New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Jag owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New Jag owner

Hi everyone,
I have looked around the net and found this forum showing all the answers to everything I have encountered with my new purchase.

I am severely disabled with slight brain damage and slight memory problems due to a serious RTA in may 2012.
I have been medically retired early as I'm only 51 but don't think for one minute I'm over the hill and past it yet.
I have a severe stubbornness inside that drives me to do things the docs prefer I do not and it is paying off.
It took a few years but late last year I was able to pass my driving test at 50 years old.
Owing to the seriousness of my accident I have to do a lot of body rehab and brain testing and finally got my licence back, even though it meant my entire life's driving was wiped off the records and I have to start at the bottom of being a new driver once again after nearly three months of intensive driving and re-learning. I am pushing on with severe determination as I intend enjoying every day now as it comes.

I looked around the UK for a good used and honest Jaguar.
I started looking at the X-type, then saw the S-type then started looking for even more comfort and ease of driving.
This brought me to the newer range all alloy x350 2003-2009 range.
My carers reckon I took months to decide but I think only a couple of weeks was really the real time I put in and now I own a beautiful XJ6 2004 model 3.0L v6 in Slate grey Mica and full black leather interior in absolute mint condition.

I have a lot of trades and professions since I left school and a lot of university time in lecturing but now I struggle to even know the difference of times of day or day of week we are in and have lost concept of any significance of such things.
I can draw on all past knowledge most times but lost the ability to learn mostly anything new now so life is lets say weird.
I can only communicate on a one-to-one basis and this is dodgy at best.

I decided on looking for a car that was 100% perfect inside and out visually, as body work and swapping out interiors etc., is not on my to do list.
I was looking for anything under 50,000 miles and under £10,500 with entire and full jaguar service history.
This price I'd drop as I start looking.

I took a chance at £5800 on one advertised for £8500 with some jaguar original service history and some independent work. I spotted a couple of faults that quite simply involve removing one part for a new part and job done. (wear and tear like any other car will also show). The engine and box are so sweet you would think they had just rolled off the factory line and I pushed this car very hard on the test drive and even the owner said he never knew the car could do what I did with him sitting in the passenger seat.
56,000 miles was at the far end of what I wanted but as soon as I drove the car I knew it was as honest as described.
I knew what to look for gremlin wise as I have read this forum posts for a long time now so thank-you everyone who has gone before me as your information has steered me to a very nice car with superficial faults only, that will be simple to sort out.
This car is the bottom base model x350 but I am still happy and pleased with such a beautiful and comfortable ride and look forward to everyone's help here to get my car up to a showroom classic.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:13 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Welcome to the forum oldish git,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Congratulations on getting your licence back. That must have taken a huge amount of determination and perseverance.

I can see you've already found your way to the X350 forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the UK & Eire Region forum by following this link UK & Eire - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
oldish git (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,934 Likes on 5,284 Posts

It's not well published, but Stubbornness is a requirement for Jaguar ownership. Many new owners discover this too late, which is part of why Jaguar got such a bad reputation in decades past. As you have come to ownership of a Jaguar already equipped with an abundance of stubbornness, you'll get on Just Fine with your car!

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

oldish git (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 05:59 PM
Received 3,804 Likes on 2,784 Posts

Welcome aboard.

oldish git (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

oldish git (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 07:51 PM
Received 10,290 Likes on 6,810 Posts

Welcome.

GOOD ON YA.

I also did similar in 1993 after a horror accident in Papua New Guinea. Took 12 months to walk again, etc etc. Now 66, and arthritis in all the damaged joints (that is nearly all of them) is trying me again.

Stubborn is good, sense of humour is mandatory.

Pressed the wrong buton again.

I had the attitude that I would do what I wanted to do, NOT what they said I could do. Worked for me.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 03-27-2016 at 07:53 PM.
oldish git (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Welcome.

GOOD ON YA.

I also did similar in 1993 after a horror accident in Papua New Guinea. Took 12 months to walk again, etc etc. Now 66, and arthritis in all the damaged joints (that is nearly all of them) is trying me again.

Stubborn is good, sense of humour is mandatory.

Pressed the wrong buton again.

I had the attitude that I would do what I wanted to do, NOT what they said I could do. Worked for me.

I know how you feel and what you must go through, ouch. Thanks for the thumbs up

Old 03-27-2016, 08:51 PM
Default Thank-you everyone

I never expected so much people coming to my post and saying hello and welcome from around the world.
I will take a while to say hello but I will say thank-you everyone for such a welcome on here.

So glad I bought my first Jaguar and very happy with the colour, both inside and outside. It took me a while to track down a black leather one with not too many miles on the entire car and when I post images of the car you will see the interior is still like new. Not a crease or mark in the leather anywhere. No warn out or marked buttons or dials or switches.

