New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Should I buy an X TYPE or BMW 3 Series?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I buy an X TYPE or BMW 3 Series?

In BMW74's response he saidhe had purchased his about 18 months ago, so you might check with him as we've only had ours a month. I can tell you that we did intensive research into the company including a BBB check and a google check for any complaints that might be floating in cyberspace.

Perhaps one reason is they do not have a fleet of salesman standing around like vultures. According to the carfax reports (we ck'd serveral CF reports on the cars they had in stock) most were fleet owned or lease cars, all purchased at dealer auctions. We checked the blue book etc prices & TCD prices ranged from trade into private sale values. Also,they drop the prices about $1,000 each month a car remains in stock. So my guess is thattheir prices are based on volumn sales, kinda like the WalMart of auto sales . Our car came with original warranty & we did purchase an extended warranty. Theygive you a checklist on each car that is very similar to Jaguar's certified used car checklist. We checked our local Jag dealerand TCD was about $5,000 cheaper!

Old 09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still seems very low. If these prices are a reflection of what the current value is on a Jaguar it tells me they don't hold their value. Think about this.... they have a 2005' S-Type R w/45k miles listed for $19,950.00 Now that car even back in 2005 had to be at least 55K brand new. So that car is not even worth half it's value today in 2008? That is pretty bad. At that rate it is no different than buying a Chevy or any other American made car just that the cost to fix it is that mush higher with the Import. I love my Jag but these prices are depressing for those who own them. When you can buy a 2005' XK8 with 40k miles for under 25K that is sad considering what they retail for new. Anyone agree??

Old 09-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Treasures: was the 6 cyl one you had on hold an 05 in indigo blue for like $23k?

She is right though, they operate on very little profit margins per car, instead they rely on moving them very quickly as i said most are sold before they even arrive at dealer. most of there cars are off lease from jaguar financial... and many (including mine) are already CPO in addition to the original warranty they might still have(mine did). they also have very low overhead, they operate out of a large warehouse & small office in an industrial area compared to a high end, upscale store front the dealer uses. I also saved 5 digits on what i would have paid at dealer since they weren't moving mine very quickly. As well they operate on a "floor plan" which means htey own none of their cars, instead most are owned by the bank so if they dont sell within a month of buying them they have to pay interest. they usually drop the prices $1,000 a week until they sell. all their cars are priced very close to what they pay. as you can tell from some cars being drastically diff prices compared to pretty much the same car, year, miles, options, even color sometimes.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  9.9 KB

ORIGINAL: Uptown Girl

Still seems very low. If these prices are a reflection of what the current value is on a Jaguar it tells me they don't hold their value. I love my Jag but these prices are depressing for those who own them. When you can buy a 2005' XK8 with 40k miles for under 25K that is sad considering what they retail for new. Anyone agree??
Lol...welcome to Jag ownership uptown.
Part of it though is that you get to be bale to afford a luxury vehicle in the first place exactly because of the poor resale value!
The residuals though are very very poor[&:]

Jim

Old 09-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

All high end vehicles are like this. Look at the upper end MB, BMW, Aston Martins, Rolls and Bentley. Think about your market. If I can afford a $90K car, would I be so cheap as to buy a used one for $65K? No. So, the bottom falls out until the other 99% of humanity can buy one.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

I see your point Ken but this is a major depreciation. Toyotas hold their value better. As I said in my last post 24,900 for a 2005 XK8 w/40k miles?? You can't even buy a 2005 Chevy Corvette for that price. I know everything loses value overtime but that is quite a drop. I have bought both of my Jags used and planned on buying brand new one day but now I think I will reconsider that idea. I know the very wealthy don't blink at spending 75K on a car but for the average Joe who has always wanted that XK8 and pays the big price tag new... it's a punch to the gut later when you decide to turn around and sell it. [&:]

Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Saw this on my Yahoo page this morning.... Just thought I would share it.

There's more expense to a car than the purchase price
Anyone in the market for a new car this year should factor in a number of other costs, such as the interest rate on the loan, depreciation, reliability, fuel economy and not to be overlooked maintenance and repair.

More from Bankrate.com:

• Top 10 Bargain Rides

• How Far Can You Go On a Tank of Gas?

• Threat May Make Car Dealer Refund Cash
Consumer Reports magazine says maintenance and repair costs combine to equal about 4 percent of the total cost of owning a car over the course of five years.
Maintenance includes scheduled work like oil changes, tuneups, filter replacements and tire rotation and unscheduled replacements such as batteries, brakes, tires and exhaust systems. Many repairs are covered by a new car's warranty, especially in the first few years, but can mount up after the warranty expires.
Here's a look at what are expected to be the 10 most expensive and the 10 least expensive 2008 model cars for maintenance and repairs over a five-year time frame.

