Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

My pet peeve...............(sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts
Default My pet peeve...............

Pet peeve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll start.

Please please can someone tell me why on most threads people find it necessary to always "quote" the complete posting from just above their posting.

I find this a complete and utter waste of paper..Er...Sorry, screen.

Sorry , l just had to put that out there.

i'll get me coat

Last edited by malc4d; 09-19-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:44 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default No Kidding

Originally Posted by malc4d

I'll start.

Please please can someone tell me why on most threads people find it necessary to always "quote" the complete posting from just above their posting.

i'll get me coat

The following users liked this post:
Davidsw (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 02:52 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts
Default no idea

I'll start.

i'll get me coat

no idea

Last edited by rgp; 09-19-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:17 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree especially when there are loads of photos !!

Old 09-19-2014, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

I'll start.

i'll get me coat
I never do that, I don't even know how!

Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

It's useful to selectively quote for context. Or to make it clear which post you are replying to. But quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-time. Lazy, I guess.

You're right, you're right!

i'll get me coat

No need to apologize. We all have pet peeves, I reckon. One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphs.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
[...]

We all have pet peeves, I reckon. One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphs.

Cheers
DD
+1 in Spades!
Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company, and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!

There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it, probably losing my place in the maze of words in search of the tidbit the poster was pointing out to us.
(';')

Old 09-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

I don't think I don't use paragraphs or maybe I do or maybe I don't make complete sentences but i think I do when I have a point to make or maybe I just ramble on from time to time when I feel like I don't know maybe there is some truth to that but then again I may be wrong but if it were the other way then maybe I could see not using paragraphs or rambling sentences because this isn't English lit or maybe it is now that I think of it....what do you think? Shoot, I forgot to quote!!!!

Old 09-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I'll start.
i'll get me coat

Lol, ok so this can be particularly useful as stated when replying to a certain member within a thread to show you're replying to their comments
Simple....no need to get your coat..lol

I usually add my comments in bold so they show a little more clearly for others to read.

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I never do that, I don't even know how!
JT - Very easy and also very useful buddy.
click on the "quote" button and you can reply to that quote you've included in your post.
To multi quote - simply click on the button next to it "multi quote this message" and repeat for all that you would like to quote, clicking quote on the final one.....job done!

Originally Posted by Doug
It's useful to selectively quote for context. Or to make it clear which post you are replying to. But quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-time. Lazy, I guess.

No need to apologize. We all have pet peeves, I reckon. One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphs.
Cheers DD
Doug - totally agree, it is a bug bear of mine too, breaking up the text makes it so much easier for all to read!
The forum does rely on the written word after all....

Originally Posted by LnrB
+1 in Spades!
Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company, and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!
There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it, probably losing my place in the maze of words in search of the tidbit the poster was pointing out to us.
(';')
LnrB - Now that is the biggest pain of all I'm afraid.....lonnnnnng unbroken lines of text are almost unreadable, people just generally switch off as you say.
No one wins in this scenario, it is just laziness imo and extremely frustrating

See example below to illustrate......

I'll start Please please can someone tell me why on most threads people find it necessary to always "quote" the complete posting from just above their postinI find this a complete and utter waste of paper..Er...Sorry, screen.Sorry l just had to put that out there. i'll get me coatIt's useful to selectively quote for contextOr to make it clear which post you are replying toBut quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-timeLazy I guess No need to apologizeWe all have pet peeves, I reckon One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphsCheers DD+1 in Spades!Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it, probably losing my place in the maze of words in search of the tidbit the poster was pointing out to us.I find this a complete and utter waste of paper..Er...Sorry, screen.Sorry , l just had to put that out there. i'll get me coatIt's useful to selectively quote for context. Or to make it clear which post you are replying to. But quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-time. Lazy, I guess+1 in Spades!Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company, and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it, probably losing my place in the maze of words in search of the tidbit the poster was pointing out to usLol, ok so this can be particularly useful as stated when replying to a certain member within a thread to show you're replying to their comments Simple....no need to get your coat..lolDoug - totally agree, it is a bug bear of mine too, breaking up the text makes it so much easier for all to read!The forum does rely on the written word after all....I usually add my comments in bold so they show a little more clearly for others to read.LnrB - Now that is the biggest pain of all I'm afraid.....lonnnnnng unbroken lines of text are almost unreadable, people just generally switch off as you say.No one wins in this scenario, it is just laziness imo and extremely frustratingSee example below to illustrate......Sorry l just had to put that out there. i'll get me coatIt's useful to selectively quote for contextOr to make it clear which post you are replying toBut quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-timeLazy I guess No need to apologizeWe all have pet peeves, I reckon One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphsCheers DD+1 in Spades!Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it

Basically, I've replied to the thread in general, but also, to 4 individual posters comments too, all in one post

Hope it helps

Best
Jim

The following 3 users liked this post by JimC64:
Bc xj (09-19-2014), Doug (09-19-2014), LnrB (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

Hmmmm, what's a paragraph ????

