Marketplace Introducing our new Marketplace! Browse new listings, post your items for sale, or list a wanted ad.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lovely BRG over Tan 2004 X-Typer for sale - not running

For Sale

2004 Jaguar X-Type

04-16-2019, 07:45 PM | Replies: 25 | Views: 2763
  • 2004 Jaguar X-Type - Lovely BRG over Tan 2004 X-Typer for sale - not running - Used - VIN SAJEB52D84XE02945 - 6 cyl - 4WD - Manual - Sedan - Other - Basking Ridge, NJ 07920, United States
    Sold
  • 2004 Jaguar X-Type - Lovely BRG over Tan 2004 X-Typer for sale - not running - Used - VIN SAJEB52D84XE02945 - 6 cyl - 4WD - Manual - Sedan - Other - Basking Ridge, NJ 07920, United States
    Sold

• Price
    $900
    • OBO
  • Location Basking Ridge, NJ, 07920, USA
  • Condition Used
  • VIN SAJEB52D84XE02945
  • Engine 6 cyl
  • Drive Type 4WD
  • Transmission Manual
  • Vehicle Type Sedan
  • Exterior Color Other
Description:

Up for sale to a good home - my well loved X-Type.

I have owned this car for 5 years, and put about 100k on it since I bought it.

Current condition is: beautiful but not running, with a known bad clutch slave cylinder. The only cosmetic issues are a drooping headliner and wear on the drivers seat bolster. Paint is excellent with no clearcoat issues.

My son was driving this car home from work when the clutch went to the floor on a shift and stayed there. We got AAA to bring it home (I work on all our family cars) to take a look. It's clear that the slave cylinder has completely failed, with fluid leaking onto the ground from the bellhousing.

This happened in December, and I was determined to fix it because the car has had so much maintenance done and is in such nice shape cosmetically and mechanically. We started the car every weekend ... until about a month ago, when it turned over but refused to start. I did some light troubleshooting, but nothing obvious shows up (it would not start on starter fluid, so the fuel pump seems unlikely.

The job to replace the clutch is a big one. I have my own lift in my garage, but it's a hell of a lot of work to do the clutch repair, plus then we have to determine why its' not starting now.

Honestly, if I didn't have my XK8 I would probably do this - but I do, and that car and my MR2 suck up all my free time lately.

Somebody with more time than me could fix this and have a very nice car - and somewhat rare, what with it being a stick and the color scheme. A complete list of repairs done is available on request.

I'd rather give it at a very inexpensive price to somebody that wanted to fix it than scrap it.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:58 PM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Updates and Corrections

UPDATE:

Well, I certainly got a few things wrong, and figured some things out, so here are they are:

1) The engine *does* in fact run. Apparently, since my son and I know the clutch pedal was down already (due to the slave cylinder leak), we weren't pressing it down on the floor far enough to disengage the neutral safety switch. That occurred to me today, so I got in and tried it and ... it fired right up after sitting for two months. Runs just fine. There is a check engine light for (I think) one of the downstream sensors - we replaced both of the upstream ones during my ownership.

2) I was also wrong about the mileage - it is 160131, which can be seen in the attached picture.

3) I have uploaded extensive photos inside and out to a Google album which may be found here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zUd4KhHKuGAaRAHv5

4) I really would like to see this car go - my son is getting a newer car, so I'm lowering the ask to $700 or best offer. Any offer above scrap value will be considered.

Thanks!

Actual mileage

Old 04-22-2019, 08:13 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

If only you were closer to IL or WI.

The following 2 users liked this post by AJ16er:
jimborino (04-24-2019), Racing Green (09-01-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado Bound

Are you own to taking scrap value? I am interested, as this is my favorite color combo. I would need to work ot shipping to Colorado though.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:01 PM
JagForums Town Crier
Received 154 Likes on 103 Posts

This looks like it could be a great deal for the right buyer. David actually wrote it up for the front page, so hopefully it attracts some eyeballs. Good luck with the sale!

The following users liked this post:
jimborino (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 05:57 PM

Wow! Thanks for pointing this out to me - and to the admins for writing this up - it almost makes me want to buy my own car

The description in front page article says it's black - but as the pictures show it's actually British Racing Green with a Tan interior.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:00 PM

Please feel free to make me an offer - I know approximately what scrap value is, so I'll be able to tell you right away.

