Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Who would be in Favour of Re-Branding this Forum as a Car Club?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Who would be in Favour of Re-Branding this Forum as a Car Club?

Members of Car Clubs can often obtain some sort of a discount on a wide variety of Spare Parts as well as other Car Related Items.

And know from my own experience, that recommending a product may lead to other Forum Members wanting to purchase these products for themselves.

As I have also acted upon the recommendations of others, when purchasing various products to use in connection with my Car.

If the Forum was called a 'Car Club' then the sheer number of Members, could help individuals in obtaining discounts that they may not have otherwise been able to negotiate for themselves.

Although I don't know anything about how these things work, for all I know there may not be any requirement to have a Committee, or charge any sort of Membership Fee,

As may be the case with some other Clubs.

Would it therefore be possible, or even desirable to make a small adjustment to the Forum 'Name' and Re-Brand the Forum, as a Car Club, as for the sake of example.

'The Jaguar Forum Car Club'

Or even have it recognised as an affiliation, that could be used by Forum Members to obtain a discount on Spares as well as other Car related items.

The following users liked this post:
ptjs1 (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

In my (rather limited) experience, there is a difference between those commercial enterprises who give discounts /benefits if you are a paying member of a formal organisation, and those who will provide discount codes to a broader audience which can include registered members of an internet forum.

I fear it would be rather difficult to convert this internet forum into a formal club. It would necessitate a constitution, a paid membership structure and most importantly a dedicated set of people who would be prepared to run it on a democratically elected basis. (Just my opinion!)

However, there is certainly opportunity for the "organisers / administrators" of this internet forum to negotiate discount codes from a variety of suppliers. Such suppliers may just provide a code or may require that it is published in an area of the forum visible only if members are logged on. The principle of discount codes for internet forums is fairly well-established. With the ready availability of worldwide shopping the benefits could extend across the geographical boundaries that we experience on this particular forum.

Paul

orangeblossom (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

In my (rather limited) experience, there is a difference between those commercial enterprises who give discounts /benefits if you are a paying member of a formal organisation, and those who will provide discount codes to a broader audience which can include registered members of an internet forum.

I fear it would be rather difficult to convert this internet forum into a formal club. It would necessitate a constitution, a paid membership structure and most importantly a dedicated set of people who would be prepared to run it on a democratically elected basis. (Just my opinion!)

However, there is certainly opportunity for the "organisers / administrators" of this internet forum to negotiate discount codes from a variety of suppliers. Such suppliers may just provide a code or may require that it is published in an area of the forum visible only if members are logged on. The principle of discount codes for internet forums is fairly well-established. With the ready availability of worldwide shopping the benefits could extend across the geographical boundaries that we experience on this particular forum.

Paul
Hi Paul

I agree and if any potential supplier, could imagine the huge demand for something like supplying Oil, not only for XJS's but all the Jaguar variants, then I for one could imagine some very substantial discounts being offered.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

I can see all sorts of problems with this idea, it is a world wide forum and as such has the added problem of what the legal definition of "car club" is in different countries!

But generally a "club" is an organisation that has a committee that is elected by members, annual subscription fees, monthly committee meetings etc....

With charging a membership fee, it would open up a can of worms with VAT, and general tax implications from around the world.

Seems a bit of an ill thought out plan from somebody who "car clubs are not for me" and does not want to pay to belong to one of the many Jaguar clubs, but has to, to get his car insured as a classic!

ronbros (04-16-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Would seem simpler just to join a club. There are usually many kinds and a bit of sniffing around will locate a one that suits you.

I have joined a local club to gain the benefits of club registration and insurance. Turns out they are a great bunch of people and we normally do about 4 times the required number of events needed to retain membership, just because its fun. I have never considered joining the Jag club as I dont think it would be a good fit for me.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:26 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

The simple answer to the question is the only opinion that matters is that of forum owner Internet Brands who have a successful track record running many automotive forums with a proven business model. Some are named 'Club' for example 'Club Lexus' but that makes no difference to the fact all are web based forums rather than 'clubs' with a geographical location.

