New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

First time potential Jaguar owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time potential Jaguar owner

Folks,
Been trying to decide what the next car-move is for me. My friends accuse me of changing cars more frequently than some folks change their sheets, and it's fairly accurate.

I'm a fairly skilled shade tree mechanic, and I have an appreciation for most any kind of mechanical device, no matter the label on it - except for BMW's, but you do *NOT* want to get me started on those. Suffice it to say that company should be out of business, and all of it's products burned...

I've had about 20-some Volvos, 4 Jeeps, a Mercedes, two Dodge trucks, a Nissan, a Triumph, 3 BMWs, a VW, well...you get the idea...

I have a very boring Volvo wagon that I'd like to get rid of and replace with something more exciting to drive dynamically. I drive my '01 Dodge Ram everyday, and it's great for work. This car would only be driven a couple times a week, otherwise, sitting in the garage. A large part of it's driving duties would be to ferry my grandmother around to wherever she wants to go.

As such, I initially started looking for a larger convertible that she could get into and out of, and thought about the XK8/XKR.
Then...on Ebay the other day... there was an ad for an XJR for sale, and by gosh, it got my attention.

I love the styling of the 1990's big Jags, moreso that the XK's, but both are pretty in their own right.

I'm in debate as to what to bring home, but bring home something I will...

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, and advice are appreciated.

For me, the ideal car would be a one or two-owner car with all records, always been garaged with relatively low miles. Unlike most everything else in the stable it will stay 100% stock, and finding a good, clean, well preserved example would be ideal.

thanks!
Evan

08 Volvo XC70 36k, for sale
01 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel, 253k, daily driver
98 Volvo S90 145k, for sale
96 Jeep Cherokee, 140k, lifted 3", 31" M/T's, for sale
92 Jeep Cherokee, 208k, strictly trail rig, 32" tires and lots of mods
88 Volvo 740 wagon, 300k+, 320RWHP, sleeper...
74 Triumph TR-6, 100k, 2nd owner

Jaguar ???? next??

Old 05-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Jaguars got their curves back in 1994, having lost them in 1986, (although some people liked the squared-off look, but not me I have to say).

Starting off with the X300 curvy saloon, these had the AJ16 straight six engine, and probably the best engine Jaguar ever made, and the rest of the car was essentially the previous car underneath and inside, (the XJ40 model). There was also a 6 litre V12 made for a while. These cars were very reliable and well regarded by everybody.

Then came the V8s in 1997 with the same curves, but trouble then started as these engines proved very troublesome to their first owners due to Nikasil cylinder linings failing, and very poorly specified upper camchain tensioners. The good news is that most of the early V8s still running will have been attended to by now, and if the engine is still a Nikasil engine, then it is a survivor and unlikely to degrade anymore with the low sulfur fuel of today. Jaguar replaced a lot of engines under warranty and also changed to steel-linered engines in around 1998. Camchain tensioners are another matter for cars up to around 2001, and you really need either proof they have been fixed, or replace them youself, it is not complex or expensive.

Of course if you buy a post-2001 car you should be OK anyway. Or try an X350 like mine, now getting affordable for the chaps with first class taste and a second class income like me !!

Then of course, you can also look at the XK coupes and convertibles. These always had the V8, so the same problems occurred.

YOu need to look at the forums to see what can happen, but do bear in mind that people with problems post more than people without any. Always remember that a Jaguar is not a car you buy for economy, they were expensive new, and the parts can be expensive, although generally they are comparible to other upmarket cars. The Jaguar aftermarket suppliers are very active so once a model becomes a few years old a lot of parts seem to suddenly appear at much cheaper prices. In many cases they are from the original Jaguar suppliers.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing my reading. I'm thinking about trying to score a 2004ish XJR, the more I look around. Time will tell...

Old 05-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good advice from Fraser, I'm sure you will find a car that you like.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey ncsucarjock, welcome aboard Jaguarforums

Glad you found us and hope you enjoy the site.

Lots going on in the XJ type section and good info......I've been looking at some of the slightly older XJ's myself recently from as far back as 98/99 but would also love to go around 04.....I think I'm right in saying the tensioners were upgraded around 03/04 so it'd be a little more piece of mind.

There's some really great members / techs and advice here as well as a few laughs to be had.

Make sure you check out the relevant section for your car, any FAQ's / TSB's for info and the Off Topic section for general catch up and a few laughs. Maybe check out the Mug shot thread and add yours?

In the meantime I'll upgrade you too full forum access so youcan better view the site

Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.