Old 09-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I hate people who use more than one ? at the end of a question.
How many times can you not understand the same thing?
I mean, how many times??
Really???
You honestly don't get it????
Oh, now I see.
Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

orangeblossom (09-20-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
I hate people who use more than one ? at the end of a question.
How many times can you not understand the same thing?
I mean, how many times??
Really???
You honestly don't get it????
[...]
Steve, as you have just demonstrated, multiple ?s signifies astonishment.

There is no way through written words to communicate this emotion other than many !s or ?s. If you have a better way I would love to know.
(';')

Old 09-20-2014, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I know, I know, I was just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Thread moved to forum help & suggestion centre, its not model specific.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
Thread moved to forum help & suggestion centre, its not model specific.
THAT'S why I couldn't find it this morning!!! hahaha
(';')

Old 09-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

LnrB - why don't you click on the black nav bar and then on "quick links"
A drop box opens and simply click on "todays posts"

All current / live / hot threads will appear for you.

Or....

In the same black nav bar, click on "my posts" where you can look for your posts from today, yesterday, 2 days ago, 3 days ago etc etc

You may or may not do this, I'm not sure?

Just a thought

LnrB (09-23-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Is there not a way to take a pacific part of a quote that is important to the person posting a reply without the whole context.

MY PET P. IS NOT HAVING THE TYPE AND YEAR OF CAR IN THEIR PROFILE , I THINK THAT SHOULD BE MANDATORY

The following 2 users liked this post by sherbercars:
Davidsw (09-22-2014), JimC64 (09-20-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 01:35 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by sherbercars
Is there not a way to take a pacific part of a quote ..........

.......... that is important to the person posting a reply ..........

.......... without the whole context.
You can edit a QUOTE in exactly the same was as you edit any other piece of text in a post. Just be careful to leave the QUOTE start and QUOTE end markers in brackets.

Graham

sherbercars (09-20-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by bhamilton
Originally Posted by rgp
no idea
Originally Posted by JimC64

Lol, ok so this can be particularly useful as stated when replying to a certain member within a thread to show you're replying to their comments
Simple....no need to get your coat..lol

I usually add my comments in bold so they show a little more clearly for others to read.

JT - Very easy and also very useful buddy.
click on the "quote" button and you can reply to that quote you've included in your post.
To multi quote - simply click on the button next to it "multi quote this message" and repeat for all that you would like to quote, clicking quote on the final one.....job done!

Doug - totally agree, it is a bug bear of mine too, breaking up the text makes it so much easier for all to read!
The forum does rely on the written word after all....

LnrB - Now that is the biggest pain of all I'm afraid.....lonnnnnng unbroken lines of text are almost unreadable, people just generally switch off as you say.
No one wins in this scenario, it is just laziness imo and extremely frustrating

See example below to illustrate......

I'll start Please please can someone tell me why on most threads people find it necessary to always "quote" the complete posting from just above their postinI find this a complete and utter waste of paper..Er...Sorry, screen.Sorry l just had to put that out there. i'll get me coatIt's useful to selectively quote for contextOr to make it clear which post you are replying toBut quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-timeLazy I guess No need to apologizeWe all have pet peeves, I reckon One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphsCheers DD+1 in Spades!Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it, probably losing my place in the maze of words in search of the tidbit the poster was pointing out to us.I find this a complete and utter waste of paper..Er...Sorry, screen.Sorry , l just had to put that out there. i'll get me coatIt's useful to selectively quote for context. Or to make it clear which post you are replying to. But quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-time. Lazy, I guess+1 in Spades!Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company, and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it, probably losing my place in the maze of words in search of the tidbit the poster was pointing out to usLol, ok so this can be particularly useful as stated when replying to a certain member within a thread to show you're replying to their comments Simple....no need to get your coat..lolDoug - totally agree, it is a bug bear of mine too, breaking up the text makes it so much easier for all to read!The forum does rely on the written word after all....I usually add my comments in bold so they show a little more clearly for others to read.LnrB - Now that is the biggest pain of all I'm afraid.....lonnnnnng unbroken lines of text are almost unreadable, people just generally switch off as you say.No one wins in this scenario, it is just laziness imo and extremely frustratingSee example below to illustrate......Sorry l just had to put that out there. i'll get me coatIt's useful to selectively quote for contextOr to make it clear which post you are replying toBut quoting the entire post in one giant clump isn't needed. That said, I'm sure Im guilty of doing so from time-to-timeLazy I guess No need to apologizeWe all have pet peeves, I reckon One of mine is posters who refuse to use actual paragraphsCheers DD+1 in Spades!Someone posted a link recently (I'm not sure if it was in here or the Xj6 section) to a commercial technical help section of some well respected company and it was ALL ONE HUGE BLOCK OF TYPE!There was doubtless some very good info buried in there but I didn't have the desire nor the time to wade through it

Basically, I've replied to the thread in general, but also, to 4 individual posters comments too, all in one post

Hope it helps

Best
Jim
Originally Posted by GGG
You can edit a QUOTE in exactly the same was as you edit any other piece of text in a post. Just be careful to leave the QUOTE start and QUOTE end markers in brackets.

Graham
It's one of my pet peeves also!

Quotes can be useful and also extremely annoying.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:01 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Graham

Quick Reply: My pet peeve...............(sorry)