New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Jaguar Wave Protocol

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Jaguar Wave Protocol

Owning my Vette came with a bunch of rules of etiquette when approaching another Vette, not the least of which was the Wave. While a Wave was always encouraged, there were always disagreements as to who would wave first (e.g., older vintage Vette versus new vintage, etc.) The forums were always filled with Wave stories, including unhappy owners that did not receive a Wave.

Is there a similar comaraderie among Jag owners? If so, is this true only within models (i.e., do XK8/XKR owners only wave to each other) or do Jag owners wave to any Jag owner, regardless of model?

Just wondering and a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Doug
Los Angeles, CA

Old 09-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Jaguar Wave Protocol

ORIGINAL: SeismicGuy

Owning my Vette came with a bunch of rules of etiquette when approaching another Vette, not the least of which was the Wave. While a Wave was always encouraged, there were always disagreements as to who would wave first (e.g., older vintage Vette versus new vintage, etc.) The forums were always filled with Wave stories, including unhappy owners that did not receive a Wave.

Is there a similar comaraderie among Jag owners? If so, is this true only within models (i.e., do XK8/XKR owners only wave to each other) or do Jag owners wave to any Jag owner, regardless of model?

Just wondering and a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Doug
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think I have ever gotten a wave..... hmmm... maybe the finger but defintely not a wave. lol

Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  6.0 KB

Lol seismic..............Jags are different buddy.
Its a snobbery thing..................never ever ever wave............just the smallest hint of eye contact and a gentle nod to acknowledge the other enthusiast...lol
Never done it myself, but heard the whisper on the grapevine, as ya do!...lol

Jim

Old 09-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: JimC64

Its a snobbery thing..................never ever ever wave............just the smallest hint of eye contact and a gentle nod to acknowledge the other enthusiast...lol

Jim
I clearly recall when I was a kid and my dad had a 1957 MG for a few years, there were always waves back and forth to other MG drivers. This also seems to be de rigueur for Vette owners.

So when driving to work today down Ventura Boulevard in my newly acquired 2005 with the top down, I spied another recent vintage XK behind me with the top down. I nervously started pondering what to do if he caught up to me. I broke out in a sweat considering the possibilities: should I look first and wave, what if he didn't wave back, what if he didn't even look, etc?

Too many decisions[sm=smiley25.gif]

Doug

Old 09-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 62
Views: 49
Views: 37

ORIGINAL: SeismicGuy

ORIGINAL: JimC64

Views: 62
Views: 49
Views: 37

Jim
I clearly recall when I was a kid and my dad had a 1957 MG for a few years, there were always waves back and forth to other MG drivers. This also seems to be de rigueur for Vette owners.

So when driving to work today down Ventura Boulevard in my newly acquired 2005 with the top down, I spied another recent vintage XK behind me with the top down. I nervously started pondering what to do if he caught up to me. I broke out in a sweat considering the possibilities: should I look first and wave, what if he didn't wave back, what if he didn't even look, etc?

Too many decisions[sm=smiley25.gif]

Doug

Aww Doug man..........you kill me....

Option 1 - either keep your eyes more or less dead ahead and just give a brief wave like its the most natural thing in the world ( all the time eyes straining to look sideways to see if he waves back
Option 2 - Do nothing and see if he waves first, then wave back
Option 3 - Just floor it and see if he wants to race
Option 4 - lol

Jim

Old 09-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Is that the reason my waves were never returned. I am always watching for other jags...x's, s's, xks and xj's. i promise it wasn't an enthusiastic back and forth like a schoolgirl wave, just a few fingers raised from the top of the wheel. We need to draft jag greeting protocols for sure. Doug, i nominate you. (again)

Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 41
Views: 39
Views: 43
Views: 42

ORIGINAL: h20boy
just a few fingers raised from the top of the wheel.
You got it h20boy.....perfect...lol

Just a very casual acknowledgemnt

Jim

Old 09-25-2008, 10:28 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've gotten a few of these while in my Hummer...Name:  finger.gif
Views: 44
Size:  5.5 KB

Old 09-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

I'm very surprised to hear that waves are not the thing with fellow Jag owners, especially between owners of common models. I sort of understood that owners of sports-type cars in particular practiced this sort of camaraderie. I did not realize that this was primarily a Corvette thing (do a google search on 'save the wave').

Here in SoCal XK8/XKR cars are fairly rare compared with the plethora of Porsche and BMW on the road but I still regularly see a decent amount of the Jags. I'll take it upon myself to wave when I spot one and then see what happens.

Doug

Old 09-26-2008, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I haven't waved any Jag as of yet and I don't think it would be necessary aside from if I come across a Mark Series

Old 09-26-2008, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm . . . don't see many Jags in Grand Rapids area . . seen only about 2 or 3 others around the circuit . .

