MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Crankshaft seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft seal

Hello, does anyone how to replace a crankshaft seal in a 1963 Jaguar MK II, 3.8L. I heard that it requires moving the head cover and removing the engine. I also heard from another company that it calls for removing the crankshaft pulley and replacing the seal. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

You don't state what seal you mean as there are two, one at each end of the engine.

The front seal is of the lip type (spring loaded neoprene), and is held in place by the sump, (half), and front timing cover, (other half). However, if you look on the engine diagram, you will see that the actual seal bears on a separate spacer, which is pushed on to the crank shaft and has its own O-ring seal to the crankshaft. So you take off the crank pulley, damper, damper cone, and sump, pull off the spacer, then the seal should drop down to permit its removal. However, I have only replaced a seal when the engine was dismantled, so maybe Doug has done one and will post. Of course this method may not work and you will need to remove the timing cover. This is possible without removing the head, but the sump has to come off first and the studs fastening the cover to the head have to come out. See if you find a decent engine layout diagram on the internet - I found one at www.xks.com

The rear seal is an asbestos rope-type that needs the engine to come out and the crankshaft to be removed, a BIG job !! There is a conversion kit for a modern lip-type seal, but this needs the crank to be ground as well to make a smooth contact surface for the seal.

SNG Barratt - UK | Accessories | Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Conversion

The two halves of the asbestos rope seal are very cheap, it is the labour that makes the job expensive. There is also a definite knack in fitting one, and you really need to use the special sizing tool, although I didn't and then suffered from leakage ever after.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The XJ6 4.2 engine is similar and the way we replaced the seal without completely removing the oil pan was to drop the pan to the subframe and grind the lower outer edges of the front cover to allow the seal to be pulled 'down and forward' when the crank 'distance piece' is removed.

The later engines (series III???) had the aluminum front cover outer lower edges already removed to facilitate removal without disturbing the front cover.

Jaguar warranty time was amended to reflect the fact that most mechanics just dropped the pan and replaced the seal without removing the front cover after grinding the front cover lower edges on a 45 degree angle.

The newer front crank seal for the XJ is called the DOWTY seal so you might do a search for that.

bob gauff