New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

hello hello ... xj6 owner new to jag forums

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hello hello ... xj6 owner new to jag forums

Hello all, I found the site via an ebay search for a new under hood liner. yes my 1987 xj6 III liner has not survived and I located a very clean and fancy looking liner on ebay and the seller had a link to this site. Very cool ! My first idea was going to just use dynamat sound product but Mr tbirddmnd has what I want so clean and Im placing an order tonight!

I have owned 3 xj6's over the years 81, 87, 96. Current one I have had since 1990 and it still my favorite car to date with a wonderful 95,000 miles and its nice to know that I placed nearly all of them as I was the 2nd owner with 17K when I got her. My user name is by request of my wife .... her humor as she says I look even older when Im driving my cat down the road.

Due to being a working guy, I have had the cursing pleasure of doing all my own work.... slowly. Keeping the leaks, rattles and mystery electrical gremlins at bay has been a "hobby" but I am very fond of the Jag styling and my floating ride....

I just completed upholstering the seats.... this was much harder than I ever expected. just removing the trim and sunroof was something more than special. I ended up having to cover all the trim bits as they were very brittle after removal. I was not able to even unbolt the drivers seat! I covered it in place. I will post photos soon as I am authorized via the formum. I did move slightly away from original as I added black piping into the seats and used a burl-wood like pattern for the center sections. But I am happy with the outcome.

Newest project is redoing a set of 15 slot mag style rims. A very wonderful purchase for a clean $99 for all 4 !

if anyone has tips on refinishing rims and or products used to due a very nice polish please let me know!
Thanks all! and I hope to learn first hand info on my favorite car

Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum oldman, reupholstering a seat whilst in situ has to be a first. But for your wheels head on over to the detailing section nor even the wheels/tyres section.

There have been some good threads about refinishing wheels.

The following users liked this post:
oldmancar (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hello, it's lovely to hail such handy members like you
We have other sections too, check them out

Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! Gonna head over to read up on the wheels, I hope weather gets above 30 so I can start on them.

Yea the driverseat was very difficult, I did re-use the side panels of each seat and the rest was simple tracing and adding 1/2" for "stretch". I noticed that a company on eBay sells precut and sewn seat fabric for different models of jags.

Thanks again, great web site!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

welcome oldman, we're glad to have ya! There's a bunch of DIYers on here, and tons of advice and even more opinions <-- comes w/o saying, right?

Enjoy your stay, its a staple of my daily routine now. I actually notice it when I haven't logged on in 24 hours...now that's addiction!