New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New member looking for full access

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New member looking for full access

Long notes but U Jag lovers will appreciate this, I hopeI've started two threads and begun to fill my garage but I can't get my pictures posted. It all began here upon my purchase of a 1998 XJ8 last week. This has all gone very well and I appreciate this forum!!!. I was mainly concerned about all of the posts regarding secondary timing chain tensioners and the wrath of ingoring that! I thought maybe she'd already jumped the spocket. I pulled it all apart and found the sencondaries had new style (metal) tensioners. Drivers side primary was tight, Pass. side primary....well... just a little loose, I admit. I couldn't get the damned crank bolt loose without pulling the A/C apart to get the radiator out. SOOOO with 2 hours invested I thought: Put it back together and see what happens I was able to get my 4.0 cranking (with compression) with info on adding 1 tsp of oil to each cylinder. The car had been in storage since 2008. With the help of all who posted I found out how to get compression....blows my mind how adding oil to the cylinders would make such a big difference. Then....funny.... I got 'er runnin' on ether but with a lot of valve clatter. But she wasn't fully resussitated. We blew up the airbox and intake tube with an unexpected backfire that sent plastic flying. There was a lot of flame and excitement!!!! WoooHooo! That replacement part was found on Ebay for $US40 plus shipping($US25).....Now realize Boys.... I've invested $US2100 in this baby. I figured she needed a complete powerplant replacement. So I'm still ahead on this game. However She showed all symptoms of a fuel pump replacement. I checked fuses, relays, power at the plug and bought the (cheap)$US110 Airtex pump at AutoZone. Poof!!! a running Jag! Do I need to mention that dropping the suspension is necessary for US burly revolutionaries. Yes, if you want to save some time 10 bolts allows plenty of room to get those big A#@ arms in there and dissconnect those "well placed" fuel lines.. Soooooooo
Off to the Freeway!!!!!! (Actually I've done a lot of idling, 1500RPM idling, "shunt" runs (short distance driving) and a few spurts on the highway, but no WOT yet. I'm nervous about that) Got me and my gal into this beauty and headed for the open road Hit 110MPH pretty quick at WOT !!!!!!
SMOOOOOOOOTH BABY!!! Probably beats my '85 Corvette in 0-100MPH
Soooo. still have valve clatter at idle only when cold (or passenger's side primary chain tensioner clatter only when cold) if I had to differentiate, I'd say it's coming from that nasty pass. side primary chain.....DAMMMM !!!
Iguess I gotta pull it apart again AND disco the A/C (that works perfectly, blows cold as a witches titty!!!) to get the radiator out. Question is.... Is there another way to get this bitch crank pulley bolt loose besides pulling the radiator and using an air impact??? AND stupid as it sounds it's lefty lucy right??? When we had 'er apart the first time I put all of me to the left (w/ a chain stop against the pulley) and couldn't break it loose??WTF?,,,AND I've heard the FORD tensioners are better HELLO???? Well I guess....I'm steadfast FORD fan and my pullin' truck IS a FORD.You should 'a' seen this baby when i pulled it outtta storage (W/ MY FORD P/U) absolutely 1/4 inch dust all over but she IS a BEAUTY in & out OOOOOH!!!&*&&*()))*&^ SUPPLE INSIDE & SWEET like most good girls......Help me out fellas....I need to get this crank pulley off!!!!

(Moderator) Is this too risky? riskee? or whatever?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm hoping I'm just the kind of guy that deserves to post his garage?(with good graphics) in this forum. I'm talking about my cars ...not my gurls...LET ME IN...PLEASE!!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you with us.
An interesting intro to be sure, I see you have posted in the tech sections so I hope you will get your answers there.
As for the upgrade, you need the admin for that so you'll need to wait until he shows up.

You should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey n welcome aboard Jaguarforums, good to have you here with us ....

There really are some amazing and friendly guys here....you're in really good company to discuss anything Jag related or even just to have a few laughs!

A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features so jump on in and enjoy

Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Welcome to the site! Glad to hear of your success and hope to hear more.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Some advice froma guy with the same car- never, ever, start the car from cold and shut it off before it warms up fully. Tell everyone else in your household too. My son moved mine out of the driveway without telling me and it would not start afterward, classic cylinder wash. Other than that it's a great car. Enjoy.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the Forum. You will find a wealth of information here. Jags can be frustrating while also being extremely rewarding. This site will help you with those frustrating times.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Not sure what a simpler way is to take of the pulley, I bought the jaguar tools (expensive though, but over time worth it), and then it will be easy to take the bolt off/on (without removing the radiator).