Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

why i do not answer long threads

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts
Thumbs down why i do not answer long threads

The reason I do not answer long threads is that the forum software stops me cold.

If I try to respond to a long thread here is what happens:

1) go to top right corner and login

2) forum software refreshes to page one of the thread, showing logged in status

3) click on a subsequent page index number to reach post in question to hit quote button

4) forum software refreshes to desired page ... LOGIN IS GONE

Result? No answer. I'm not going to fight the forum software just to post an answer. It might be really good stuff ... but you'll never know.

Using the QUOTE button is no good because it leads to that standalone login page which is even more broken than the one at the top right corner. That one does not work at all.

If I fade out at the end of a thread ... the above is the reason.

IE8, and yes cookies are enabled.

Works on every other vbulletin forum except Jaguar Forums.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:53 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
1) go to top right corner and login

2) forum software refreshes to page one of the thread, showing logged in status

3) click on a subsequent page index number to reach post in question to hit quote button

4) forum software refreshes to desired page ... LOGIN IS GONE

Using the QUOTE button is no good because it leads to that standalone login page which is even more broken than the one at the top right corner. That one does not work at all.
I was unable to reproduce (using Safari/Mac). Every time I was immediately taken to the correct page after logging in, even after using the quote button and the stand-alone login page.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,934 Likes on 5,284 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
I was unable to reproduce (using Safari/Mac). Every time I was immediately taken to the correct page after logging in, even after using the quote button and the stand-alone login page.
+1
using XP-SP3/Seamonkey 2.17.1.
(';')

Old 07-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I can't even log in JF using IE let alone posting

Yes, cookies are enabled too

Old 07-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Well, alternative browsers are neither an excuse or a solution.

The fact of the matter is that IE is a significant presence on the internet and Windows even more so. It is a de-facto standard whether web developers moan about it or not.

The fact that this is not unique to Vbulletin, but is unique to Jaguar Forums and other internetbrands.com froums points the finger squarely at the particular way in which the staff at internetbrands.com have mangled the html, css and javascript. Cut and paste is dangerous when there is a lack of understanding as to the effects.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Well, alternative browsers are neither an excuse or a solution.

The fact of the matter is that IE is a significant presence on the internet and Windows even more so. It is a de-facto standard whether web developers moan about it or not.

The fact that this is not unique to Vbulletin, but is unique to Jaguar Forums and other internetbrands.com froums points the finger squarely at the particular way in which the staff at internetbrands.com have mangled the html, css and javascript. Cut and paste is dangerous when there is a lack of understanding as to the effects.
Sorry, I wasn't making excuses, merely relating my setup.

I also belong to a couple Internet tech forums wherein the procedure is to state what one's setup is (in a lot more detail than I gave) and how it works so that those with the knowledge and/or authority to do something about it know what to do and how to do it.

(';')

Old 07-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Sorry, I wasn't making excuses, merely relating my setup.

I also belong to a couple Internet tech forums wherein the procedure is to state what one's setup is (in a lot more detail than I gave) and how it works so that those with the knowledge and/or authority to do something about it know what to do and how to do it.

(';')
Sorry, I wasn't poking at a fellow SeaMonkey user. My preferred email client. It is also the browser I use when I absolutley must post to the end of a long thread.

Internetbrands staff is well aware of my setup in great excruciating detail from conversations with their representative in the private moderator forum. They seem to more interested in the latest whiz bang eye candy than basic usability. Thus, it was a reminder to them that moving to the latest bleeding edge browser is not really a useful answer. I have argued the point from multiple angles including market share and loss of advertising eyeballs to no avail. An icon for the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil monkey would be really useful here.

The logic is really simple ... does not work at internetbrands coded sites ... works on other vbulletin forums. Therefore, something local to internetbrands coded sites and not vbulletin or the browser.

BTW, all of the coding is the responsibility of internetbrands staff, it does not reflect on the admin or moderators of the site itself.

Last edited by plums; 07-07-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I wasn't poking at a fellow SeaMonkey user. My preferred email client. It is also the browser I use when I absolutley must post to the end of a long thread.

[...]
Thus, it was a reminder to them that moving to the latest bleeding edge browser is not really a useful answer. [...]
Oh. They want you to use Firefox? You won't like that one, Mozilla broke it big time. Even long time, dyed-in-the-wool faithful users are abandoning it like rats. I know because that's one of the forums I *used to* follow.

At least your SeaMonkey will work.
(';')