MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Jaguar MKII Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pics of car

Hello to all
Just a couple more pics of the car and what i am trying to achieve.
I am at the trial and error stage (sometimes more error) to see what fits as I measured most things before buying the xj, but measuring and fitting can sometimes be 2 different things. The plan is to keep the original dash, and upgrade everything else. I took out the console from the xj and cut to fit so that the screen would mount in its original place. One of the nicities about buying a complete car is the extras you get like the telephone. The touch screen worked before I pulled it out of the xj so should be a matter of plugging everything back in. yeah right.

P.S I will try and fix my email.
Glenn

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar MKII Engine swap-car1.jpg   Jaguar MKII Engine swap-car2.jpg   Jaguar MKII Engine swap-car3.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

This is my rear end restoration, with no performance mods except for Brembo brake parts.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar MKII Engine swap-3.jpg   Jaguar MKII Engine swap-4.jpg   Jaguar MKII Engine swap-5.jpg   Jaguar MKII Engine swap-1.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
This is my rear end restoration, with no performance mods except for Brembo brake parts.
Mish, that looks great! Good job as my rear suspension looked like your before pic too. I highly recommend the "Watts Linkage" from Acton Custom Enterprises, LLC as it looks totally stock when installed and it will eliminate virtually any issues with the rear hub carriers for increased reliability. When you paint them silver it is hard to tell that there is any modifications as the fit the curvature of the stock hub carrier and it looks like one factory piece when done.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by glennd
Hello to all
Just a couple more pics of the car and what i am trying to achieve.
I am at the trial and error stage (sometimes more error) to see what fits as I measured most things before buying the xj, but measuring and fitting can sometimes be 2 different things. The plan is to keep the original dash, and upgrade everything else. I took out the console from the xj and cut to fit so that the screen would mount in its original place. One of the nicities about buying a complete car is the extras you get like the telephone. The touch screen worked before I pulled it out of the xj so should be a matter of plugging everything back in. yeah right.

P.S I will try and fix my email.
Glenn
Glenn, I love your interior! I am putting the Vanden Plas seats in a similar light cream color with the picnic trays. We are waiting until the end of the build to see about modifying the rear seats. The Vanden Plas rear seat is much longer so we are not sure how hard it would be to shorten it or if we should have an upolstery place take and modify the stock rear using the Vanden Plas rear seat skin and parts? I have restored all the wood and when we are closer to the end we will clear coat it and I cannot wait to see that in the car as it will have a great finish like yours does! That wood really makes the Jaguar special.

I am keeping my car an auto trans with the stock colum shift as I will have a crazy mobile office in the Jag. I have the center council of the Vanden Plas which looks a lot like yours but we are not sure if it will fit easily? I'd love to learn more about what you did to modify that council to fit. I like the look of the modern council but I want to mount my computer mount lower in the Jaguar so police do not harrass me with my Lenovo laptop as I have to hide the screen at night right now in my Lexus because the screen it too visible at night.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Engine Mounts

Does anyone know of a source for engine mount adapters for a SBC (small block chevy). I want to use stock SBC engine mounts (that bolt to the engine) so I need an adapter from them to the Jag frame engine mounts. With a bit of hassle I guess I can make them but if they exist and aren't too expensive I'd rather buy them.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A long time ago that I don't pass on this topic, and it is with pleasure that I found some similar projects. Primaz, Is that your car ahead? I can't wait to see the pictures.
Always looking for the ideal engine, I advance the body work these days. I'll start the chassis before I really look at the engine. So for you I should be able to mount the gear end of the s-type on my mk2?
I am really impressed with the work done in the cockpit.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...43841255_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...99081253_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...58557072_n.jpg

Old 01-25-2012, 06:48 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are not doing the upgrade for extra performance, do your sums carefully before jumping in. Remember, it is not the total mpg, but the difference in the mpg which is important when working out the savings by installing a more modern, more fuel efficient motor. As I recall (from a great many moons ago) my mate's 2.5L V8 Daimler did around 20mpg while my S type did about 18 with a 3.4L 6. If making all the changes gives you say 25mpg, and the cost of making all the mods etc to acheive that is say $10,000 -v- say $5,000 to rebuild the original, how long will it take you to recoup that additional $5,000 with a difference of 5mpg. And keep in mind that a fully restored original is more valuable as a 'collector' than a modified one.

It's a matter of horses for courses.

Petrol is the cheapest part of motoring.