We are an international forum with a large number of active member spread far and wide across the US, Europe and Australia. There is also significant membership growth in Africa and Asia.

As such the only group discounts relevant to all members would be from the multinational manufacturers. Although Jaguar maintain a presence on the forum and we have previously offered prizes through the JLR advertising agency, there hasn't been any offer of discount as a benefit of forum membership.

In contrast, several of our forum Sponsors and Vendors in the aftermarket parts sector do offer discounts (usually 10%) on parts if members mention the forum when placing orders.

Additionally both forum Admin JimC64 and UK Regional Co-ordinator SteveSheldon have organised many trade discounts as a direct benefit of attendance at forum meetings.

For a 'forum' and not a 'club' we're doing a lot better than most by way of discounts and prizes.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
andrew lowe (04-15-2016), o1xjr (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

As Graham has taken pains to explain, this forum is owned by Internet Brands along with many others, with a very successful track record in doing so.
To put it simply the idea I'm afraid is not up for discussion, it is a internet based forum and will remain so. Also bear in mind that it is totally FREE to join and become a member, with all tech services / advice / pictorial and video how to threads for all models

We have vendors that mostly all offer some sort of discount already to forum members.
We have from time to time ran FREE prize giveaways, unlikely to be available in club format.

The forum meeting I am putting together for example will have approx. £2500 worth of FREE prizes to be won for those that attend. These will include cash prizes, £300 transmission service voucher, a free set of winter tyres, a free service and 4 wheel alignment, 50% off wheel refurbishment and much much more.
Steve has also put great time and effort into his meet with similar results.

There are many clubs available from JEC / JOC / and others locally if that is what you're looking for. They will charge a monthly or annual fee and may provide a magazine and or hold meet events, with the possibility of discounts, although not guaranteed.

Hope it helps
Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
Grant Francis (04-18-2016), o1xjr (04-19-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Is there a sticky somewhere that explains the structure of JF? Who owns what? Who has control? The role and connection of mods and co-ords? Who can make changes and to what extent. I doubt many except a few long termers/insiders really understand the set up.

The user group is a big conveyor belt of people who have a mixed experience and background knowledge of Internet Forums and blogs. I participate in about half a dozen and they range from tightly held personal blogs, club forums and media/commercial and ones transitioning along that line.

Thought it might save having to explain it repeatedly over time.

GGG (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 03:42 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

The forum is owned by Internet Brands. You can find out more about IB here:

Internet Brands, Inc. ? About us

jaguar forums is one of a number of similar forums in their Automotive Group:

Sites - Internet Brands Automotive Group

Terms of use are typical for internet forums. The full terms are here:

Terms of Use

Perhaps an unnecessary inclusion as everyone will naturally have read these before registering!

Although IB have staff who do input to forums and threads, the majority of users will generally more aware of, and come into contact with, the forum Administrator, Moderators and Regional Coordinators who are not employed by IB but perform the roles voluntarily.

The Administrator has overall control of everything that happens on the forum:
1. oversee how the forum is styled
2. what subforums to create and how to organise them
3. what information to require from members
4. who to appoint as Moderators and Regional Coordinators

Moderators oversee specific (usually model technical) forums. They can edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other actions. Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is by invitation and usually offered to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.

Both Admin and Moderators can impose restrictions on members for infractions. In extreme cases this can include imposing a temporary or permanent ban.

Regional Co-Ordinators oversee their specific Region forum. They have local knowledge are the crucial link between forum posting and organising face to face meetings.

These three roles are very time consuming and we have a number of Veteran members who have performed them in the past but have stood down for a variety of reasons. You can read more about the history of jaguar forums here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post1075508

Graham

The following 5 users liked this post by GGG:
JimC64 (04-21-2016), LnrB (04-22-2016), o1xjr (04-22-2016), wa3ra (04-22-2016), yarpos (04-21-2016)