10 Most Expensive

[align=left]Ranking[/align]
[align=left]Make/Model[/align]
[align=left]Maintenance[/align]
[align=left]Repairs[/align]
[align=left]Total[/align]

[align=left]1[/align]
[align=left]Dodge Viper[/align]
[align=left]$8,209[/align]
[align=left]$2,114[/align]
[align=left]$10,323[/align]

[align=left]2[/align]
[align=left]Jaguar XK-Series[/align]
[align=left]$5,456[/align]
[align=left]$4,171[/align]
[align=left]$9,449[/align]

[align=left]3[/align]
[align=left]Jaguar XJ-Series[/align]
[align=left]$5,299[/align]
[align=left]$4,150[/align]
[align=left]$9,449[/align]

[align=left]4[/align]
[align=left]Land Rover Range Rover Sport[/align]
[align=left]$4,910[/align]
[align=left]$4,317[/align]
[align=left]$9,227[/align]

[align=left]5[/align]
[align=left]Land Rover Range Rover[/align]
[align=left]$4,678[/align]
[align=left]$4,317[/align]
[align=left]$8,996[/align]

[align=left]6[/align]
[align=left]Mercedes-Benz SL-Class[/align]
[align=left]$5,963[/align]
[align=left]$2,793[/align]
[align=left]$8,756[/align]

[align=left]7[/align]
[align=left]Mercedes-Benz CL-Class[/align]
[align=left]$5,988[/align]
[align=left]$2,742[/align]
[align=left]$8,730[/align]

[align=left]8[/align]
[align=left]Land Rover LR3[/align]
[align=left]$4,424[/align]
[align=left]$4,213[/align]
[align=left]$8,637[/align]

[align=left]9[/align]
[align=left]Audi RS4[/align]
[align=left]$6,164[/align]
[align=left]$2,442[/align]
[align=left]$8,606[/align]

[align=left]10[/align]
[align=left]BMW Alpina B7[/align]
[align=left]$6,018[/align]
[align=left]$2,516[/align]
[align=left]$8,534[/align]

10 Least Expensive

[align=left]Ranking[/align]
[align=left]Make/Model[/align]
[align=left]Maintenance[/align]
[align=left]Repairs[/align]
[align=left]Total[/align]

[align=left]1 (tie)[/align]
[align=left]Suzuki SX4[/align]
[align=left]$2,615[/align]
[align=left]$596[/align]
[align=left]$3,211[/align]

[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Honda Element[/align]
[align=left]$2,518[/align]
[align=left]$693[/align]
[align=left]$3,211[/align]

[align=left]3[/align]
[align=left]Nissan Versa[/align]
[align=left]$2,587[/align]
[align=left]$654[/align]
[align=left]$3,241[/align]

[align=left]4[/align]
[align=left]Hyundai Accent[/align]
[align=left]$2,724[/align]
[align=left]$569[/align]
[align=left]$3,355[/align]

[align=left]5[/align]
[align=left]Kia Sedona[/align]
[align=left]$2,786[/align]
[align=left]$569[/align]
[align=left]$3,355[/align]

[align=left]6[/align]
[align=left]Honda Pilot[/align]
[align=left]$2,678[/align]
[align=left]$703[/align]
[align=left]$3,381[/align]

[align=left]7[/align]
[align=left]Hyundai Veracruz[/align]
[align=left]$2,786[/align]
[align=left]$611[/align]
[align=left]$3,398[/align]

[align=left]8[/align]
[align=left]Suzuki XL7[/align]
[align=left]$2,794[/align]
[align=left]$609[/align]
[align=left]$3,403[/align]

[align=left]9[/align]
[align=left]Honda CR-V[/align]
[align=left]$2,708[/align]
[align=left]$703[/align]
[align=left]$3,410[/align]

[align=left]10[/align]
[align=left]Mazda Tribute[/align]
[align=left]$2,686[/align]
[align=left]$769[/align]
[align=left]$3,455[/align]

Source: Edmunds.com
* Figures assume 15,000 miles driven per year for five years
Copyrighted, Bankrate.com. All rights re[/align]

Old 09-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In answer to BMW745's question, no the one we put money on wasin British Racing Green, not sure if they still have it now. I think it was $19,900 when we first found it on the site, just after we put money down on it it dropped to $18,900, it had some goodies on it but not the VDP package, also, we noticed that the side mirror had been repainted due to various chips probably from really largeinsects [:'(]. Just wasn't as clean as the one we purchased which was of course higher in price due to condition and the VDP package.