Cheers,

Languid

Old 01-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You 're right, but the V8 250 daimler is realy powerless, let alone a 400hp engine, i want to found a great compromise, like 250hp for 1400kg. In fact i have three Daimler saloon 250, one full restaured by me 10 years ago and two waiting for restauration. I can't use every day my daimler in cause of the execive consomation (more than 18L for 100; so around 13MPG?). I want to optimise the rapport power/fuel, to have something differents than my other car.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

evrard36,

That pic brings back memories of the 70's. My closest mate had a 1966 Burgundy one, I has a 1967 Royal Blue 'S' type, and both had identical keys. The drinking laws somewhat simpler then, and the keys often made locating 'misplaced' cars on Saturday morning a bit easier!

Re the fuel consumption, just a thought.

The old SU's did wear the metering needle & seat, and that used to play havoc with both the fuel consumption & the performance. Petrol is remarkably abrasive. The wear would increase the fuel to air ratio making the mixture too rich, which in turn dropped the power while increasing the fuel consumption.

Another point to consider was that with those carburettors at least, they were a bit sensitive to atmospheric locations, and the needles needed to be selected for 'local' conditions. I used a device called a 'Colourtune' which was a 'see through' spark plug that you could watch the burn & adjust the mixture to get the correct 'bunsen blue' fuel burn. The other thing that was essential was to ensure that the carbs were 'balanced' in their air flow. There were tools on the market for doing that, but you can also use a length of quarter inch (6mm) tube to listen to the flow (one end to the carb, the other to your ear) to get them both sounding the same. Crude, but it does work although probably not as accurately as the tools which used an adjustable flow mask over the inlet of the carb to divert some of the drawn air through a tube with a ball bearing in it which would then 'float' in a tube chamber. You simply adjusted the butterflys' at idle for the same levels on both carbs.

With SU's, this was a very regular adjustment. They were a damned good carb, but needed very regular setting.

Cheers,

Languid

Old 01-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Steve,

The mount kit we are using is one for typical LS1 GM mounts which give a number of different adapters to weld, etc. to mount it in many different applications as the LS1 is used on so many non GM and early cars. I can try to find out the exact kit and post it but I think most kits provide many options for mounting.

Lanquid,

For me I am doing the upgrade for both performance, fuel economy and reliability. What I am doing is definately not for everyone but for me it is spot on. As far as resale that never was in my mindset but I can tell you if you go to any recent Barret Jackson and similar auctions, the restomod category of taking old classics and restoring them with modern technology to make them enjoyable daily drivers rather than collector toys clearly has shown they do get all of their investment back and often a lot of profit as long as the color and drivability are mainstream.

My restomod if I were to look at the cost does justify it. The mild high performance aluminum block alumunimum head fuel injected basically stock GM motor with rebuilt tranny is only about $5K US and will last 200,000 miles + and provide 25 mph, 450 horsepower, and start/drive like a modern car. If you just look at the powerplant upgrade it can be done for about the same as rebuilding the stock setup, you may add about 2k for the extra labor mods.

For me I am not really spending that much more than a stock rebuild but I do not want a stock car as they are too slow, the engine/tranny and mechanical is not as reliable, maintenance costs are much more expensive, the fuel efficiency is not there, carburated cars always have issues starting at different climates and need a lot of maintenance, and the comfort of stock seats is also just not that comfortable for daily driving. For me I will end up with a four door classic Jaguar with a modern interior for comfort, handling that can keep up with modern cars like a BMW M5, horsepower to either keep up with or hopefully surpass that same M5, yet has good fuel economy for daily driving and more important reliability, low maintenance so I can be not afraid of driving the heck out of the car every day. I know there are hardline Jag owners like every brand of car that are totally against modifying a car from stock and I appreciate what they desire but for me I do not want to have a car as a collector item for resale, I want a car that is fun, cool, that will give me enjoyment to drive. If I wanted an investment cars are not the greatest use of one's money for that purpose.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Great thread.

I am considering fitting a fuel injected LS1 to a Mk 2 (solid rear end).

Any thoughts on rear end issues that might be looming?

Also, any brake/suspension/steering issues I should be aware of?

I see many of you are changing seats - any particular recommendations (make, model, year)?

Appreciate any comments or suggestions,

John

j@mott.net

Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have introduced myself in the new members area.

I like the 3.8 (I have a '61 E Type OTS), but I am also interested in fuel injection and have always fancied a MK2, so I'm thinking of combining those two interests!

J

Old 03-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default 3.8S 2 Door

Check out my thread on the 2 door I'm making. I've shortened the wheelbase 9" and have started welding it back together. Next task will be the doors.