Shipping of a non-moving car is more expensive because of the hassle for the transporter moving it on and off - make sure you consider that if you get quotes. I know - I've done that before.

Racing Green (09-01-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimborino
Please feel free to make me an offer - I know approximately what scrap value is, so I'll be able to tell you right away.

Shipping of a non-moving car is more expensive because of the hassle for the transporter moving it on and off - make sure you consider that if you get quotes. I know - I've done that before.
Can you disclose your zip, so I can get some quotes?

Old 04-25-2019, 10:23 AM

Sure - 07920, Basking Ridge, NJ

Old 05-02-2019, 09:22 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Wow, this is interesting, and the clutch thing is a shame. I agree that seeing a nice condition X-Type put back in shape beats parting it out, though the realities of your situation don't give you much choice. While not super popular in the marketplace, a sharp looking 3.0 Liter X-Type with a manual trans has a certain appeal, and its potentially a great buy for someone who can sort it out. I look at a few X-Types at one point almost grabbing a Sports Trim 3.0 5 Speed with monochrome trum in black. Not too shabby, but it didn't work out. I liked the facelift in 07 but am I right that they didn't bring the Facelift Models to the US? I know by 09 they were in

The good: X-Types were an excellent value proposition at the time, essentially giving you the image of a scaled down XJ for less than half the price. The bad: Jaguars decision to base it on another car was practical. Using the Mondeo with transmission take off to the rear axle was a good call to resolve the glaring issue of a FWD Jaguar, and worked acceptably -see the Youtube series "Jaguar Mud-Type" as an off-roader with a snorkel! -https://youtu.be/-29X6ZWFFis , but the image thing keeps getting in the way. "Based on a FORD!" Oh dear heavens no! Blasphemy!

The logic was sound. Take a solid but otherwise unexciting car, apply Jaguar materials, style and image and offer the pubic a reasonable low cost of entry to the marque. It was a tried and true Ford formula for success. Can anyone remember Lee Iacocca telling the team "Take a Thunderbird and put a Rolls Royce Grill on it? Or The entire Mercury division? Those are the GOOD examples. Shall I dredge up the Lincoln Versailles? And that's sort of what happened here, in much milder way. There are many reasons Ford never turned a profit at Jaguar. Applying their "tried and True" methods contributed mightily. Been down to your local "Sign of The Cat" Dealer lately?

The Bad:

The public did not shun these cars. They didn't exactly flock to them either, and as the models aged Jaguar did what they could to breathe life into them. From the get-go, the automotive press could see exactly what was being delivered, and they did buy in a little at first, then basically ignored them afterwards. The formula that produced this car and the S-Type were how Ford saw the market. The S-Type replacement; the XF and the X-Types follow on, the XE are how Jaguar see's itself. The fact that no one is buying them still is only partly a consequence of some of the image issues Jaguar got during "the Ford Years" and Ford did more to save Jaguar than they did to hurt it. The point is that slow sales are too complex to blame on any one issue. While walking to my car one day, I overheard a guy pronouncing "the problem with Jaguar" to his lady friend: "Jaguar has the least reliable cars you can buy according to every survey" -Really? Hmm, I guess I dreamed the multiple years that they topped the J.D. Powers Quality lists.

What all that, and in spite of the fact that I harbor a silly resentment of the X-Type for "cheapening" the image of the XJ Series simply by emulating it at a low cost, I would snap this car up in a nanosecond if I had the resources to fix it. My daughter drives a reliable but dull 2000 Mercedes Benz C280 with 220k on the clock. Reliable, but very tired, and a snoozer as far as curb appeal. She would enjoy the heavy application of style into her life this nicely kept X-Type brings. I repeat that I think the X-Type slightly softened the value of X350 XJ's that it so closely emulated, especially front and front quarter views, as well as interior style and materials. It's no XJ, which has been Jag's Flagship, and from the 70's through late 90's Jaguar's ONLY sedan. I conjure people who have owned or just test driven an X-Type thinking the XJ is just a big ol' X-Type, only more of a land yacht. I obviously have a vivid imagination spending lots of time on imagined slights that don't exist, lol.

