MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Jaguar Mk2 restoration in Poole, Dorset

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

I need to nail down the wiring in the dash before I fit the seats and have no room ! Then put front and rear suspension in and fit engine and gearbox, they are all done ready to fit, just need the time to bolt it all in.

This is the guy that has 2 Mk2's in bit's, https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/william.b...72.m2749.l2654 no idea about the shells, but worth giving him a message to find out, I bought some wheels from him, I think I may have his number, if you want it I will give him a call and ask if he minds me passing it on.

Did the engine rebuild myself, not the machine work, I had a guy down the road from me that does race engines do it for me, he does race XK's for some of his clients so was happy to do it as he normally does Lotus/Ford etc race work. Frank really knows his stuff, and he won't do the work if you want a cheap half a job done ! +20 thous bore out, new pistons, crank polished, balanced, head fitted with new valve seats, valve guides, valves, flywheel lightened, all balanced including clutch, uprated crank oil seal from Rob Beere racing, all new bearings, high flow oil pump, basically a new engine ! It's not a cheap job, and although the engine is pretty straight forward you don't want to be rushed if you want to get it right.

I have another one to do which I am going to port the head, up-rate the engine, fit twin 2" SU's , ported intake tract etc. and looking to get an extra 40 - 50HP out of that one, it will just be a fast road build not full race as I want to keep the torque band down in the rev range and keep a smooth tickover, so I have to be careful not to get carried away and over port the head !!!

The following users liked this post:
csbush (01-30-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 1,050 Posts

The midnight porter.

TilleyJon (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:34 AM
Received 190 Likes on 124 Posts

Grant,
Do you need the bolt in heater plenum, or the welded side for box? I have the bolt in piece here in Ohio.

Grant Bovard (03-05-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lickahotskillet
Grant,
Do you need the bolt in heater plenum, or the welded side for box? I have the bolt in piece here in Ohio.
I think Grant needs the spot welded sections on the passenger compartment side of the firewall that duct the air from left when it enters from the heater to the centre under the instrument panel looking at the pictures Clyde.

The following 2 users liked this post by TilleyJon:
Grant Bovard (03-05-2019), lickahotskillet (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:57 PM

Ah, now I see the destruction. Wasn't clear on my phone. I just have the detachable plenum.

TilleyJon (01-23-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Afternoon guys,

Thanks Jon for the link to the guy selling parts on eBay. Sounds like you have gone to town on your MK2 and I bet it will sound and drive amazing. Are you going to sell on or keep??
Do you have an date to have it all completed?

Thanks Clyde, but John is spot on with what I need! I cut out a better better plenum from a car local to me as mine was well rusty. The car has been stood outside in the rain for years so was completely rotten, just fell away in my hands.

Last edited by Grant Bovard; 01-24-2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: amendment
Old 01-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Keep up the good work! I'm always impressed at the efforts you folk go to, to save a car from the crushers. Well done.

I was blessed with finding a truly rust free car that had never been to coast. It was a long hard search. My donors are both rustbuckets.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Bovard

Afternoon guys,

Thanks Jon for the link to the guy selling parts on eBay. Sounds like you have gone to town on your MK2 and I bet it will sound and drive amazing. Are you going to sell on or keep??
Do you have an date to have it all completed?

I want to get it finished in the next 3 months ready for the summer, I have no intention of selling this one, I probably won't sell the second one either to be honest as long as I have safe storage I will keep them unless I need funds for another project, I would quite like a DHC 140 or 150, but even project cars are pretty costly, but they do fetch good money when restored.

The 340 was a complete basket case really so that is almost a new car including the interior, the second one has a decent interior, carpets need changing and the headliner, woodwork refurb, but other than that inside is good, body and powertrain will have the same complete rebuild, but the car will have a different feel because of the aged interior which will be really cool.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:12 PM
Default rotissorie

Grant,
Did you find a rotisserie to your liking? Mine is a Auto Twiller - 3000# capacity.

The following 2 users liked this post by lickahotskillet:
Grant Bovard (03-18-2019), littlelic69 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 06:01 AM

Hi Guys,

Hope you are all well.

Does anybody know what size engine hoist I will need to lift the engine and gearbox (together) out of the jag?

Would a 1 tonne be okay?

Thanks

Grant

Old 03-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

I would suggesst that you would need a two ton unit as you need a hoist that has a large reach and can pickup the weight of that engine at that reach (i.e. a two hoist may be two tonnes on its shortest reach and half a tone on its longest.

