New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New from md

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from md

Hi everyone,
My name is matt. i joined this forum, partially for my grandfather who own a 1985(im pretty sure thats the year) series 3 xj12. This car has several issue with it though. The car was in a flood, the waters car up midway on the door panels. IM not sure how much damage has been done to it in regards to wiring, fuel dealivery, and motor. THis weekend we are going to try to crank her over and see what happens. I do know alot of the wiring is bad since the turn signals dont work(maybe a bulb), the stock radio is dead, and the drivers side rear windows does not work. Thats the history on the car. hope this forum provides a great deal of info on the car=)

Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, I think I would not buy a car in a flood but anyway if you need any help our tech guys and Jaguar Gurus will gladly help you out

Old 02-26-2010, 11:40 AM

he bought it before the flood hit, he had it for two years when it got flooded

Old 02-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Welcome and, may I say, you have great taste in cars.

The condition of the car will depend on how long it was submerged, what was done to preserve it afterwards and how long ago it happened. A quick bath followed by a propper clean-up wouldn't hurt much, but, a month below water and left soggy and its value as a boat anchor would be questionable!

Before you try cranking it over do some basic maintenance first. Drain the fuel tanks (super easy on these cars), change the oil and passibly change the cap, wires and plugs (yikes if you haven't done that one yet!). The transmission should be serviced the same way, along with the rear end. The wiring is less of a concern unless it was submerged for a long time. How does the interior look?

Some of us 'nuts' have enough spare parts to build another car, so, you shouldn't worry about the little things. Just get it running first and go from there.

Good luck!

Tim

Old 02-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome Matt, apart form the obvious oil checks/change. When you first try to crank the car do it with the plugs out.

Crank an engine with the bores full of water and you risk blowing it to bits. Also this will give you some chance of getting some oil into the bearings. Just don't look down the plug holes when you spin it over.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 PM

thank-you all for such quick responses i am already likeing this forum, IDK how long it was submerged, or what entirely was done with it afterwards. I know he took it to a shop and they ripped him off chargin over 4000 dollars for changing a few parts, the car proceeded then to have issue of no starts amoung others. But i am not sure if this was before or after the flood. i will do some of this maintenace this weekend. Ill post some pics of it later, if i have the time. The car is at my grandfathers, i will try to get to it after i install the cat-back on my car(2000 mitsubishi Galant).

Old 02-26-2010, 12:27 PM

the interior is pretty beaten on it, but im sure with some leather conditioner, pledge, and plastic cleaner it would be looking fresh. Oh btw the car is blue(not sure the technical name) with white leather interior

Old 02-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi MGR you really need to post over in the XJ6/12 section. There are some very knowledgeable people with your V12 over there.

Also for your interior or paint work have a look at the Detailing section, and Interior section, we have our own Pro Detailer giving some great advice.

And if you can give the Trim ID code, you'll probably get a name for it.

Cheers,

Old 02-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy Matt

Welcome to the forum!

Old 02-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

welcome to the forums matt.
good luck with your grandads car,it will be well worth it to get that baby back on the road :}

Old 02-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,844 Likes on 3,160 Posts

Matt, welcome to the forums. What part of MD are you in? I'm down south in California/Great Mills area. If you are down that way and need someone with wiring background along with some mechanical background, let me know. I have been working on cars for way too long. I would be more than willing to give you a hand with a project like this.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:36 PM

im up in prince fredrick, th car is going to be towed down here for our local mechanic to work on it, Honestly the car needs a whole new wiring harness it ridiculous, i could type a story on whats wrong with the wiring in the car and the car itself, I really want this car to be running , i absoulutley love it, but theres just alot wrong with it.