MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Mk2 Under engine Aero

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 11:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mk2 Under engine Aero

Now that my new motor is in I'm trying to really perfect the details around it to ensure proper cooling and stress free driving.

I'm going to be making a scoop under the front bumper to push fresh air up under the fender where my air cleaner is. Going to be making a plate to cover the access hole at the base of the grill. And open up the triangles.

My next question is some kind of chin ... I've seen rumblings on various forums of air dams. I'd love to know if anyone has an idea what the ideal application is. Is it to move air under the car to suck out the hot air or to direct it up towards the motor from underneath and create movement?

Thanks

Old 08-23-2017, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Take a look at Primaz's thread, he made a scoop for his, looks great and he says it works really well.

I'm sure he will post a reference or pictures here for you.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by TilleyJon
Take a look at Primaz's thread, he made a scoop for his, looks great and he says it works really well.

I'm sure he will post a reference or pictures here for you.

Jon & Don,

Here you go, this works well as it can cool my 450HP aluminum block V8 with headers and air conditioning with no problems. You can contact Market Auto in San Jose, CA at 408 292 9888 or themarket9898@sbcglobal.net as they might fab it for you and send it to you.

Attached Thumbnails Mk2 Under engine Aero-img_1214.jpg   Mk2 Under engine Aero-img_1215.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
TilleyJon (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, this looks great. I was reading on jag lovers about similar setups. Seems a few people have also done a pan between the bottom of the radiator and the crossmember, basically to run the air under the car creating low pressure which sucks air through the radiator and also sucks the heat out from the engine bay. This set up seems to do the opposite, which is to divert more air up towards the motor. I assume then the air rushes around the motor and back out the rear of the engine compartment?

Old 08-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by DonSoares
Yes, this looks great. I was reading on jag lovers about similar setups. Seems a few people have also done a pan between the bottom of the radiator and the crossmember, basically to run the air under the car creating low pressure which sucks air through the radiator and also sucks the heat out from the engine bay. This set up seems to do the opposite, which is to divert more air up towards the motor. I assume then the air rushes around the motor and back out the rear of the engine compartment?

Yes this works the best in my opinion as it scoops large amounts of air then diverts it around the engine and I have cut large triangular openings on the inner fender wells above the frame section towards the back of the engine bay so the air can easily flow out. Those holes are needed as the engine bay in these cars do not really provide good flow at all and tend to trap the air which then makes the engine bay become an oven. To me any air thru the radiator is too hot and will not solve the heat issues. I have a custom aluminum radiator which can handle this modified V8 so cooling the engine has never been an issue. The issue on these cars is venting the engine bay with cool air. Thus you need to get fresh cool air NOT going thru the radiator otherwise the engine bay does not cool off well.