Some people that I know would be interested that this is out there. It's a great project that could be a solid car for someone with the right time, tools and place to put it right. And yes, the 3.0 Liter / 5 Speed is one of the best things about this car - even if it shrinks the potential audience.

Jimborino - Do you have a ballpark idea what the parts will run?

The following 2 users liked this post by Blairware:
AJ16er (05-09-2019), jimborino (05-19-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Blairware
The fact that no one is buying them still is only partly a consequence of some of the image issues Jaguar got during "the Ford Years" and Ford did more to save Jaguar than they did to hurt it. The point is that slow sales are too complex to blame on any one issue. While walking to my car one day, I overheard a guy pronouncing "the problem with Jaguar" to his lady friend: "Jaguar has the least reliable cars you can buy according to every survey" -Really? Hmm, I guess I dreamed the multiple years that they topped the J.D. Powers Quality lists.
Indeed on the general public viewing the marque as "unreliable." Pushing the brand down market didn't help things either. Boutique brands can get away with a lot more.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:12 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Does the drivetrain drop out or can you pull just the engine or just the transmission? I'm not buying (have enough projects), just curious.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Default Scrap price is apparently $225

I would be willing to sell it for that if somebody wants it.

It's a real shame to lose a manual X-Type in BRG/Tan - they made very few of them.

Please let me know ASAP - my wife wants this out of the driveway soonest :-(

Racing Green (09-01-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by jimborino
I would be willing to sell it for that if somebody wants it.

It's a real shame to lose a manual X-Type in BRG/Tan - they made very few of them.

Please let me know ASAP - my wife wants this out of the driveway soonest :-(
I am definitely interested provided I can find reasonable shipping to Chicago. Uship perhaps? Anyone know approximately what it would cost?? I am not home right now and won't be until Thursday. Do you have the title in your or son's name? If the Uship thing doesn't work out I have a few weeks of free time coming up and may just drive out there with a rented trailer and get it. What does the car weight?

Last edited by AJ16er; 05-19-2019 at 10:43 AM.
jimborino (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 02:36 PM

I'm not entirely sure how to answer this - you don't have to drop the engine, but you do have to drop the transfer case and some of the suspension.

I didn't look up the cost of parts - but most of the aftermarket parts are quite reasonable, and there was no slipping of the clutch at all.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by AJ16er
I am definitely interested provided I can find reasonable shipping to Chicago. Uship perhaps? Anyone know approximately what it would cost?? I am not home right now and won't be until Thursday. Do you have the title in your or son's name? If the Uship thing doesn't work out I have a few weeks of free time coming up and may just drive out there with a rented trailer and get it. What does the car weight?
I do have the title on hand and in my name. I just looked up the car weight, and it's approximately 3,516 lbs.

It would great if you could save it - I will cancel the pickup from the scrap yard tomorrow and leave it available for another week or two - but that's at the most - after that I will *have* to have it out of the driveway to ensure spousal harmony

Old 05-19-2019, 05:30 PM

@jimborino If you could give me two weeks tops to organize this that would be great.

Last edited by AJ16er; 05-19-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:34 AM

@jimborino If you could give me two weeks tops to organize this that would be great.
I can do that - I would *really* like someone to save this car! Thanks!

Old 05-20-2019, 08:09 PM

@jimborino I forgot to ask, is this the 2.5 or 3.0L?

Old 05-21-2019, 07:44 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

@jimborino I forgot to ask, is this the 2.5 or 3.0L?
It's a 3 liter/5 speed combo... nice.

That weight... 3516 pounds. My XJ Vanden Plas weighs 121 pounds more, on a 19 inch longer wheelbase, and the XJ is over 20 INCHES longer. (205" vs 183" )Yes, it's not awd, but it's a full sized V8 riding on 19" wheels. Ahh the wonders of Aluminum monocoque.

Some of Jaguars newer aluminum designs are getting pudgy again. Obviously equipment related but also beefier suspensions. Not necessarily a bad thing, as the X350 suspension (air) is perhaps too delicate.