Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

Remedial work + Upgrades to my Passat

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Remedial work + Upgrades to my Passat

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  19.3 KB

Ok, so here it is........

Some of you may know I've been having trouble with the "Emmissions workshop" message and the ECU light being on?

I've went about this with no codes unfortunately, but took the EGR valve off and gave it a thorough cleaning, which certainly helped some for sure. At the same time I checked the air filter ( which was in a right old mess )....this had supposedly been changed at a previous service, but obviously had not been. The housing was cleaned out of all debris and the filter replaced.....again, it certainly helped some but the error message remained.....

Next I bought a temp coolant sensor ( the one from Ebay for £6) and had this fitted at a cost of £10 from my local mechanic, and the message disappeared as if by magic and hasn't returned since

The service reminder showing "service 1900 miles" appeared on the display.....thanks to an excellent post on this forum I managed to clear that too!

Next on the list was an oil + filter change...
Called VW who wanted £90.....a quick check revealed that it would probably cost me around £50 or more to buy the oil + filter and do it myself. I remembered National tyres and called them.......using the correct spec of oil + filter they quoted £31.70 >>>result!!

Off to National tyres and the oil + filter was changed in quick order while I watched. The fitter asked when was the last time I replaced the filter? I replied.....Sept last year when it was serviced, or so I thought?? It was a REAL mess!

Arnold Clark had done this service last Sept supposedly>>>>>more on this later.

Next up was a quick run through to Glasgow to collect some 15mm aluminium hubcentric wheel spacers and longer bolts. These ran at around £47.50 a pair from the zoom room on Ebay, but I negotiated a discount and got them for £83 in the end

Back home and looked out my A6 ( TT Trapeze 17" alloys c/w 225 x 50 x 17
Bridgestone s ).....I removed the older A3 style wheels I had on, added the wheel spacers and fitted those bad boys......WOW, what a major difference?
The car looks lower, phatter n meaner.....nice!!!!
I had in the meantime last week painted the hubs + calipers with silver heat resistant paint for a clean stock look, so it really does improve the looks

I called Arnold Clark and had a real go at the service manager, re the "supposed oil + filter change" and expressed in no uncertain terms my displeasure. At the same point I complained about the number plates supplied at the same time, which were peeling and really dragging the car down.
The result? I'm going in tomorrow to have my oil+ filter charges refunded and a brand new set of number plates will be waiting for me when i arrive

All in all, a pretty decent days work and I'm quite pleased with my self.

Over the course of the next few days, I'm going to try and get her washed and cleaned up and will try and add some before and after pics, as this always helps with a post like this.

Thanks for reading

Update - 12.05.11 >>>Today I bought a new tax disc holder, order a new set of carpet mats ( Black OEM front and rear - reasonable at £46 the set I thought ) and also a replacement jack point cover for the drivers side which was missing
Jim

Old 05-12-2011, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

WOW, superb job , even if you hire a man to get him to do your job and let's say he's a great "go-getter" at such things he would not outperform you .
I am happy for you

Old 05-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  19.3 KB

Lol...thanks Caddie

Old 10-23-2011, 04:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck with the work.