Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Posting location on your profile

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Posting location on your profile

Open question:

Is there a good reason to avoid posting your location in your profile? I can't figure out why that is a bad thing, but I can see several reasons where it might help...

If another poster sees you're in his general area, it might get you some hands-on assistance, or a local referral for parts or service. Maybe news of a local car event, or even the chance to make a new friend.

Last week I saw a post from a new guy who lives in the very small town where I was raised, and I'll be sure to look him up next time I'm back there just to say "Hi".

There are probably other professionals like me who read alot of posts, and it might help both of you make a beneficial introduction if you know each others' location. I know it would prevent me from sending a message to a guy who needs a transmission or a set of wheels or whatever, if I know he lives overseas.

Location also has some influence on questions about your particular vehicle: model year differences, left/ right hand drive, climatic conditions etc. can all be deduced from location even if specific information is not stated in the message. Just a suggestion, that's all.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Jagtech Ohio,

Probably no good reason except us newbies just want to jump in and (perhaps-trying to remember) the screen presented does not request the information.

For those who want to take the hint. Go to "user CP" at the top of this page. Here is where you can add pics to signature and other stuff to give others an idea who the heck you are and how they can help best.

Thanks for the nudge to look for location to update info.

Regards.
Steven (1avguy)

Old 08-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Brittany calling, JTO, I'm with you on this one. Not only is it potentially useful, it is also interesting to see where people are.

Pity about the wheels I had started a savings fund when I saw those two sets you had earlier in the year;-)

More seriously, don't be too hasty in not quoting for larger items. With the Euro/USD exchange rates at the moment even when including shipping costs there are still some good deals to be made.

All the best from BRITTANY

Old 08-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

JagTech, I am with you on atleast posting the state/province/country that you are in. This helps in a lot of cases. But, at the same time, there are some people that are fearful and feel that people are out to get their cars. So, the less information that they can put out about them and their vehicle the "safer" they feel. Little do they know that by simply logging on to the computer, they are leaving enough information behind I can knock on their doorstep though computer addresses used to send the information back to people. So, what are you really going to hurt?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are pros and cons, depending on your perspective. JTO, you rightly pointed out several advantages - both effeciency in providing help, info, source materials, locate in person services, etc., as well as just building a friendlier community. On the other hand, not everyone comes here for harmless reasons. A few details and a few bucks and you can locate anyone, anwhere. I keep my info to a minimum for that reason and share it only when I'm comfortable doing so. I suppose state and or country probably are not going to be too much problem, but even then, I can cross-reference that with about ten other sites and fill in the gaps. I don't expect danger to come calling, but I don't give him directions either, especially to the place my family lives and sleeps. I think personal preference probably wins in this instance, and if people need the help or benefits, they can use other tools in the forum to obtain their needs. Maybe still a pain in the ****, but thats the way it is and paranoia likely prevents any change.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks Tex,

Just knowing what state or region (or country) people are in is all I was suggesting.

The XJR engine I found for a good price is in NJ, but the Carfax shows it to be a high miler. Tracked the guy down this morning. PM me if you want more details.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I've always been a fan of profile information. It makes more sense when someone has broken english... are they just lazy on the keyboard, do they use slang for daily conversation (don't get me started), or perhaps from another country and english is new to them?

Heck, remember when we were all listed in the phone book white pages? I still am. Most of you, I presume refuse to be listed. Everyone wants privacy, and I respect that, but the forums seem more 'family-based' when you can point your finger and say "Oh yah, Jagtechohio is up there where winter tires are a requirement", and similar such comments. Jim's a Scott living in the UK. I think of him over there, administrating during the hours that most of us are snoring, but it makes sense just seeing one's location.

I'm not paranoid, i'll be tracked down one way or another if someone wants to find me. Guess i'm living my life with blinders on I suppose.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member

No "blinders" US / "blinkers" UK there. Any kid can use Google or some such.

My comment about "useful" was made from the point of people's use of English. If we can see that someone may only have English as a second language, we will naturally be more tolerant when responding to a fairly incomprehensible post, and probably try to target our reply to that person's level. This helps everyone.

As for slang, duff tiping etc, you wood not beleive sum of the stuf i see in final documents supposedly ready for publication or translation.

Didn't know you snored, I must add that to your database along with the preference for Cannon. Nice photography by the way;-)

Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 AM

Not too difficult to tell where I am located, and I agree, that information is or can be extremely useful. I'm still paranoid, though. That used to not be the case, but I think my wife's paranoia has worn off on me a bit. Plus, my job title is one step below Dentist on the popularity scale, so I try not to give anyone a roadmap. As it stands now, if someone finds me, I know the trouble they went through to do it, which means I must have done something really bad. Helps me decide whether to come out guns blazing or beg for mercy and forgiveness, since it is doubtful they are coming for my 7 cylinder car.

Maybe a better informational tag would be for mechanical ability/understanding/knowledge. For instance, under "Join Date" and "Location" would be "Competence" where the member can indicate their ability to read and understand the mechanical discussions or to apply that knowledge to real world repairs. Mine would read "Competence: Stupid, Worthless, Ugly, Poor"; JTO's would read "Competence: More than yours, whoever you are." Etc. Etc.

As for language abilities, how about we just let everyone post in their native language and Translator can just translate? I'll translate from English to English, a la Kelly Bundy when the Bundy's went to England.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Veteran member

^ dude, I almost spit out my PB&J while reading. I do like the idea of having mechanical aptitude as a profile title. Mine would read, Basic - light bulbs, screws and lugnuts

on a side note, sorry to hear about your bad cylinder

Old 09-01-2009, 11:45 AM

Matt, please don't choke. I am on thin ice in this forum as it is and I don't wish to also be complicit in the injury of a moderator. And thanks for the sympathies. It used to run like a Mike Leach/Graham Harrell offense; now, its just a Mike Leach defense - one cylinder always seems to be misfiring.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

clever, you not only managed to create a football metephor for your car, but a jab at the ol' alma mater. Can't tell if you're a UT or A&M supporter, but whatever foul piece of athletic equipment you are, I'll be watching you closely.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Hope its an easy fix TX.

Competence, Not quite hopeless.

This one is for you; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=960UYL3Vue8

All the best,

Old 09-01-2009, 12:58 PM

Wrong Matt, I was taking jabs at our alma mater. I'm also a Red Raider, Class of '96 & Class of '05. My paranoid wife is the evil longhorn.

Yes, it is an easy fix, I just have not decided where to place the dynamite. That video cheers me up though, so thanks!

Old 09-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

Well then, I rescind my athletic supporter rebuttal. Guns up!