New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member - Ottawa Canada (X-Type/E-Type)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Member - Ottawa Canada (X-Type/E-Type)

Hi All;

I'm a new member to the Forum. I am a member at JCNA and a member in the Ottawa Jag Club.

In the past I have owned a 1973 XJ12 (Rare Series 1 V12), then sold it (for a loss) when 2 years ago I bought a 1972 Series 3 E-Type, that car is still not on the road as I am still restoring it, currently I am re-building the IRS.

2+ months or so ago I bought a 2004 X-Type. I got the car for a good price (Relatively) but it then spent 2 months at the mechanics. It had a host of problems worked on but I wouldn't say fixed.

One dead headlight, mechanic crimped in a new connector and a bulb and it stopped working the day I finally drove it home. So I will be cutting out the crimp and soldering it tonight.

I had an ABS error that was caused by the sensor rings on the rear axles.
A heck of a waste of a rear axle when it was just a decayed sensor ring.

Then there was the Alternator, I had an OEM one put in and it didn't work, it went back and another re-built went in. It lasted a day or so and the light came on again, so I have spent hours reading posts on the topic. Sounds like my next task is replace both battery leads.

I have no delayed wipers but Hi and low work. Still need to figure that one out, maybe relay R4 is not working right. Other than that I'm not sure what's next to fix it.

I was getting the "Gearbox Error" and the mechanic spent hours adjusting the gear shifter linkage to the automatic trans. It seemed to work but then I just got the warning again. The mechanic said to fully charge the battery as a low battery can cause the error as well.

Lastly I need to find 2 new rear speakers as mine are shot.

I like the car but just wish it was working better and the problems I paid to have fixed would stay fixed.

Being 6 feet tall I am having some issues with head room, mine has a sunroof which I like, but my head is against the roof.

So far the X-Type is making my E-Type look like a reliable daily driver. Keeping my fingers crossed I can get the bugs worked out of my X-Type so I can start to enjoy driving it more.

Cheers
Dave Batten

Old 12-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Hi Dave, and welcome from a fellow Canadian- lots of us here on the board.

Sounds like your mechanic is learning all about troubleshooting X types on your nickel. Is he an indy or is this a dealership?

Last edited by Mikey; 12-01-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Default On my Dime

He's an independent mechanic, but has been working on Jag for years.
So I'm a bit surprised he is having such issues with it. But then after reading some of the posts, I wonder if the Alternator was the problem at all, maybe it's the battery leads.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

As per previous sentiment, I think you are paying for a training course.

We have many members in Canada, maybe a good idea would be to post into the regional section, to see if there is a good shop in your area.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

The battery leads are a common trouble spot on X's.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  19.3 KB

Dave, good to have you with us .....nice intro, thanks for sharing and yet another Canadian here, there's more than a few in the regional section.....check it out!!

As for the X type, love it, great car and had an 02 myself, the AWD is awesome especially for your Canadian winters.

As for your issues?
Please feel free to post about it into the X type section, maybe a link to that thread in the regional one would be a good idea.
I and the other mods / vet members will try to bump traffic to it, get the techs incvolved etc and lets see if we can help to get your baby sorted once n for all!

I feel sure you'll give back when you can.
Hope you enjoy your time here..... Nice ride btw ......Pics would be good!!!!!

If you like forums, I think you'll like it here! Some of the best guys around and a really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site...................................

Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Dave, welcome and don't despair. Work on the battery/cables first and see how many other gremlins go away.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Red face Thanks

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. This is a great Forum, lots of information and plenty of people keeping things going here. Great Site.
Picture of my new Cat is attached.

So it looks like my ABS is all sorted now with the 2 new rear drive shaft/Cv's installed.

Off to the dealer later to buy a new R4 relay to try to fix the delayed wipers.
And I might get a new +'ve battery cable just for fun. The rebuilt Alternator seems to be doing the trick so far, but I think I'll replace the battery lead just to be sure after reading the posts on the forum.

Also need new rear speakers, hoping I can grab some out of my mechanics parts car out back. Played a Beatles CD for the first time today and it sounded great even if it was only from the front speakers.

Cheers All;

Dave

Attached Thumbnails New Member - Ottawa Canada (X-Type/E-Type)-x-type.jpg  
Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Classy looking car indeed.

Hope it stays bug free from now on.