New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Intro

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intro

Hi, joined because owning a Jag seems to involve a lot of maintenance and this forum seems to have a lot of people who actually do work on their cars. I was beginning to equate "I did [modification here] to my car" with "I paid a guy to do [modification here] to my car" - an important distinction.

Currently own two, but chopped in a third to buy the second. Lineup looks like:
2002 X-Type 2.5 V6 (2013-2017) gone
2011 XF 3.0D S (2016-present)
2002 XK8 (about a week ago - present)

Worth pointing out straight off that the XF is currently engineless and at 75k miles and FJSH/1 previous owner I'm not exactly happy with that state of affairs.

The X Type was the most reliable (and fun) car I've ever owned, as stupid as that sounds, but there's a reason it was on the fleet for the longest of any car I've had.

My other passion is the LR part of JLR, but you people don't want to hear about that.​​​ I'll be posting in the XF section with an expletive-filled rant about a £50k product that lasts less than 6 years and the moral abhorrence of my situation, before following up with a begging sorrow-fest on how to solve it. Here's some random pictures in no real order.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Welcome.

Oops on the Diesel. S/hand "modern" diesels, no matter the brand, down here are a no no, UNLESS you have the knowledge.

Good luck.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Pace
Hi, joined because owning a Jag seems to involve a lot of maintenance and this forum seems to have a lot of people who actually do work on their cars. I was beginning to equate "I did [modification here] to my car" with "I paid a guy to do [modification here] to my car" - an important distinction...
Yes, most people in here do their own work. In fact, that's why this site exists!

I also find it rather distasteful that so many owners pay someone to do their work and then brag about the car as if it was their own talent. I mean, Really?! So you've got the cash to BUY what you want. Big Deal! Just stand up and SAY you bought all this and stop prancing around like you have some special gift!

OK, enough of that.........

I'm sorry your XF has such problems, and is giving you trouble. However, as mentioned, this place exists to help owners like you make their Jaguars purrrrr.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 11-13-2017, 11:25 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:47 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Pace
..... ​ I'll be posting in the XF section with an expletive-filled rant .....
Welcome to the forum Pace,

(I "recommend" you don't post in that style.)

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/ to the X250 forum and this one https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/ to the XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the UK & Eire Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/uk-eire-68/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 11-14-2017, 06:07 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Pace,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 11-14-2017, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,124 Likes on 790 Posts

Welcome . Good luck getting an engine. Are you in Land Rover Forums too then?

Old 11-14-2017, 06:36 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

welcome to the forum

Old 11-14-2017, 07:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcome, All.

GGG - just a joke, no expletives. I will restrain the ranting as much as I can, too.

LnrB - completely agree. I've wasted so much time on search results where people say they've done something I'm interested in, only to reveal when asked for pictures/how-to guides on the subject that it was done in at the shop. I totally accept the value of people carrying out amazing projects on their cars and there's no shame in having a checkbook on a project, but there seems to be so little DIY-material out there because of it. Talking to the independent dealer I got my XK8 from, people pay good money for things anyone should be able to do.

jerry_hoback - I am on a few but my use has died off. Since they stopped the production run on Defenders, the 'community' has morphed into something I don't identify with. If you're talking about handling or fitting a lowering kit to a Defender, you need to not own a Defender.

I'm sure the engine woes can't be worked out on the forum, but it's worth asking how others have solved it (crank shaft bearing fault, apparently well-known and hilariously destructive).

Old 11-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Received 3,805 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,124 Likes on 790 Posts

I have to agree, a lot of what goes on in the LR forum I use is based on mods and off roading. I have 2 plans for mine- 1- make it run. 2- make it presentable. Not really much beyond that as it was given to me.