MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Vapour lock MK 2 1962

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vapour lock MK 2 1962

When it is hot in Sweden(+25) My Jaguar MK 2.-62 stops due to lack of fuel.It starts again after a minute and stops again.Most probably because of a vapour lock. It has an electric SU.fuel pump just above to the fuel tank. The pipe from the tank(plastic) runs quite close to the exhaust pipes.I have now tried to isolate the pipe with aluminium foil.But what is the most probable place where the vapour lock will occur? In the engine compartment or at the rear by the exhaust pipe? I have a glass "filter" in the engine compartment and there are no signs of dirt water in the glass.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 AM

Hi, I have an '62 Mk2 as well, running in Norway, and have experienced similar problems. Especially if when running on idle for a while. The car does not stop normally, it has happened this year, though. The case is more that if running in idle for a while, when the engine is hot, I will have problems starting it if I've stopped it for a minute.

I've seen the fuel pipes going alarmingly close the exhaust pipes back there. I'm changing the existing pipes from the transparent plastic or whatever, to yellow metal alt the way. Anyway, I've changed the fuel pipe in the going from the fuel filter and out of the engine bay, with some modern rubber fuel hose, which certainly isolate better. I think you can (and maybe should) get them with braided metal protection as well?

Well, just some thoughts,

Cheers
Morten

Old 08-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by hokkew
When it is hot in Sweden(+25) My Jaguar MK 2.-62 stops due to lack of fuel.It starts again after a minute and stops again.Most probably because of a vapour lock. It has an electric SU.fuel pump just above to the fuel tank. The pipe from the tank(plastic) runs quite close to the exhaust pipes.I have now tried to isolate the pipe with aluminium foil.But what is the most probable place where the vapour lock will occur? In the engine compartment or at the rear by the exhaust pipe? I have a glass "filter" in the engine compartment and there are no signs of dirt water in the glass.
Next time it happens, open the fuel filler cap and see if you can hear a rush of air into the tank. If so check the fuel tank vents, they may well be blocked.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:11 AM
Default Vapour lock

Well I hace isolated the fuel pipe at the rear.Did not work. The filler cap is letting in air. But I talked to an owner of a MGA with SU carburettors. He told me that he occasionally had the same problem. It was due to bubbles in the fuel line in the first carburettor, blocking the fuel supply to the next carburettor. I had tried an other fuel Shell V-power wich contains lss ethanol than most regular fuels. I also have seen a thicker gasket between the inlet manifold and the engine thus preventing heat to warm the carburettors. So my next step will be to isolate the fuel line more at the rear and see if I can put on some kind of heat shield or by some way getting more fresh air cooling the carburettors. I will also see if there are any better fuel lines. I do have the experience from my Alfa that there are som really bad rubber fuel houses so I will be careful when i look for it. And do not forget that my Lucas does behave not as a Jaguar but as an old stubborn horse. When he stops he always does about 10 km from the destination just to tease me...

Old 08-15-2013, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

If you hear air rushing in when you open the filler cap then your system is drawing a vacuum in the tank.

Check the vents, the tank has to breathe. You may end up with a damaged fuel pump.