Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Tell your story - give feedback...

Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tell your story - give feedback...

Probably most people come to this forum seeking free mechanic's advice (that is worth hundreds to thousands of dollars saved) and then just move on.

I tend to be bloggish, but to make a forum work it has to be interesting AND there has to be SOME reward to those willing to give their expertise to helping us keep our Jags going without maintenance costs and time in the shop making it too much a drag.

It also takes non-mechanics telling their repair experiences (good, bad and ugly) for a forum like this to work - meaning reasons to stick around.

The forum seems to be for "Jaguar people" so tell your story, give feedback. Details are nice because in those details are valuable tips you might not even realize you're giving.

Thanks to those of you tell tech stuff about your Jags.
That is EXTREMELY helpful to me. The nearest Jag-stop is at least 2 hours away - meaning my Jag gone for days if ANY need be done - plus unlike Chevys - the information for both servicing/repairs and FAR MORE SO for any mods is severely limited. But with only a few thousand imported a year, we're not exactly on the top of anyone's list for making custom components beyond some cosmetics and typicals like exhaust systems.

It wouldn't take to many nuisance trips to the shop or too impossible to have mods before I'd let the Jag go. I went through that with 928s and finally dumped them all (5). I like my "new" 05 XKR alot, but I also want to improve it. If I can't "make it mine" in some mods I'll lose interest in it.

Again, thanx to you tech guys. You are a life line for some of us more than we express. Seriously, guys, thanks a lot.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Talk to avos about building yours to a 600 rear wheel hp beast, with a whipple super charger, the smallest whipple is a 2.3litre and the eaton is only a 1.8 litre on the r. The whipple is a true compressor, the eaton is not. The whipple uses alot less hp to drive and exit temps are much cooler, and pound for pound of boost equals more hp from the whipple. He's made an offer about making part to do this if enough interest. A whipple 2.3 is $2800 us.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:28 PM

Who is Avos? I communicated Paramount and they informed me that for $7000 they'd build a twin screw setup including the blower - allow about 2 months. They seem to be waiting for someone to actually PAY for a system, rather than building it hoping then all the wishers are also buyers.

I figure to that I'd have to add the larger intercooler and intercooler pump. Obviously an exhaust upgrading & performance cats (better yet just sanz the cats). Paramount offers headers but ouch on the price. (ie Jaguar prices LOL). A water/alcohol injection system also might allow pumping the boost up a bit, plus with the lower heat of the twin screw it could go up a tad anyway.

Too bad it wouldn't cost a zillion dollars to low the compression on the 4.2 some to make more suitable for serious boosting and ceramic top the pistons and head chambers to handle heat better - but I am confident that getting into the motor itself would push the envelope on $$ along with everything else...

Probably top of the list is a Quale differential with 3.73 gears.

"Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

VERY

How do I contact Avos? Is that a forum ID?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:32 PM

Actually, if near equally done, who'd most go for the twin screw setup are XK8 owners who wish they had an XKR. On the used market when you get down a few years the XKRs are about double the price of an XK8. So, for less than an XKR, a person could buy a twin screw setup. Adding all the other stuff then needed, their XK8 would cost what an XKR costs - but their XK8 having a hundred more horsepower than the XRR...

Just a thought. If anyone makes a twin screw setup for the XKR, it might be worth while to explore making it work on the XK8 also. New or used, that way a person could have an XK8 that put out significantly more horsepower than an OEM XKR and probably for less money too.

(mine- 05 XKR)