Old 09-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I waved at a old lady in a x-type sport this morning but she was hating on my S-type R.

She was probably thinking... "that damn young punk took his parents car to work today..." Several people have asked it it really is my car at shows... I pull out the title then re-iterate the fact that education is a helluva thing....lolz

Old 09-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Heres what I've seen here in the South. Early Series I, II, & III sedans greet each other, knowing they've got the best looking early sedans on the road. Same for XJS drivers! Now, at the risk of offending anyone, with apologies up front if I do. Drivers of later S and X models seem oblivious of any other Jaguars in the area. Course, around here, most of them are driven by ladies that only know how to drive them, instead of appreciate them. In that case, I use the posture suggested in earlier posts, very casual.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

It looks like I started something but I am also discovering that I need to bone up on Jag history if I truly want to be a Jag owner. For example I do not know what a Mark Series is or what Series I, II, III etc. sedans are. I guess I have not really paid attention much in terms of being able to identify models except for the more recent S-types and X-types and the larger XJ types, as well as the XK8/XKR models since the late 1990s.

Doug

Old 09-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: MidGaSTR

I waved at a old lady in a x-type sport this morning but she was hating on my S-type R.

She was probably thinking... "that damn young punk took his parents car to work today..." Several people have asked it it really is my car at shows... I pull out the title then re-iterate the fact that education is a helluva thing....lolz
YES, I HATE THIS! lol they think because youre young, successful and have a nice car its 1) your parents 2) you do illegal business activities 3) youre an a$$h*le ( the 3rd might be true sometimes )

this happends to be easy to solve since my initials are on my license plate. i did that because i wanted to though so F-the haters lol

as for the wave goes: this afternoon i happend to see another S type R in black, of course a very rare site, maybe see one a month. i usualy drive with my left hand at 12 oclock on the steering wheel so i do the wave with that hand while still on the wheel routine. i did try to give another s type r owner also in black the thumbs up while passing him a few months ago down in tampa and he didnt even seem to notice, what a jerk! i figured he was prob jealous mine looked 10 times better then his and a youngin was driving it

other jaguars: if the car looks very clean and well taken care of, is old, or has some very nice mods on it ill def give them the thumbs up

Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

In my XJ noting seems to happen. In my XK, I usually get/return a head light flash or a quick hand up and down.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love that type of camaraderie, but a wise man from Texas once said you cant swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Jag. There are just too many of them, Id be waving all day. Not only that, but unfortunately most of the drivers are oblivious to the significance of being a Jaguar owner. Then there are the stuck up XK owners (no offense intended, not everyone is the same), they know the significance of elitism all too well. I wont act like that when I get mine.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wave or flash-to-pass the headlamps at all Jags.
MOST "newer" Jag owners APPEAR to think they are just driving another car.
No freaking idea of "heritage".

Of course, I get waved at by all sorts of non-Jag drivers, too.

Mark 2 is 1959-1967, 240 and 340 until about 1969.
The earlier small sedans were 55-58, later referred to as "Mark 1", but that was never the true identifier.

Here is a Mark 2, and RHD (looks better now than the photo)

Like, peeling paint on LF wing fixed, dent above L Lucas Fogranger gone, etc.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: queenmb

I would love that type of camaraderie, but a wise man from Texas once said you cant swing a dead cat around here without hitting a Jag. There are just too many of them, Id be waving all day. Not only that, but unfortunately most of the drivers are oblivious of the significance of being a Jaguar owner. Then there are the stuck up XK owners (no offense intended, not everyone is the same), they know the significance all too well. I wont act like that when I get mine.
When I was researching before buying, I sort of got the impression that Florida and Texas were the big Jag places. Here in SoCal there are a pretty good amount of Jag sedans but you don't see as many XK cars compared to Porsche and BMW, which you see by the 1000s.

Doug

Old 09-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: Curmudgeon

I wave or flash-to-pass the headlamps at all Jags.
MOST "newer" Jag owners APPEAR to think they are just driving another car.
No freaking idea of "heritage".

Of course, I get waved at by all sorts of non-Jag drivers, too.

Mark 2 is 1959-1967, 240 and 340 until about 1969.
The earlier small sedans were 55-58, later referred to as "Mark 1", but that was never the true identifier.

Here is a Mark 2, and RHD (looks better now than the photo)

Like, peeling paint on LF wing fixed, dent above L Lucas Fogranger gone, etc.
That's a gorgeous car. The reason I did not know the designations is that I have not seen many of that vintage in recent years, at least not in southern California. I do recall admiring those Jaguar sedans as a kid though.

Doug

Quick Reply: Jaguar Wave Protocol