul

Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by XJSPaul
Be a little careful on the new "Hi Flow" cats. Remember our XJS's were built in the days of Platinum/Paladium cats which are fairly resistant to ZDDP. Now, to reduce costs, the cats are a complex mixture of materials that are sensitive to ZDDP that our V12 engines need to stay alive. The new oils have much less ZDDP which will keep the cats working for clean air, but kill the V12 engines quicker.

XJSPaul
We have over 40 sets of high flow cats on 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation XKR's and XJR's and have not had any issues with them causing any check engine lights or having lingevity issues. The ZDDP issue is a non unique criticism of high flow vs factory catalysts. Ours have multiple heavy metals in them and afaik there are only 1 or 2 oils on the market with ANY ZDDP in them. If you're spiking the oil with GM EOS assy lube, you can also run our catless track pipes which can be made to avoid codes as well.

As for HP, we have seen dyne results from 11-20hp at the wheels depending on prior modifications. These cars LOVE spun metallic 200 cell cats.

Would love to discuss more. Our products are all fixture built off of factory layout and have full factory fit, 100% Handbuilt in the USA. TIG welded T304 throughout with all factory bracket provisions and high performance annealed .090 thick copper gaskets.

I'm building a run if 1st Gen and 3rd Gen next week if anyone is interested, drop me an email or phone call. Jason.g@namelessperformance.com 360.607.9402 and we will gladly add to our current production run.

Jason

Old 06-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh, my ZDDP in oil commentary is potentially only relevant to US market oils.

And Int'l shipping is ~$55-125 depending on location. Shipping to Tibet may be more than to British Columbia. :-D

Old 06-05-2011, 10:54 AM

i have been told by many that from the cats back you can do anything you want on exhausts and not lose your warranty. if you go cats forward youre in deep dodo and no more factory warranty. the best and highest quality jag exhausts i have ever seen are at mina gallery in los angeles. everything i have bought from them has been perfect plus they are good folks to deal with.

rock on
bud

Old 06-05-2011, 06:37 PM

I just spent 825 us getting magnaflow cats where the resonator box sits my on my s type bypassing the funny downtube spot with straightpipe wiredont extensions to my 0 2 sensors.works fine so far.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 PM

Planning mina axle back and a ken bell 2.1l supercharger.ill be dyno testing between steps. Soon ill post numbers for magnaflow cats with stock mufflers. Im curious. It feels alot more responsive.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:04 PM

just changed my cats for high-flo. the car has a deeper exhaust sound a breaths better. I was thinking of changing the cats but I had too. does anyone know the hp gain from stock to a high performance pair.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:05 PM

my guy charged my 1500 for the both left and right cats.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Know this is comparing apples to oranges, but when I replaced my stock manifolds and cats on my 93 vette, with headers and hi-flow cats, I gained exactly 13hp and 11 tq. The catback was stock and when I removed the stock cat back and replace with a Borla, I gained 2hp and -1 tq.

What i am trying to say is that stock systems have come a LONG way from the retrictive systems in the 70's and 80's.

BTW: replacing the headers befor and after was dynoed on 2 different days and the Borla test was done on the same day, within an 1 hr 1/2 of each other.

All tests were done on the same dyno.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by princemarko
No, I dont want to fill the water/alcohol system. So i'm going to go for the intercooler since i have a upgrade upper supercharger pulley here. I was considering porting and rebuilding the supercharger but i'm getting conflicting views on what kind of hp it would gain if at all.

Also, I am going to get the Magnaflow x-pipe(Magnaflow Tru-X Pipes) and a pair of Magnaflow rear
mufflers while I delete the middle mufflers. $4-500 and i'm done, get some nice sound and probably some increased HP.

All said and done, I want to be right around 450 hp. With an ECU, pulleys,intercooler, K&N drop in filter, and exhaust i should be close to that figure.

Which diameter x-pipe for the XJR? I have a 2002