New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

XJ6 - locked my keys in the boot

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default XJ6 - locked my keys in the boot

Hello, I am in the UK [South East] - I have an XJ Executive automatic 1996. My friend says it's an XJ6 - I locked my main keys in the boot 2 days ago. I went to a local Jaguar dealer in Ashford who cut me a plain key [without the computerised part in the fob], got home and it won't open the boot. It won't open the driver door but it locks the driver door. The security light is flashing inside the car. I don't know what to do next. Can anyone help me please? Thank you. Martin

Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

I would take the key back to the dealer for a refund... or a re-cut.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Default thank you

i'll phone them today. I phoned them yesterday after getting home to tell them the key did not work and they said "Does it do anything?" and I told them it locked the drivers door but did nothing else.
I've just seen a VALET button inside my car. Never seen it before. Would anything happen if I pressed this? I'll not press it if it's best not to.
Do you think they got the cutting of the key wrong?
When I spoke to them yesterday, they said to wiggle it in the lock as the key was new and the lock had probably worn with age.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:46 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Welcome to the forum Martin,

Please do not post the same question across different sections of the forum. I've already deleted one from the XK8/XKR section as it's not the model you have. Your 1996 XJ Executive is a variant of the XJ6 and has the factory model designation of X300.

Your aren't the first to do this and you certainly won't be the last!

If I've followed this particular instance:

1. you only have ONE Master (Black headed) Key and ONE Remote Fob
2. these are both locked in the Boot
3. you do not have a Valet (Green headed) key
4. the vehicle is locked
5. the security system is armed (dash warning light flashing)

To work out how to proceed:
1. has the dealer cut you a Master or a Valet Key?
2. does this fit and turn in the boot lock?
3. you mention pressing the VALET button - does this mean you can get into the car but not the boot?

Do NOT press the VALET button - this will only make things worse!

Graham

The following users liked this post:
XJExecutive (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 03:37 AM

Hello Graham, I apologise for putting the same message on different forums and will not do it again.
The dealer cut me a non genuine master key. It fits in the boot lock but will not turn or open it. I can get into my car but not the boot. I have not pressed the valet button. I never knew it even existed before and have had my car for 9 years. On an American website called Jaguar: American Key Supplies, it lists 3 different types of key you can buy. They each have different codes. One is a TBE1T5 and that is the one I purchased yesterday at the dealership. It says Jaguar TBE1T5 XJ8 XJR 98-99 / XK8 XKR 97-99 Transp Key (BRK) - The other code is Jaguar JAG2000 XJ6 XJ8 XJR XK 00-03 (8-Cut Tibbe) TrnspKey (BRK) - it would appear that this might be the key I should have been given as my car is the XJ6. Do you think this is right?
Regards
Martin

Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 AM
GGG

Martin,

Your Jaguar Dealer can either supply you with the correct key against the vehicle VIN or, as happens more often now in the UK, order a ready-cut replacement overnight from Jaguar. I'd be surprised if they've cut the wrong one but all things are possible.

On a sixteen year old vehicle, it's also a possibility that the locks could have been changed at some time in the past if for instance the vehicle has been stolen and recovered or a PO has lost their keys.

The vehicle can be opened with a non-programmed key but not started. It also sets off the alarm but this isn't a problem.

Most likely your boot lock is seized up from never being used. Most owners open the boot with the Remote and never think about the lock until something like this happens.

Presumably you want to fix this yourself and not pay the dealer a fortune?

Graham

XJExecutive (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Martin it's a shame you can't get into the cabin.
Are the spare keys somewhere else?
I sympathise greatly, as Graham says it could happen to anyone really.
Take care and Good Luck Martin.
It may sound silly but something like wd40 might help to lubricate the lock and all should go together as long as you can open the boot/trunk?
Regards, Stu

XJExecutive (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 04:26 AM

I went to the Ashford dealership [Landrover/Jaguar] yesterday and purchased a non genuine master key but it does not work.
The reference on the key is TBE1T5.
Since this key does not work I have phoned them to see if they had sold me the wrong key. They said they had sold me the correct key.
However, I found a website that listed 3 different types of replacement keys you can buy for a Jaguar.
It lists the TBE1T5 and it states that this key will only open A Jaguar XJ8 / XJR 1998-1999, and Jaguar XK8 / XKR 1997-1999.
The second key has the code JAG2000 and it states that it will open: A Jaguar XJ6 XJ8 XJR XK.
I have an XJ Executive which is a variation of the XJ6, so I am assuming the key with the code JAG2000 would fit my boot and open the lock.
The impressed key may be the same for both the above keys so maybe the metal parts of these two keys above differ in thickness as they key I purchased yesterday seems rather thick, and thicker than the master key that is locked in my boot.
Please visit the following website so you can see that there are 3 different types of Jaguar Replacement keys that can be purchased and let me know if I had been sold a JAG2000 as opposed to a TBE1T5, would I have got the correct key and been able to open my boot.
Thanks for your time.
Yours sincerely
Martin Bradley
Jaguar : American Key Supply, The Locksmith's Source for Keys & Tools

Old 07-09-2013, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member

Hi again, I think you need urgent assistance so if you can message or call this guy, Mike I am sure you will get the issue sorted and be airborne again soon!
Good Luck! Stu

Good Morning All, XJExecutive if you wish to pm: Mike@Jaguar

My names Mike and I just wanted to introduce myself. I work for Jaguar Land Rover and have just been appointed to my new role as Social Media Executive. I will now be looking after this forum taking over from Kelly who will concentrate on various other pieces of work.

I have worked for JLR now for over a year within the Customer Relationship Centre so have the knowledge to be able to answer a wide variety of questions. If I am unsure of the answer I will know the right person to ask and then get back to you.