I was very fussy with what I would accept as to condition and this narrowed down a lot of these X350's out there.
I want something that will give me 50-100k easy motoring that will do me for a few years.
I was not bothered for engine size as all are well able to cope with what-ever Jaguar put up front as I knew the chassis and body are light for such a big cat. ( since my accident no need to go at F1 speed)

I saw this Slate Grey Mica advertised and instantly took a shine to the colour as it is so understated and yet not dark or light. This is after some weeks of checking every single colour out there and interior combination. The interior is black leather so after test drive I knocked price severely as pointed out to owner the P/S (RHD Model) air shock is showing signs of seepage which quite frankly is an instant MOT failure and cost approx. £1000 per side. Best to replace both.
I also preferred automatic and know what these boxes and other makers are like to use under load. They should go up and down, as quick as you can hit the accelerator and this car on the test drive felt like a brand new box with sublime and ultra-smooth changing, down two gears at once if needed, coupled with a silky smooth and responsive engine with-out a glitch or stutter.
She does not have the big roar of the V8 or V12 but in her own way she has a little tame roar.

clivee (10-06-2021)
Old 03-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Welcome! Congratulations on working so diligently to put yourself back in the driver's seat! My wife was felled nine years ago by a massive stroke at age 46 and can no longer drive. Her biggest regret about it is that she had finally achieved her dream car: a red Jaguar X-Type which we had purchased new in 2004. She was so distraught over not being able to drive that she insisted we sell the car. Just recently we entered into Jaguar ownership for a second time with a Lunar Grey 2011 XJL Supercharged with Jet interior; essentially the same basic color combination as yours... not too dark, not too light. Hope you'll enjoy your XJ6 as much as we are enjoying our XJL.
Dwayne

The following 2 users liked this post by dga57:
clivee (10-06-2021), oldish git (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 02:15 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the hard work to regain your licence.
Enjoy your Jaguar.

oldish git (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 05:21 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

welcome to the forum - congrats on your efforts to regain your license and getting the Jag - enjoy!

oldish git (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums oldish git,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

oldish git (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by dga57
Welcome! My wife was felled nine years ago by a massive stroke at age 46 and can no longer drive. Her biggest regret about it is that she had finally achieved her dream car: a red Jaguar X-Type which we had purchased new in 2004.
Dwayne
This touched a nerve as I was so near not being able to do the test safely.
I feel sorry for your other half as the torment of it must be horrible.
I'm not out of the woods yet and have a lot of weird things in place to help me.
I have carers every day so still pretty weird this end. I need help to get dressed, can't turn my neck very much, basically can't move my head, so I turn my whole body at once. I have a horrible nerve problem that if I tilt or move my head too much I actually get dizzy and fall over and this has taken a lot of getting used to.
I still need help getting out of cars but sit me in a seat and I'm off.
I used 2 tanks of petrol trying to get home with the car from London.
I need constant prompting to do things that most people do without thinking. Not an easy one to get to grips with.
My carers said I went missing for 7 hours, I was trying to drive home from London to here.
It was help from my friend and two carers who phoned me to guide me back home as I seemed to be just driving for the sake of driving.
I remember I saw a lot of planes and went round heathrow airport a few times so this was nice.
I have had to ask the police to help me home before when I've gone wandering on my own but they are brilliant about it and have never given me a hard time over it. I now have a bracelet with my address on it.
I am sort of on there route so at times I have a couple of young ones in patrol cars that pop in and see how I'm doing as they seem to know I'm on my own once my carers leave.
I have retreated to the sticks as I find it easier to think and try to do things.
Inside a car it is great as all noise is shut out if I want.
Flowing traffic is not a problem and never has been since the accident.
It's like I go into some sort of automatic mode and it just happens flawlessly.
I have a few things I am meant to wear everywhere I go but I forget so it gets a bit weird not being able to tell someone your address and I notice people are sometimes scared of people with brain problems like I have and shy away from helping as they don't know how to deal with it.
I try to walk very slowly so people only think I'm just a very slow mover, this way you can hardly notice I have balance problems and a limp.
I have some sort of compression on my neck that causes nerves to do funny things like make me fall over, or partially pass-out. Hence I do not move my head like an owl anymore and this cures the nerve problem.
My awareness is very sharp somehow and yet I have cognitive functioning problems?????
I'll be laid up for a couple of days if I go any distance but I seriously do-not care and this sheer pushing myself is what makes it all fun once again.

I have done a lot of wildlife photography since I moved here (out my kitchen windows) and have some amazing families of birds I have watched since the accident in 2012. we're now in 2014 so two years is a long time to have seen my birds have babies and come back. I have some beautiful birds of prey and a family of barn owls less than 100 yards from my rear kitchen window, three babies, mum and dad, and to watch them hunt and fly is so majestic. I'll post some images of them as this is one thing I found I can almost do as good as before; photography.