MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Clutch plumbing

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 07:10 PM
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Clutch plumbing

I'm converting my 66 Mk2 from a worn out auto box to a T5 and I'm hoping to get some help with the plumbing. It appears that the hard line from the clutch slave runs up the bell housing and extends up to a bracket that (I think) mounts to the last two cylinder head nuts. I have found some pictures of the clip and it looks like a chrome plated, V-shaped thing with two slots. I'm assuming that the hard line transitions to the flex hose on that bracket but it is not clear how that works. Since I had an auto box, I don't have the clip and I cannot find a new one anywhere and the only used one I can find (on Ebay) is not in great shape and would cost me about 80 bucks to ship to the US(!!!). Does anyone know of a source for the bracket? Same question for the clip that seems to go along with it to hold the plumbing in place. I have not been able to find any pictures of how the bracket works. Any pictures of that and the routing of the hard line from the clutch M/C to the other end of the flex line would be greatly appreciated. I looked at Lin's excellent Valvechatter site and the picture of the clutch plumbing comes so close to showing me what I need but not quite.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Master cylinder to body bracket on scuttle/firewall. Flexible jumper to engine chromed V bracket (37). Down bell housing perimeter to slave. V bracket designed for LHD or RHD configuration. Hence 2 slots. Sorry I have little LHD reference material but same applies.

Relatively unmolested original.

Mine ~ only pic I have.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-16-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:02 PM

Thanks, Glyn. The pictures are very helpful. The RHD vs. LHD explains the two slots. Very clever. Now I'm searching the world for the bracket but it looks like something that could be made if necessary.
I just pulled up my under-bonnet pictures and I do have the bracket welded to the firewall!! Thank you, Jaguar, for anticipating the transmission swap!

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

P/N C12731

Presume this is the one you have seen? Certainly re-chromeable. Shipping charges outrageous! Cheaper to manufacture & chrome.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Jaguar-XK-en...IAAOSwMrxfcwYY

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-16-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:35 PM

Yes. I did see that one on Ebay. Over 100 bucks to ship a 100g piece of metal to the US!!?? For that kind of money it better be strapped into a business class seat and have first choice on the wine and cheese tray. I'm wondering if it is just supply and demand with cargo with overseas flights being so rare now. I'll have a look after Christmas and see if it comes down. If not, you are right...... I can make my own. There are some later E-Type brackets that may work, too.

Glyn M Ruck (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 488 Posts

PFFT !!!
That's 200 bucks to ship to Canada !
What a rip off, I'm getting a piece for my Myford lathe from the UK with tracking for only £30.00. (and the piece is rather bulky)

People feel justified when they charge rates like this because they have to stand in line at the post office and rick their lives with Covid floating around.

Glyn M Ruck (12-18-2020)
Old 05-03-2021, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, this was my Item and it was listed on eBay under the GSP so it was eBay that fixed the shipping costs not me! if you'd of messaged me I would have sorted a much cheaper option for you. I send stuff to the states all the time so it's not a problem.
Cheers
Chris

Old 05-03-2021, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 672 Posts

I have found in the past that some items are listed on EBay with high postage cost even within the UK because the seller does not have to pay EBay commision on the postage but has to pay it on the sale price of the item. The price of the item for sale should then be slightly cheaper than standard as more profit can be made on the postage. This is not always the way though. When searching for an item I usually set the filter to show me items in order of lowest price + postage and packing and treat it as an overall price rather than just the price of the item. If the cost of postage especially for larger items is in my opinion excessive I often contact the seller and arrange my own courier to collect.

Glyn M Ruck (05-03-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 06:45 PM

Thanks, Morsejags for the clarification. I should have figured that something was wrong or no one would ever buy something from overseas. I did eventually find the bracket here in the US and had it rechromed. Its interesting (to me, anyway) that some have the two slots and some (like the one I bought) have two holes. A running change, I guess.

Old 12-17-2022, 03:59 PM

Now that the clutch fork travel issue is corrected, it is time to revisit the clutch plumbing. I bought the clutch hard line kit from SNG Barratt which includes two pipes that are identical aside from the lengths. One is about 2 inches longer than the other. Both need to be bent into the proper shape so at this point I don't know which to use for the slave-to-flex run and which to use for the master to-flex-run. The Mk2 factory manual shows the hard line entering the slave from the top and I assume that my SNG kit would be the same as the factory (hard to bleed) set up. Unless someone knows how long each of the had lines should be I guess I will sacrifice a metal clothes hanger and figure it out. Also, I assume I should reverse the setup at the head-mounted bracket in Glyn's pictures above since my car is a LHD but if anyone knows, I would appreciate some input.
Thanks
Craig

Glyn M Ruck (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

You should plumb with the bleed nipple as mine showing up. Gets the last bit of air out of the system more easily. Some people battle to bleed properly nipple down. Presume why Jaguar changed it.

Yes you reverse the pipework on the engine to body jumper. Bracket made to be one size fits all.

Length of which pipe goes where should be easy to work out. Long one around the periphery of the bell housing to curl under the slave cylinder.

That is a LHD diagram I show above. 1972 Service Manual or November 1970 Parts Manual are referred to here in all comments. They should pick up all Compact Jag changes as production ended in 1968 ~ 1969 if you include Daimler due to delay in Daimler XJ6 variety.

Do you have the hard line to reservoir?

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-17-2022 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-25-2022, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member

Just as a matter in passing. On the Amazon & eBay Global shipping/duties/delivery system if the item cost less in duties & freight you will get a message from Amazon or eBay & a refund to your credit card for the overcharge once cleared your end. Just got notification and a $11.36 refund to my card yesterday. They are very fair about this & tend to overquote so you have instant clearing your end.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-25-2022 at 02:47 AM.