New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to Jags but not to working on vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Jags but not to working on vehicles

Hello. I'm new to Jags, but fairly knowledgeable to working on vehicles. I'm a little stumped on this one however. I have an 07 Jag S type 3.0 that I recently purchased. Test drive went fine. Took for long enough to get to running temp while doing low and high load. No hesitation, no lights, slight burning smell (guy recently replaced both cats), and was very nice overall. Wasn't driven between test drive and purchase (just couple days). He also had put new battery in it. Wasn't much gas, so put enough to get home (drive that took about 55 miles). Drive went fine. Sat couple days. Drove around for some errands and filled tank. Drove fine till after filled up. Started hesitating by time got home (about 5 miles) and started flashing engine light and another yellow light with info saying "restricted performance". I've limited running it to try to diagnose it. OBDII gives 2 codes. One is misfire cylinder 5 (P0305) and other is misfire on start up under 1k rpm (forgot number). I've added "Heet" with injector cleaner in case had moisture from sitting, anti ethanol additive, and octane booster (since calls for 91 or higher octane, but filled with 89 octane). Has yet to run right. Lights and message will go off after erase codes and will stay off, come on when try accelerate, go off while steady speed, not come on when restart, and come on when restart. The only sure thing is that the engine light will come on and the other light, and message, comes and goes. I have tools but no "shop" tools/instruments. Sorry for the long post... Please help!

Old 01-19-2019, 06:13 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Welcome.

That question etc should be asked in teh S Type Tech Section. MANY more members will see it and respond, as only a few members come in here.

My "guess" is that since it happened after fuel top up, is the fuel cap seated correctly, coz that WILL bring on the check engine light.

Battery, I know it NEW, but is of teh correct spec, and oomph, these cars a juice hungry, and a dud?? battery will reek havoc.

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:41 PM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:51 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum Richard,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

My first suspect would be the "new" battery but until you have the codes read, it's all going to be speculation.

Follow this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ed-v8-x200-15/ to the S-Type forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 01-19-2019, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Welcome.

That question etc should be asked in teh S Type Tech Section. MANY more members will see it and respond, as only a few members come in here.

My "guess" is that since it happened after fuel top up, is the fuel cap seated correctly, coz that WILL bring on the check engine light.

Battery, I know it NEW, but is of teh correct spec, and oomph, these cars a juice hungry, and a dud?? battery will reek havoc.

Good luck.
Yes it was seated correctly and tightened correctly. Battery was checked and is correct specs and is fully charged, no recharging issues, and no dead or dying cells. I'll post in the other forum, ty.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Hello, Richard,
Congratulations on your new Jaguar!
As you have discovered, Jaguars are a bit temperamental about some things. That's because, of all cars on the road today, they have a quality of Soul. Get on its good side, it will run nearly forever. Get on its bad side, and ownership will merely Seem like forever.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 01-20-2019, 03:32 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Richard,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 01-20-2019, 08:37 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 01-20-2019, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 607 Likes on 476 Posts

From one S-type owner to another... Welcome. The S-type forum is populated with a very friendly group and contains a wealth of knowledge. Enjoy!