MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

1966 S type restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is very thin on the whole of the toe board as can be seen in the picture and all the way along the tunnel as the moisture has travelled al the way along the insultation as it is thiick and like a sponge. Everything is repairable but along with the state of the rest of the car, it is not worth it in my opinion as it would probably need a complete front end as well looking at the headlmps today. The inner wing where the fire has been is awfully thin as well due to the corrosion so too much work for me. As said, I can break the car for more so will be keeping an eye out for another one. I have already been told about another couple of cars for sale, one being an S type so will see what happens. In the meantime, if anyone needs any parts, let me know what you need.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

keep that one for salvage parts and get one in nice shape.

if you visit the International Jaguar S type Register and join the forum, there are a number of S type for sale there and some already restored in UK.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

Tough call, but probably the right one. Good luck with your search for something with a little more useable metal.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:37 AM
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sulzeruk
In the meantime, if anyone needs any parts, let me know what you need.
I'm sorry to hear that it's beyond repair, I've got a 1966 3.8MOD S that I have picked up recently. It's a long shot given the condition of the underneath but I'm looking for the vacuum reservac tank and bracket that is located underneath the front wing on the left hand side of the car (not the big brake tank on the drivers side)

I'm also in need of a few bits and pieces from the interior, heater controls and the like.

cheers

Brent

Old 01-07-2018, 07:56 AM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

there is a s type shell for sale near to me,in the uk, in louth Lincolnshire,
the guy has 2 cars,pm me for a number.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by DaimlerMK2
there is a s type shell for sale near to me,in the uk, in louth Lincolnshire,
the guy has 2 cars,pm me for a number.

This would be the way forward by the sounds of it, shame, but worth a body swap.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:57 AM

Have sent you a PM about the S type shell.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

got it, and sent you one back,
hope you get fixed up,
and tell us all about it.

Last edited by DaimlerMK2; 01-07-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:26 AM
Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

you've made a wise choice. like jose i'm here in the us and in the southwest to boot. after watching ed china take on stuff that i would have run screaming away from (that XJS mike foisted on him for instance), i have sat gob smacked at the stuff you guys are willing to take on. your s kind of took the cake though. best of luck getting another, hope the shell works out!

https://www.stovebolt.com/features/sagas/sanderson/

ended up taking and selling the 'burb at Barrett-Jackson, a once in a life time experience. only took 11 years.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...RRYALL--139298

Last edited by jagstuart; 01-08-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wearlej
I'm sorry to hear that it's beyond repair, I've got a 1966 3.8MOD S that I have picked up recently. It's a long shot given the condition of the underneath but I'm looking for the vacuum reservac tank and bracket that is located underneath the front wing on the left hand side of the car (not the big brake tank on the drivers side) I'm also in need of a few bits and pieces from the interior, heater controls and the like. cheers Brent
if he doesn't have it, I have two used but unrusted Reservac tanks. Can't remember if I have the brackets too, but will look.

it would help if you post a picture of yours to make sure they are the same.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jose
if he doesn't have it, I have two used but unrusted Reservac tanks. Can't remember if I have the brackets too, but will look.

it would help if you post a picture of yours to make sure they are the same.
That would be incredibly helpful, I'd love to be able to post a picture but it is completely missing on my car. I was trying to troubleshoot why the heater controls and scuttle don't work and discovered that the reservac and the pipes that run across to the T piece are just not there. It's been blocked off at the T piece.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

yikes!

what else is missing? I can get the pipes, clips and screws for the pipes, the vacuum tank, the three way check valve, and the scuttle vent vacuum actuator if missing.

The following users liked this post:
wearlej (01-09-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Yup, you sure could use my panels. If interested I'll take/send some pictures.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sulzeruk
It is very thin on the whole of the toe board as can be seen in the picture and all the way along the tunnel as the moisture has travelled al the way along the insultation as it is thiick and like a sponge. Everything is repairable but along with the state of the rest of the car, it is not worth it in my opinion as it would probably need a complete front end as well looking at the headlmps today. The inner wing where the fire has been is awfully thin as well due to the corrosion so too much work for me. As said, I can break the car for more so will be keeping an eye out for another one. I have already been told about another couple of cars for sale, one being an S type so will see what happens. In the meantime, if anyone needs any parts, let me know what you need.
Hi!

I´m looking for differential output shaft for s-type but I´ll guess you would rather sell the complete differential?

Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jose
yikes!

what else is missing? I can get the pipes, clips and screws for the pipes, the vacuum tank, the three way check valve, and the scuttle vent vacuum actuator if missing.
Hi Jose,

It's missing all of that! I'll send you a PM so as to not hijack the original thread any further

Cheers

Brent

Old 02-26-2018, 11:51 AM

I am breaking the car if anyone needs anything, it is all mostly there. All the doors are away all ready but most of the nterior and dash parts are there in big lumps. Also the engine, transmission, rear cage,front subframe are all present still too.
Alasdair

Old 02-26-2018, 12:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi there,
I could be interested in some Chrome trim pieces, if they have escaped damage.
In particular, I’m after the short little chrome piece behind the rear door, on the passenger side (assuming its a r.h drive U.K. car). I’m also after the semi-vertical pair of chrome trims either side of the rear number plate recess, and both rear door ash trays.
Drop me a pm if you have any of those bits to sell.

Good luck with your mission!

Richard

Old 02-26-2018, 12:30 PM

Most of the chrome was a bit second hand Richard so has been left on the car.
Alasdair

Old 02-26-2018, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

ash trays:

do you mean the removable ash tray? or the permanent housing for the ash tray?

Old 02-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Regarding the ash trays, I’m missing the removable part, from both sides.
The “back story” is that I drilled out the rivets which form the “swivel” and had the ashtray lids re-chromed. Since then, I’ve struggled to get a satisfactory repair or replacement for the original “swivel.” it’s got to the point where I’m trying to simply replace the removable section of each ashtray complete.
Richard

Quick Reply: 1966 S type restoration