Motorsports Discuss anything to do with racing here....... F1, Drag racing, Indy 500, BTCC etc etc

Jaguar Racing Ended??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jaguar Racing Ended??

So I just learned that Jaguar has pulled-out of GT racing in ALMS. I'm so upset because the main reason I go to the Long Beach Grand Prix (April 14th, 2012) is to see the Jaguar RSR team race!! So far from what I have heard, there have been no plans to go back into racing except for the heritage racing with the C and D-Types. I'm really hoping hoping Jaguar will reconsider and enter ALMS again. Maybe even use the new F-Type as the basis for a race car. How do you guys feel about Jaguar racing? What do you want to see in the future of Jaguar racing?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I would love to see Jaguar involved in international Motor Racing, BUT they no longer have the image of manufacturers of outright sports cars or one off Formula Specials.

Have not had, since the XJR 11 / 12 / 14 group C cars stopped turning wheels.

Who, of our many members on here bought their XKR or even XKRS based on motorsport credibility. Very few I would think.

Now, change the name to Ferrari and that instantly changes the mental playing field.

It would be great to see Tata/Jaguar involved in the development of motor racing cars, but I don't see it happening myself.

So we have a strange situation where we can afford various Jaguar models, BECAUSE they are overlooked by other communities, and yet, the Jaguar may very well be superior when taking all criteria into account.

It would be nice to see Jaguar back in the fold of mainstream motor racing but I doubt that we will, even with the F Type, it will still be a niche market.

Just my garbled thoughts.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

I feel that sooner or later Jaguar has to get back into motor sports racing.

It's in their heritage and DNA.

Maybe not in the next year or two but I hope soon.

The following users liked this post:
JagManBonano (04-09-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 02:33 AM

Jaguar was synonymous with racing. However I feel these days it has become too expensive for relatively small manufactures such as Jaguar to successfully compete with the big experienced multi-nationals.
Which makes our older Jags even more prized, as they were built in an era when Jaguar was a successful racing identity.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 AM

All of you make some really good points about Jaguar in motor racing, but I still feel they should compete. Audi has dominated races, but people don't really buy Audis due to their racing credibility. As BrownRobin stated, 'It's in their heritage and DNA.' So far Tata has been changing Jaguar and taking chances with new designs and technology. Jaguar is finally starting to get recognition and is appealing to a wider audience. However, Tata is still maintaining Jaguars' roots and I think the Heritage Racing is just the start. With this in mind, I'm hoping that Tata will eventually have the money and sponsors it needs to get back into serious racing competition like it had in the 50's and the 80's. They revived the 2 seater sports car with this new F-Type so maybe greater things await in the future. A true motor sports race does not feel complete unless Jaguar is participating. The Grand Prix I'm attending this weekend will not be the same this year without the Jaguar RSR. Hopefully Jaguar will come back in a few years and show what Jaguar innovation and racing is all about.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I agree with you JagMan. I would love to see Jaguar back in the fold.

I live within driving distance of Le Mans and to see Jaguars on the circuit once again might well justify an uncomfortable camping weekend.

Couple of years after I moved here I had an XK 150 staying with me, like an idiot I didn't at the time take much notice of the heritage race plaque details.

Too much of a big grin, when flying around our empty glassy smooth roads.

The owner was a great guy, a real old school, mechanic/engineer. Sent the wives off shopping because he thought it would be more interesting to help me 'fab' a very short prop shaft for a special I was working on.

Can't complain when this type of paying guest decides to borrow an overall.

Hey please post up some pics of the GP you are going to.

If ever you are in France, visit Le Manoir des Automobiles near Redon. Take plenty of tissues to mop up the drool. (they also have a decent track, and it is in a very picturesque area for doing a spot of visiting with the other half).

The following users liked this post:
JagManBonano (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 PM

Wow, that must have been an amazing feeling driving that XK120! It is really a gorgeous car! What color was it and what year model? Yes, I might be visiting France within the next 2 years so I will look up the automobile place you recommended. Thank you for the information! I will also post the pics from the Grand Prix on here. Since Jaguar is not participating, I'll probably be supporting the Ferrari or Corvette teams lol.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

That is news. Last I heard was that Tata were behind getting Jaguar into racing more.