Ken's assement of used Jag prices seems pretty logical to me.

All high end vehicles are like this. Look at the upper end MB, BMW, Aston Martins, Rolls and Bentley. Think about your market. If I can afford a $90K car, would I be so cheap as to buy a used one for $65K? No. So, the bottom falls out until the other 99% of humanity can buy one.
According to all those "blue book" type values,much of a used car's price depends upon milage, overall condition and the "extra goody" packages it may have on it. Then there are the "three values": dealer trade-in, private sale and dealer price. Take my 99 volvo S80 T6 for instance, with 133,000+ miles on it, needing 2 new tires, some tiny door dingsand having been "rear ended" [:@]by an over anxious kid in a pick upseveral years agothe dealer trade in value is only around $3,000, if I sell it privately it goes up to $4,000 to $6,000. When it was new it was a $40,000 - $50,000 car! I don't think too many people buy a car with the intention ofbreaking even or making money on it when their ready to sell...it's just the nature of the beast. There are exceptions of course,such as the really high performance models like the Shelby (mustang) which seems to be made in limited numbers or that rare classic"antique" auto that now are few in number.

TCD prices are definately not the norm and I think they move a whole lot more cars in one week than most dealers sell in a month! Just watch their website for a few days and see how many are marked hold or are completely gone off the site! I for one think it makes good sense to buy used as all cars lose value the moment you drive them off the lot [:@]no matter if its a Jag or Chevy. So why not let someone else take the "big hit" and pay interest on a note. If you buy a low milage pre-owned late model sometimes you can pay cash for it and drive around in style, so what if you paid50% of what it costs new.(god how I love a bargin )Buying used just makessense to me.... with one exception, pickup trucks....finding a low milage late model pickupstill in great condition can sometimesbe rather difficult as most pickup owners (in our area) use the heck out of their trucksand they look pretty bad after a few years [&:].

Old 09-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

I agree with you... I love a good bargain too! I have always bought new in the past but that was on American made cars. With the Jaguar I bought used because spending 45-50K on a car was not an option for me...A girl has tohave money for hand bags & shoes too! lol I love my Jag every time I get in it... and I don't regret buying it. I guess if they didn't come down in price a lot of us wouldn't be driving them. It is a double edged sword isn't it? Lol But I think when I'm ready for that XF in the future I will check out TCD for sure! [8D]

Old 09-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome dude ! go with the jaguar.......best car i ve ever owned!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes buy the Jag!!

It is different then the BMW.... Around my area all I see is the BMW's.

GO FOR IT

Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok,

Now that I am for SURE that I'm going to get an S-TYPE, what is wrong with the years before 2003? I know the X-TYPE has tranny issues and the 03 and newer S-TYPES do not, but what about 2000-2002 S-TYPES? Also what is the difference between the 4.0L and 4.2L engine.

Basically I can get an 01 S-Type with the 4.0L with about 90K on it for $6500 and it just seems like a great deal but if the models before 03 have too many problems, I'll just spend the extra money and get on 03 or newer but I need to know soon before the guy sells it.

Thanks AGAIN!!!!

Ted

Old 09-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

ted did you see those picks i found for you from texascarsdirect.com? that 05 is HOT! id stay away from anything thats not 03 or newer, it might be cheap up front but it can come back to haunt you a lot worse!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 PM

I can get an 03 S-TYPE R with 75K for $14,000 is that a good deal?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

lol i guess you did( answer to my other post) s type r's are tricky, they can be very expensive or very cheap....in the end the very cheap examples like that one can cost you a whole lot more in the long run...id prob run from that one unless you plan to have it checked with a fine tooth comb but it wont have a warranty!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 PM

best i can come up with is a black S-type 2003 with 66K for $10,900 and is in California so I'd have to have it shipped. But it does have the 4.2L that I want but no heated seats which really sucks. Why did Jaguar do this? So stupid!

I used to have a Town and Country Limited minivan and heated seats were standard. But move up to a Jag and nope. I'm still shaking my head.

If anyone knows of a 4.2L 03 or above for $11,000 or under please send me the links!

Ted

Old 09-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

yeah ted a lot of luxury brands leave out things like this...its a way to boost profits...the worst ive seen about it is Porsche. a lot of companies dont even include a CD Player or changer, its an option still (mercedes). heated seats arent standard on the 5 series or E class either.