In the near future I will be thinking of the engine. I plan to use a SBC due to economics...cheap to get good power. An LS1 would be great but would cost quite a bit more. I'd love to put in a Jag V-8 but now your talking lots more money..and a SC 4.0 well geez I don't want to spend $4-5K for a used one..and then deal with the computer. I want a 5 speed manual and no one seems to know how to put a manual behind a modern Jag V-8.

Primaz: If I had a good LS1 I'd definitely run that. What do you think about an LQ9 out of a truck? Are your front mounted accessories going to fit?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johnRD
Hi,

Great thread.

I am considering fitting a fuel injected LS1 to a Mk 2 (solid rear end).

Any thoughts on rear end issues that might be looming?

Also, any brake/suspension/steering issues I should be aware of?

I see many of you are changing seats - any particular recommendations (make, model, year)?

Appreciate any comments or suggestions,

John

j@mott.net
The things I am doing to beef up the rear suspension is the Watts Linkage. I am upgrading the front brakes to 4 piston Wilwood disc brakes and power steering. There are kits already available for the rack and brakes. I am putting a fuel injected GM LS1 and we did have to modify the passenger firewall slightly but that was not very difficult. It is a great set up for the lightweight, the power, the fuel economy, and reliabiity. As for the seats I am installing Jaguar late model seats with the picnic tables and headrests. The reason why many upgrade the seats are the stock ones have no head support and if you have any power you will get back pains and whip lash without upgrading the seats.

I will be posting more pics soon that should give more insight to the mods needed.

FYI, we finished the test mounting of the LS1 and tranny and everything clears so we removed the engine/tranny and it is now at the body shop!

Last edited by primaz; 03-06-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 AM

Just to be clear.

I am considering purchasing a MK2 that already has a V8 in it. The original engines and transmissions of the cars I am looking at are long gone.

I appreciate all constructive suggestions and advice.

Thanks,

John

Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Default Engine swaps

Hello to everyone
I am glad I have found like minded people and hope we can share some of the knowledge. As to why I am changing the configuration of the car,
1. My car
2. My money
3. My reasons. (I dont need to justify my reasons to anybody.)

Owners of the cars should do all the research they can before deciding on which way to go, but dont be put off making changes.

I was going down the route of SBC but have been looking at the LS engines. I found an interesting article in a Hot Rod site where they take the original fuel injection and replace with a MSD configuration easy to install, no return lines, easy to configure. If anybody is interested I can send you a link to the article.
My only concern using the ls engine is the width of the front, if anybody has a measuement can they post it.

Thanks
Glenn

Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Cool

Glenn and John,

I agree!

This is my Jag and like you Glenn I dont give a crap about selling the car but if I did it would easily sell for more than what I have put into it. It is my money and and I am building what I want which is to have a car with the style and looks I want yet also to have the reliability, power and performance that will make me happy. For me owning a stock Jaguar would not make me happy as I do not like getting passed by a Prius or Honda but that is just me I am sure there are many senior citizens and others whom that does not bother them and that is fine.

This thread is about poeple interested in swaping out the stock motor and replacing it with something else if you do not agree then you should not try to impose your views to people that do not care.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi
i have my daimler mk2 down to a shell now,
and i have got a 4.2 stype,as a doner,
have done some cutting and now ready for a dry engine fit,
Dave.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DaimlerMK2
Hi
i have my daimler mk2 down to a shell now,
and i have got a 4.2 stype,as a doner,
have done some cutting and now ready for a dry engine fit,
Dave.
Great news! I just finished my test fit making sure everything cleared the hood and provided plenty of ground clearance as well. The Jag is now at the body shop to Por-15 the entire undercarriage to prevent rust since it will be a daily driver and to clean up all the minor body items. We are rolling the fenders to increase the clearances for the wide tires. Once we do that we will determine if the car needs a complete paint job or just some blending and buffing as the car is pretty straight and clean already.

Dave I would love to see pics

Old 03-12-2012, 04:58 AM
Default Start a new Thread

Hello

I would have liked to keep this thread for technical issues and knowledge transfer for those wanting to "molest" their cars.
NBCat/Primaz perhaps it would be better for you to start a new thread and then the people that want to continue this never ending discussion can do so without disrupting this thread.
Have one thread as this one for technical and knowledge transfer and
Have one thread for discussion on the why's and where for's of changing the Jaguar. (and if I am not there start without me)

Glenn

The following 2 users liked this post by glennd:
plums (10-06-2012), primaz (03-13-2012)

Quick Reply: Jaguar MKII Engine swap