New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to the Forums but not to Jags

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New to the Forums but not to Jags

Hi Everone from Sothern Ontario, Canada. I normally do not post on sites but as a Jaguar Master tech of 40 Yrs I may be of some help to keep Jaguars alive and well.
I recently purchased a 98 VDP with a cooked engine, i have totaly overhauled the engine complete with cast iron cylinder liners and it runs great.

The following users liked this post:
XJRJeff (12-12-2010)
Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey there, welcome to the forum. I just joined today as well and am actually looking for advice. I have 99 VDP with a cooked engine as well. I was looking for info on whether it is worth fixing. My problem is mostly the fact that I do not have access to the necessary tools to do this job. I have made a couple of tools so far and I have the intake manifold off, the valve covers, I have the exhaust manifolds loose and ready to come off. My next stumbling block is the crankshaft pulley removal. I have stopped here due to lack of time and wanted to get more info before I get too much deeper into pulling the motor apart. Have quite a few pictures of my progress, however cannot post on here yet as I am a junior member yet. Appreciate any input you have on the matter. Yours in motoring.
Jeff L.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Welcome, Quiet. It's always nice to see a fellow Canadian on the site. Jag techs are particularly welcome as well. Enjoy the stay. Did you get caught in that big dump of snow last week?

Quiet (12-13-2010)
Old 12-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

welcome Quiet. Are you currently plying your trade? May be a few folks around your area that will want to personally get your advice.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Welcome to the forum Quiet.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Hello, welcome , glad you will have your kity purrrrr

Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the forum quiet, good to have you here with us Jag techs are particularly welcomed and revered around here!
I hope you enjoy the site!

Some great guys / members and top notch techs here too, usually plenty going on and some laughs to be had in the off topic section as well....all good.

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view all the sites features
+1 for you too on that XJRJeff

Old 12-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Default You never get away from what you love.

Originally Posted by mohrd
welcome Quiet. Are you currently plying your trade? May be a few folks around your area that will want to personally get your advice.
So I guess the answer is yes.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Default Parts are not cheap

Originally Posted by XJRJeff
Hey there, welcome to the forum. I just joined today as well and am actually looking for advice. I have 99 VDP with a cooked engine as well. I was looking for info on whether it is worth fixing. My problem is mostly the fact that I do not have access to the necessary tools to do this job. I have made a couple of tools so far and I have the intake manifold off, the valve covers, I have the exhaust manifolds loose and ready to come off. My next stumbling block is the crankshaft pulley removal. I have stopped here due to lack of time and wanted to get more info before I get too much deeper into pulling the motor apart. Have quite a few pictures of my progress, however cannot post on here yet as I am a junior member yet. Appreciate any input you have on the matter. Yours in motoring.
Jeff L.
Getting the Crank pulley off : Lossen bolt- use a soft faced hammer and give the pulley a good smack.
Be prepaired to go all the way, I have spent over $4000.00 on parts and machine shop. I did the work.

XJRJeff (12-16-2010)
Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Default Snow,

Originally Posted by avt007
Welcome, Quiet. It's always nice to see a fellow Canadian on the site. Jag techs are particularly welcome as well. Enjoy the stay. Did you get caught in that big dump of snow last week?
No here in Niagara we where spared.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Welcome Quiet,

Glad to hear that you got the Jag purring again.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to he forum Quiet, now dive into the tech sections and make some noise. LOL

People with your experience are very welcome around here.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Quiet
Getting the Crank pulley off : Lossen bolt- use a soft faced hammer and give the pulley a good smack.
Be prepaired to go all the way, I have spent over $4000.00 on parts and machine shop. I did the work.
How badly cooked was your 98? Mine was hot enough to melt the knock sensors on the motor. Apparently the top radiator hose came off and it was driven until it would not go any further. Do you think that this has cracked the head? I know the head gasket is at least gone. I am getting very low compression on all cylinders and I pulled all the spark plugs and turned it over and it shot coolant out from the spark plug passages. I am guessing that if the head has warped or cracked that it may just not be worth putting the money into this motor. Appreciate your expertise on the matter.

thanks Jeff

Old 12-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Default posting in the XJ tech forum

Hey Quiet and others interested. I have added a post in the XJ tech forum about the my engine saga. If you would like to add your replies there it would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:21 AM

Hay Jeff, sound like that you could have an issue with Nikosil and Collapsed rings like my engine had. Also if it melted the knock sensor the the heads and block will be warped and will need machining. This is what I did to mine as well heads planed and the deck of the block planed. Have real good look at the cylinders to ensure the coating is not cracked , flaked off or scoured. This is why I had steel liners installed.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Ok well this sounds alot more promising than I was thinking. I was figuring that there was no amount of machine work that would get this engine back together again. I am guessing that the head gasket kits come in different sizes to compensate for the material removed from machining, or is it not that significant that there is compensation needed. These aluminum engines are all new to me. This would be the first one that I have torn down. I am used to cast blocks and engines, this is a little farther away from home for me. However I am enjoying the trip.