New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Another new member - Daimler Super-V8

Old 05-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another new member - Daimler Super-V8

I've been a follower of this forum for many years, dipping in and out for useful information so thought it was time I posted!

My name is Rick and I am a Daimlerholic.

My love affair with the marque atarted many years ago with an original 3.8 S-Type. After a long gap covering several capri's (including 2.8i) and mini Cooper S's (originals, not the BMW ones) etc. I had an RS500 Cosworth for several years and wanted to get a big comfortable 4-seater as well and always having wanted a V12 bought a series XJ12L with fuel injection.

Unfortunately the colour scheme was not to my liking (described by friends as several shades of sh?? - it was light brown with brown vinyl roof) so that went after about a year and was replaced by an XJ40 Sovereign 3.6 on which the engine eventually expired, had a replacement engine, got stolen and recovered and then the replacement engine also expired, ending a rather unhappy relationship with the XJ40. My last memory of the car was driving it down to Swallow Jaguar to be scrapped.

After a break from Jaguar ownership for a couple of years I returned with something that I really wanted - an X300 short wheelbase Daimler Double-six 6.0. Fantastic car which left really good memories. I facelifted the front lights to the clearer X308 spec and also the rear light clusters which modernised the looks. After a couple of years ownership I had a hankering for a supercharged version so duly upgraded to a second user X308 Daimler Super V8 from a main dealer. Also a car with good memories.

Finally toward the end of 2001 I was in a position to buy a new one so a deposit was placed and the old Super-V8 part exchanged. Then came the long wait for my new (still current) car - one of the last Daimler Super-V8 X308 series in metallic black with ivory leather. This also has the Brembo big brake option and 19" champagne alloys.

Delivery was specced for the following April and a suitable number plate was chosen. After the PDI and before collection, a tracker was fitted and I happened to be at tracker's headquaters at the time with a visit by the Porsche club, and got them to display the tracker location live on their big screen, got the dealer to test drive the Daimler around the block and we all watched it's live tracking data and followed it on the big screen map as a demonstration of how the system worked!

Being a member of the Jaguar enthusiasts club and a regular on the annual London-Brighton run, I arranged for the dealer to keep the car in their showroom awaiting collection for another two agonising days until the morning of London-Brighton event. My first miles driven in the car were to the event start point and then the long trip to the end at Madeira drive in Brighton. Crossing the finishing line I was interviewed (like all entrants) and asked the milage and was able to answer 'just over 100miles - not thousand' !

I bought this one to be a 'keeper' and it has now covered just over 14,000 miles from new in it's 11 years ownership. These days it only comes out of the garage to be driven 3-5 days a year and still smells new inside. I have driven several of the newer Jaguars but am happy to be in a 'time-warp' with my Daimler without all the modern stuff on it - just the 'wireless' when needed! My daily drive is a TDV8 Vogue SE which has all the toys.

I'm looking forward to contributing where I can and have just had experience of the Mongoose diagnostic interface which I bought for the Ranger Rover and Daimler - there is another post imminent in the appropriate thead!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (05-26-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,746 Likes on 12,140 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rick.

Excellent Intro. Got to see some photos of the X308.

You probably already know your way around here but if not, follow this link XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the X308 section for advice, information and to post your own contributions. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top there is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

You may also like to visit the UK Region section by following this link UK - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to find other members in this country.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 05-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Received 4,170 Likes on 3,636 Posts

welcome to the forum and great intro.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome.

There are some pictures on one of my old websites at SV8R Page 4

In fact I've got a load of pictures I took of it next to the New XJ and X350 on the Jaguar stand at the Silverstone Classic in 2009 where they showed a preview of the new XJ. You can see the clear transition between the three generations.

Remind me how I upload pictures 1200px ?

I'm getting the temptation to get it out of the garage for a drive this week now I've looked at the pictures!

JimC64 (05-26-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 12:58 PM
GGG
Received 16,746 Likes on 12,140 Posts

Rick,

It looks great. I've copied one of your pics here so everyone sees it.

Follow this link for details on posting pics:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...pictures-2418/

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Another new member - Daimler Super-V8-rick.jpg  
Stephenph (10-21-2020)
Old 05-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Wow that's one special car.

Keep it away from kerbs those 19" BBS wheels (same as the XJR100) are irreplaceable!

I'm very jealous!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:31 PM

Thanks ... got it

My X308 at Silverstone Classic 2009

Attached Thumbnails Another new member - Daimler Super-V8-d1.jpg   Another new member - Daimler Super-V8-d2.jpg   Another new member - Daimler Super-V8-d3.jpg   Another new member - Daimler Super-V8-d4.jpg  
Old 05-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rick,

Good to have you with us.
Excellent intro and a great looking car!
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

wow that's a beautiful car! Those wheels are so very nice.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................