Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

1964 Jaguar Mark X 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1964 Jaguar Mark X 3.8

Hello,
I have just joined this forum seeking some information on jaguars! I am wanting to purchase a jaguar as my first car and am looking for some advice. I have done a lot of research and have a bit of an understanding of these cars. There are a few models I am considering but there is a 1964 Jaguar Mark X for sale in my area and I would like some advice on if the car is worth it or not. The car has 40,238km and they are asking $4,400 for it, it is an older restoration and I emailed the seller asking if there was any rust and what needed to be done. This is the email I got back.

There is paint bubbling, along the lower door edges, but not broken the surface. The drivers front wheel well has been repaired (poorly in my opinion) in the past and part of the work has chipped off. The car will need a professional tune. Because she has been sitting more than she has driven I strongly recommend the brakes be serviced, i still drive her, and she does stop but doesn't 'skid' to a stop....(4000lbs and all). I have only put about 500 miles on her since I bought her in 2010. The engine could do with fresh seals/gaskets, but I am not sure which ones. I have owned the car for 4 years or so, the estate I bought if from had owned it for 7 years and we believe it was stored between 10-20 years prior to that. I have completed various other repairs (bushings and seals) but she is ready for someone else to proceed to the next level of restoration.

I am not looking for it to be a concours car but a nice driver. I have a connection with someone who has experience working on jaguars as well someone in my family with a mechanic background. I just want to know if I should run or consider this car and how much it might cost to make it mechanically sound as well some buyers tips. I am aware that jags have many problems and can be hard to work on but I have the patience and want to own one. (I have photos but not sure how to add them in)

Thank you for your time!

Old 10-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hi Blainer

These cars were a child of their time, so not very well protected against rust, and they can rust very badly where it is cold and wet and lots of salt is used in winter.

Mechanically they have many components common with the other Jaguar saloons of the time, so availability is not too bad for these. The main problem you will have, if you find serious rusting, is getting repair panels as there are virtually none available. This is because the after-market sees no demand with very few cars surviving and little activity on repairs and rebuilds. A rebuild costs a fortune and the car is worth not very much at the end of it. That is the reality., I'm afraid. However the car could be an attractive buy if it really has had serious work done on it, but from the owners e-mail, it sounds like there is a load more to do.

For the kind of $$$ mentioned, you might be better looking for a much later car, like an XJ6 of the X300 series.

This UK supplier offers a few repair panels. I believe they ship to the US: -

Martin Robey

Old 10-07-2014, 02:24 PM

Thanks Fraser,
The seller is going to send me pictures of where rust is present and I might setup a time to see it to help make a decision, depending on the amount of rust, of course idk how much is under the paint and I might steer clear. I appreciate the advice.
Thanks

Old 10-07-2014, 03:09 PM

This is the link to the ad:
1964 Jaguar Mark X 3.8 for $4,400 in KIRKFIELD | autoTRADER.ca

Last edited by Blainer; 10-07-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

OK, having looked at the advert and photos, that car is definitely worth you going to have a look at it. Whether it is worth the price asked is another matter, only a physical inspection can tell you. What does the seller mean by "older restoration" for instance. A test drive is essential as is evidence of work done.

C$4400 = £2445 so not a huge price. Interior looks quite good, and this is important as it costs a huge amount to redo these.

It was always said at Jaguar that the XJ6 of 1968 was a 420G (Mark 10) with the air let out of the body !! SO it should drive like an XJ6 basically and give a boulevard ride. It's a heavy car so the brakes need to be up to snuff.