As time goes on I will interact with your general conversations on the forum and give advice where necessary. But in the meantime if there is anything you would like me to respond to please just send me a PM.

I am looking forward to getting stuck in and getting to know you all.

Speak soon.

Kindest Regards

Mike Cotter
Social Media Executive
Jaguar Land Rover
Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 07-09-2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: omitted details
XJExecutive (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 05:26 AM

I've phoned the jaguar dealer and they cannot help further. They said I could take the rear numberplate off and poke a coathanger through a small hole. Yeah: not in a million years! I've got no idea what might happen. Would I get blown up if i touched a live wire or something? Is there anyone out there who can help me?

Stuart Beattie (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 AM

hello, the key i purchased won't open the boot. i'm stuck. maybe i'll get someone to cut a hole big enough to put my hand through and get the keys i left in there! seems to be the only way ahead.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hi XJExec,
This Gentleman is trying to help, as I am but I wouldn't poke things around either, like you.
If you pm Mike@Jaguar he will help.
If he doesn't then that's a different ballgame!
Good Luck!

XJExecutive (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 05:46 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by XJExecutive
........ I phoned them yesterday after getting home to tell them the key did not work and they said "Does it do anything?" and I told them it locked the drivers door but did nothing else.........
Originally Posted by XJExecutive
........... so maybe the metal parts of these two keys above differ in thickness as they key I purchased yesterday seems rather thick, and thicker than the master key that is locked in my boot..............
Martin,

If the key fits into the barrel and locks the driver's door, it must be the right cut.

If it won't fit the boot lock or fits but won't turn, then your boot lock is likely to be seized with lack of use. This is a regular issue.

1. repeated treatment with WD40 or Locksmiths graphite whilst easing the key will eventually free it.

2. an AutoLocksmith with a set of Tibbe Lock Picks would get it open or you can buy Tibbe lockpicks

3. removing the number plate and drilling a small hole (sufficient to get a screwdriver blade through) would allow you to flip the Release Link (item 2) or the Actuator Link (item 9)

XJ6 - locked my keys in the boot-x300-boot-lock.jpg

( click on the image to enlarge it )

Graham

XJExecutive (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 05:59 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Welcome to the forum Martin,

Good to have you with us.
I believe any tibbe key will lock any tibbe lock but you need the right one to open it.
I think it is time for you to move over to the tech section with this problem.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you

XJExecutive (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member

By the way Martin, we must have posted near to the same time.
Good luck and thanks for the update!
Sorry you are having such bad luck!

keep the Faith, Stu

XJExecutive (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 06:03 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Martin I've moved all the later posts to your thread in the tech section https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ys-boot-98428/
Please follow it there, thanks!

XJExecutive (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 AM

Got into my car at long last. A mechanic from a garage very close to my house turned out to be an expert lock picker with his tibbe key! Hooray! I almost passed out from too much pleasure when I saw the boot open before my very eyes! I had to steady myself on my car. It was really funny. I was running around with the keys in my hand, trying this lock and that lock and getting too excited when I suddenly shouted out: "Where are my keys?" and couldn't find them, the two mechanics were saying: "You had them in your hand a minute ago, trying all the locks!", and I was searching through my back pockets and looking in the ignition, and I grabbed my head with both hands in panic, as everyone looked at the closed boot! Then I looked in my front pocket and found them. I almost passed out again with too much pleasure!!! One of my character traits is extremes in how I feel. I'm either really depressed or so excited I can hardly contain myself. Whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...... thanks to all who saw me through this horrific time in my life!

The following 2 users liked this post by XJExecutive:
GGG (07-10-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Phew, that is ACE NEWS MARTIN!
Now if you want to celebrate, by all means do it, but hey, remember those keys!!! We have all been there and if we haven't...... NO I won't pass judgement, yes it's all in a day!
Congratulations Martin, take care and enjoy your car, after all.... it's a Jaguar!
Stu

XJExecutive (07-11-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

She's my Baby, she's my CAT, she's sleek and refined, something else, My Cat!
She purrs as a Feline, so pleasing and divine and YES She's MINE!
Refined and Gracious and yet She'll growl so LOUD!
Just.... when I want her to, what more could I want of Her?
The open road ... it beckons me to her....
I increase the pace, to sense the Grace, Magnificent and proud.
She cannot lie within the CROWD! She leaps out front ahead and heard, a glimpse of glee her image blurred unto the Night...
She's unique and Special, Imminence unfounded, to pounce as pure pleasure as I capture the sight, nature defied, untamed so wild!
She elevates and mesmirises, talons torture and tantalise, I enrapture in the capture as I cannot believe my eyes, for She is everything for the moment and nothing inbetween!
Ubiquitous, ambitious, for me there's nothing else!
I look up to this astounding beauty as my eternal Queen!
Passion unsurmounted, passionate and Pure!
My Lips are whet, I taste appetite for more, My foot feels the essence of everything I adore! I want her and feel her in absolutely every way!
I shudder to think of losing her, I dread to lose this Day!
To drive this car, This Icon, For it is not any other car, is a feat I want to relive, Every Day I Live, and when I sleep I shall not weep, for the dream shall be reborn and the adventure shall Live ON!
The Spirit of Jaguar! The Essence of all we ensue, The Exploitation of Engineering unbound, beyond mere sight and sound, to touch and to feel, to make it REAL!
Reality beyond the Dream. Feel the Spirit and Taste the Cream!
Regards, Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 07-10-2013 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Imagination getting carried away!
XJExecutive (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

welcome to the forum!!

XJExecutive (07-12-2013)

Quick Reply: XJ6 - locked my keys in the boot