To be honest I have always dropped the engine out the bottom by lowering the engine and box onto a trolley (still int the car) then unbolting it and lifting the car off the engine, I always feed that the car weighs less than the engine box, especially if its been stripped down first.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:32 PM

Hi homer,

thanks for your reply.. I will buy the 1 Ton engine crane and try removing the engine from underneath as you suggested..

What size engine stand will I need to work on engine when gear box is removed?

Thanks for your help.

grant

Old 03-21-2019, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Grant,

I am seeing a mate this morning that makes a lot of stuff for Sealey and Snap On, I can get stuff a lot cheaper from him, I will see what he has if you like.

A 1 ton crane will lift 500Kg at full reach, the engine weighs approx 500 Kg on it's own, with the gearbox about about 600kg, you need a crane that will take 1000kg at full reach to be safe and an engine stand that will take in excess of 600 Kg otherwise it will flex a lot with a built up engine on it.

I will see what my mate has and let you know.

Jon

Old 03-21-2019, 02:51 AM
Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Bovard
Hi homer,

thanks for your reply.. I will buy the 1 Ton engine crane and try removing the engine from underneath as you suggested..

What size engine stand will I need to work on engine when gear box is removed?

Thanks for your help.

grant
Honestly don't buy the smaller one you will regret it as it will bend, I bent one taking the engine out of a 420 once and the hoist was totally scrap afterwards. Spend a little extra and it will be fine, also I would be alittle wary of the cheap e-bay units.

Regarding engine stands, again you need something very strong, I used a cheap ebay one and a piece of wood at front that the crank nose sat on, otherwise it would bend. I would say it was marginal at best.

These are very heavy engines and you ignore that at your peril!

Old 03-21-2019, 03:32 AM

Hi Jon/Homer,

Thanks for your advice, the crane I was going to buy was a second hand Clarke one for £130 the guy has used twice and purchased from machine mart. He lives in Salisbury and was going to pick up later tonight.

Jon, it would be great if you could speak to your mate and see what he can offer please/ I'm after an engine stand to.

I was thinking of following ur advice and taking the engine out from the bottom.. Only thing is once the subframe is off and engine out, the car wont be that mobile!!. Would it be better to reconnect the subframe (once engine out) then I can move car?

Thanks for ur advice, much appreciate it.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:58 AM

Here is the crane...

Last edited by Grant Bovard; 03-21-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:04 AM

Any luck on speaking to your mate Jon tiller?

Also when putting a jag on a rotisserie, does the front bolt to the chassis rails?

Thabks grant

Old 03-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

The one he makes is normally £1000, he will do one for £500, but it is pretty substantial, not like the online stuff, it will lift full weight at full reach all day long, but that is probably too much money ?

You can borrow mine if you want to come and pick it up.

He doesn't do engine stands any longer, they were pretty over engineered with bearings in the head etc. so could not compete with the online stuff unfortunately.

Re making the car mobile, you can make up a dolly for the car with castors so you can move it about, once you finish the bodywork, you can use a full dolly to move the car around, see pic.

The rotisserie attaches to the same point the front bumper brackets attach, and to the rear bumper mounts for the back end.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:10 PM

Evening Jon,

Thanks for your reply and speaking to your friend and offering your hoist to borrow.

Gonna try and drop the suspension first, then go from there..

Did you make ur dolly? I was gonna make one out of wooden fence posts?

I love the colour of your jag!

thanks grant

Old 03-26-2019, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Grant,
yes I did make the dolly, it fits to the front and rear suspension mounting points on the chassis rails, I have used it to move the car on a trailer a few times too, so it does work really well, if I made one again I would probably fit slightly larger diameter castors which would allow me to move it easily on rougher ground (the area outside my workshop is not very smooth)

You could make one from wood if you didn't need to move the body far i.e. just around the workshop, it would not be robust enough for much else.

Dropping the front suspension is pretty simple but an engine crane helps as you can lift the car up and simply wheel the front suspension out, but you have to lift it high enough to clear the wheels under the bumper area, you can do it with jacks, but you need to make sure the jacks have enough lift to do it.

The colour is gun metal grey, looks really good with the chrome, but of course I would say that !

Quick Reply: Jaguar Mk2 restoration in Poole, Dorset