MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Front seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front seats

Do the wider seats with the arm rests like from a S-type for example fit straight into the Mk2, and what are the differences between these style of seats, ie are the daimler V8 seats different from the S-type or 420 etc...
Just fancy some seats with the arm rests but from the same period.

cheers

Old 11-12-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Jose or Primaz would probably answer this one for you, send them a PM, or I am sure they will be on here soon.

I would imagine the S-type seats may fit, but would be an issue with the console, the S-type console is a lot narrower, you could possibly change the console, but I then think you would have a knock on problem with the radio and dash.

Daimler seats would be the easy seat change route, but again you would need to lose the console and fit radio as per Daimler.

Other option is to adapt the centre console to add the armrest, MK2 is doing this, he has some pics on here, or look at his valvechatter.com website for it, that is the least complicated route for sure.

The following users liked this post:
Jose (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Thanks Jon, I have no clue if S type or 420 front seat width would fit the MK2. But I see no reason why.

the S type Center console is very low over the transmission tunnel, and is allowed for by the seat squabs themselves, the Backs of the seats join at the center with armrests and neatly over the console.

If the MK2 console is higher than the S type console, as with Bucket Seats, then the S type seats would not fit over it.

think of it this way: the S type and 420 front seats are like a full Bench seat but split in two, individually reclining and with individual front to rear adjustment. Also individually removable.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

I have a 1963 S type and for me I mounted 2004 Vaden Plas front and rear seats. I wanted full electric seats with the wooden picnic trays and full head support. I think any of the Jaguar sedan and sports car seats will fit but some modifications will be needed. For my setup the front seats required some minor cutting of the seat mount and minor welding to clean it up and make it clean. The rear seats were 1 foot too long so they had to be sectioned to fit. Even if you do not have those skills any good custom car shop that can weld could to the same and the mods would take them a day or two max so I would not let that scare you off. I doubt any seat will just drop right in without some mods. I did not need to modify the center consul for the seats but I did add cup holders and two gauges to monitor my dual battery system.

Doug, whom has a MKII with a modern Jagu V8 did a similar seat install as mine but he added a modern consul, etc. but looking at his I think you could do it with the stock consul but maybe you might need to mod it to fit?

Attached Thumbnails Front seats-dsc04773.jpg   Front seats-dsc04763.jpg   Front seats-dsc04761.jpg  

Last edited by primaz; 11-13-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

he said he wanted period seats, not modern seats. Where are your 1963 seats?

Old 11-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

Jose,

I sold my 1963 S type seats locally. I did not like the stock seats as those old half back support seats to me are so uncomfortable and did not pay that much attention to them; did all the S-type seats have arm rests? Which ever seats have arm rests I am sure they can be made to fit but I doubt they would just fit without some modifications. There are a number of Jaguar junk yards so I am sure those old style seats are not too hard to find.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

yes, the S type seats have individual armrests in the center, the 420 used the same seats.

the S type seats are more comfortable than the seats in my XJ-6.

No they are not RECAROS or modern "cup" seats, but comfortable they are.

I know a fellow in Maine who might have S type front seats but in total disrepair, they would have to be reupholstered and foams replaced.