Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Image Max Res (image tags method)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 04:47 AM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Image Max Res (image tags method)

I've been searching through the FAQ and sticky threads, but I can't seem to find an answer... Maybe I'm blind!

Anyway, what is the maximun resolution for images inserted via the link with image tags method? (ie. images in the message body as below)

Image Max Res (image tags method)-gktbj.jpg

I know recently I've had some of my 2MP images reduced my moderators... Sorry about that - I get confused between the different forums I use, each one seems to have different limits.

Yeah, so it'd be great if someone could clear that up for me...

Last edited by Oubadah; 10-29-2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

If the images are directly uploaded to the forum from your computer, then the max resolution/size is displayed in the menu.

If as in here, the image is not on the Jaguar Forums server, but is on another website, then only the link is uploaded so as I understand it there is no real limit.

Hotlinking as in the post above is generally frowned upon but everyone does it.

It can slow down the page load time in your browser, because it is having to process information from different places at the same time. Most of the time this will be unnoticeable to the individual user.

Effectively stealing someone else's bandwidth. It is then up to the owners/administrators of that particular website to prevent this practice. Either by changing access permissions on their servers or simply renaming the images from time to time and thus killing the links.

At least that is how I understand it. Others will no doubt elaborate.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:48 AM

I try to be considerate when it comes to hotlinking. I almost always save and re-upload the picture to a site like imgur (that's sole purpose is to host images), as I have done with the above pic.

Originally Posted by Translator
If as in here, the image is not on the Jaguar Forums server, but is on another website, then only the link is uploaded so as I understand it there is no real limit.
Clearly some moderator thinks there is, as I've had certain posts edited with "Reason: Images exceed forum size"That's fine by me - I can understand that just because 1600x1200 is dwarfed on my monitor, it might appear awkwardly large for people running smaller screen resolutions.

Last edited by Oubadah; 10-29-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Exactly. Sort of like hotlinking with permission. I use Photobucket others have their own preferences.

Hmm, I'll have a further think.

Last edited by Translator; 10-29-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:17 AM

Here is an idea:

I've noticed that vBulletin has the provision for 'Screenshot Tags'. These work as substitute for the usual [IMG] tags, however they downsize the image automatically to prevent screen clutter. (Obviously this doesn't help with large image files causing slow loading of the page, but with multi-megapixel jpegs being sub-500kb, it's usually a non-issue)

Here is a screenshot of the setting on another vBulletin forum:

and it's typical result:

That image was 1600x1200, but see how it has been reduced - clicking on it would make it show full size,

Perhaps you could enable these screenshot tags?

I've also noticed on many forums using vBulletin, that 'screenshot tags' are set to automatically apply to any images linked using image tags (ie. even whan the user has not opplied them manually), so that's another possibility.

Last edited by Oubadah; 10-29-2010 at 06:21 AM.