New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

Hi, this appears to be a great forum. I have 2 Jags, a 2000 XKR and a 2001 XJR. Both of these were my fathers, but he passed away a few years ago.

I'm a vintage car guy, not a big fan of the new stuff, its too hard to work on. That said, I'm a huge fan of E-types, D-types and C-types as well as the others of those eras. I don't happen to have any of them however. I am an Alfa Romeo and Datsun guy however. I have a rare '69 US Spec 1750 GTV, a '59 Giulletta Sprint that will be a vintage race car, and a '69 Datsun 2000 roadster (my race car.) I do all the work on them myself. Body work to engine work.

I do need some help with the Jags however, more specifically the XKR. I will address the issues in the appropriate place.

thanks,
Will

Old 12-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome

My first 2 cars were Datsun 510's. I loved the look of those sporty boxes. As a kid I was in love with C and D types and Le Mans. I have often thought of buying a GTV vintage racer as the only thing more expensive than car racing is car racing with a Jaguar

Hope to see you around Will.

~Barry

Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Hello, you can check out FAQs in model forums so that you can learn things in a comprehensible way or pop ou questions

Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 AM

At this point, what I really need is a part # for what I think is a bleed tube that runs from the coolant resovoir up to what I thought was the intake plenum (obviously not unless they run coolant along with the air, but in a separate part of the casting. This piece has a funny fitting where it makes a 90 degree bend and attaches to the casting. I'll shoot a picture to clarify later.)

The car has a noisy supercharger. I was hoping to change the oil in the supercharger to see if that helps. I really don't want to do a nose bearing fix. It could also be the coupling between the belt drive shaft and the blower itself. I can't seem to find the correct size allen wrench to remove the plug. I've tried both SAE and metric but nothing seems to fit.

Will

Old 12-03-2010, 10:14 AM

Hi Will,

I'm also an Alfa guy. You may even know of me from the AlfaBB or from AROC USA. Welcome to the site. It has lots of great info.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum, for your tech questions post into the XK section.

You might also find this file interesting. Parts File 1. from the XK8 FAQ

Old 12-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  19.3 KB]

Hey will welcome aboard, glad you decided to join the fold
Great to have you here and hope we can help out some.....

Manually upgraded to full forum access so you can better enjoy all the sites features
Pics would be good when you can......

Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Ok, here is the piece I broke.

Due to the ease of failure (I just flexed it a tiny bit to try to fit an allen wrench on the supercharger fill plug) my guess is that this is a commonly broken part. Also, how does one get the fitting out of the metal piping? (Do these use a coolant to air intercooler?) I haven't tried to remove the fitting, it looks almost like it needs a GM style fuel filter tool.

Alex, I am on the Alfabb, I'm BlpltGTV.

Thanks,
Will

Old 12-04-2010, 11:50 AM

Since I have the pictures up, I might as well post some of the other toys. Lets go oldest to newest...

First off my '59 Alfa 750B/101.02 German market Sprint.

I have a photo album that I update as I work on this car. Its a long ways from being a driver. My ultimate goal is to build a vintage race car out of it. You can see the photo album here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1430090650

Next up is my '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster. This is my first car and hands down the most fun to drive. Its pretty much got every trick race part ever made for one of these cars. The best part is that it is fast on the track and is still street legal.

And finally the rare '69 Alfa 105.51 US spec 1750 GTV. There were only 640 of these built in '69. They are a blend of the early cars and the later cars, a transition car if you will. It has the body of the early 2 headlight step nose cars with the later 4 headlight nose of the later cars. It also has the small tail lights, floor mounted clutch and brake pedals and some unique seats that only came on the US spec '69 GTVs. I found this car in a barn 4 years ago. It had been sitting there since 1976. I had it back on the road in a month and a half.

Will

Old 12-05-2010, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Nice collection you have there, looks like fun. Thanks for sharing.

As regard the broken pipe, you will receive a better response over in the tech sections.