MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

MK2 door seal rubbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default MK2 door seal rubbers

Hi, I bet you know whats coming.Yes I want to replace those horrible looking rubbers that may seal but dont want to let the doors close properly.
You must have some similar feelings!!!!!!!!!!.
I have seen in the uk that there are some 'Hollow' sections now available.
has anybody used them, or know some one that has?
I would be interested in knowing what there is to know!
Regards barry

Old 09-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Is that the Classic Motor Cars kit in the UK?

I believe you are talking about this kit, Door Seals | CLASSIC MOTOR CARS

Aren't you in the UK? it might be easy to call them and talk to that company. I was thinking of this as well if the door seals I purchased along with all the other rubber makes closing the doors a bit stiff. They look good based on their one picture.

I also was eyeing their kit to allow all four doors to lock with the use of either one of the front door keys so that the car locks a little more like a modern car.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:13 AM

Hi, Primaz, you make a comment relaring to VDP seats , what are they from?
Do you know what is entailed in fitting them.
The hollow seals are available in uk, I wanted to hear from anybody that has used them regarding thier use rather than just buying first.
barry

The following users liked this post:
MK2 (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Door seals

Hi Barry,
If you a discover anything about the CMC door seals I would appreciate knowing what you find out. I have thought about ordering them as well. Thanks.
Lin

Old 09-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by barrymk2
Hi, Primaz, you make a comment relaring to VDP seats , what are they from?
Do you know what is entailed in fitting them.
The hollow seals are available in uk, I wanted to hear from anybody that has used them regarding thier use rather than just buying first.
barry
Barry,

The Vadan Plas seats require you to cut the factory mounting section to lower it down, you can look at my older post about my 3.8s sleeper that shows pictures of how we cut those sections and the holes we cut to mount the seats; it is not too difficult.

Barry let us know what you find about those seals as you are a heck of a lot closer than many of us in the US whom cannot drive and talk to them

Old 09-24-2013, 01:14 AM

I will check to see what is available(2 companies so far) and make initial enquireis.
Regarding the performance, the suppiers are hardly likely to say any thing but good about thir own products. will keep you posted.
barry

Old 09-25-2013, 02:29 AM

2 types of ' Dedicated mk2' hollow rubbers available so far as I can see , although thier are a number of companies that supply hollow section rubber.
CMC say that the price of £68 ( + vat )is for a car set. Comprising .Off the roll section enough for all 4 doors incl bottom, that includes additional sections for places like the door shoulder of the A pillar.
In addion there is a company advertising on Ebay, Classic car parts, @ £87 (no vat payable) a hollow section supplied off the roll.Both have promised further info and samples.
Sounds like CMC know about the problems of mk2 seals,ie additional profiles than the latter company.
will keep you in touch.
barry

MK2 (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 AM
MK2
Default MK2 door seals

Barry,
Thanks for keeping us informed on the seals. I will look forward to another update.
Lin

Old 10-08-2013, 02:33 AM

Bit slow with samples.
There are also 3 alternative 'Soft' rubber seal available .more news soon
barry

Old 10-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Door seals

Barry

Did you ever get these doors seals from CMC and firstly was it £68 for the complete car or per door and secondly are they any good?

Raym

MK2 (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Default Door seals

Ray, I stuck to the original in the end!!!. My investigations indicated that the so called hollow rubber seal , were hollow, but were only made of a single profile. If you look at the original you will see that they are made up of different profiles depending on where they fit. Around the shoulders of the B pillar for instance. In addition, they where joined at different angles to one another,once again at the B pillar. Joining different profiles together in theory at least could be complicated.
Its not to say all, but the original rubbers that I saw were all of the same softnes/flexibility.
So it would have been a case of fitting a rubber , of a different profile, and not knowing if they actually work. As you may be aware , most modern door rubbers are of a hollow type. Those again that I have seen have the same profile all around the door.
I dont know how you would bond the pieces together as I dont think those adhesives generally available would suffice. The originals look like they have been welded with a solvent!!
Its a case of paying your money and taking your choice I suppose.
What have information have you re the subject.
barry
PS just found an add on Ebay for 'MK2 soft door rubbers £175' by jumpinjag

Last edited by barrymk2; 10-01-2014 at 11:21 AM.
MK2 (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 07:27 PM
MK2

Ray,
I ordered the seals from CMC; however, I am a long way from telling you whether they were a good choice, as I don't think I will be at the point of putting them on the car for at least a year.

The price is for both doors. The seal comes in a couple of very long strips. Nothing is cut to fit. It is very pliable and the pleasant surprise was that the seal has an adhesive backing covered with a plastic film to be removed when applied. I really like that feature! Nothing I want to do less on a new paint job than to be putting a bunch of black silicone sealer on the car. I am sure it will require some silicone, but this adhesive backing seems to be quite strong. If it works this is a real positive feature in my book.

It is smaller diameter than the original seal.

Sorry that I cannot be more definitive about the product as a good solution. I am not one for waisting money, but relative to what everything else costs on this restoration I figured this would be a small price to pay to check it out.

Lin

JPG (10-01-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 03:14 AM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Just contacted CMC and they confirm it is for all four door seals and also they fitted this to the Ian Callum MK2 jag they have just completed and what a stunner that is. Well if it is good enough for Jaguar's current Chief Designer then it should be good enough for me!!!!!!

I am probably ready in a couple of months so will let you know results.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:18 AM
MK2

Sorry. I said in my earlier posts that the seal was for both doors. What I meant to say was front and rear doors, or as Ray states below, there is enough material for all four doors.
Lin