PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS[NorthEast]: 2005 XJ Super V8, Jaguar Racing Green, 84k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2005 XJ Super V8, Jaguar Racing Green, 84k miles

Hi folks,

The car is located in my garage in Rhode Island, has been my daily driver since picking it up in New Jersey as the second private owner in Spring, 2011 (I believe it had about 54,000 miles) from a wholesaler in Tenafly. At the time, I had the car looked over by the local Jaguar dealership (Bergen), reviewed the service history with the tech, and confirmed the car had all routine maintenance done through that dealer and one in south Florida, and that the air bags had just been replaced.

Since I purchased it, I've had all routine maintenance and repair work done by Tom Mayo at Metric Motors, an excellent independent exotics shop near me in Rehoboth, MA (Home Page). Non-routine work has included replacing the dread gummed up radiator, various hoses and suspension linkages, bonnet sensor (to address the well characterized random alarm problem) and battery (Interstate MTP-93 in 2011.)

I have the (5) original chrome 19" wheels, which have some scratches and old summer tires, but have instead used a separate set (5) of 18" (Turanza Serenity on elegant Enkei Ammodos) all seasons tires/wheels for temperate weather and (4) of 18" winter tires/wheels (Blizzak WS80 on a classic looking wheel I can't recall but will get photos of), for the 30k miles I have driven it over the past 5 years.

Air suspension seems to be doing fine. Navigation DVD was updated to the most recent version, I believe 2011-12. I have both keys (and the third Valet key). Interior is champagne color.

The car has some mechanical and cosmetic issues.

Mechanical:
- There is a whirring noise at speed that abates when you back off the gas a little, my mechanic Tom believes it is likely the differential.

Cosmetic:
- There is some kind of etching/clouding of the clear coat on the hood/bonnet (maybe from leaves?)
- There is a long, superficial scratch in the paint on the bumper strip on the R rear passenger door (which reveals some white primer).
- There are also some scratches/dings on the rear bumper, and scratches in the upper portion of the plastic/chrome surround of the front driver door opening, likely where some fancy lady's rings made contact when she stepped into the car.
- The headliner is holding up and looks fine but there is a little looseness in parts on close inspection, and given its age pickier drivers will probably want to replace it
- The backing of the original driver sheepskin floormat is pretty disintegrated

Basically, I bought the car because it is awesome, and I did it on the cusp of a move out of NYC and into suburban New England, when my transportation needs were in flux. (Also, my 92 year old grandmother used to drive an XK120.) Now my commute is 6 miles a day on local roads that rarely allow me to exceed 45 mph. And we have acquired a minivan, so the massive back seat and cool rear seat entertainment systems are basically unused. I am ready to move on to more pedestrian transportation that better fits my modest needs. For what it's worth, I am a married physician with 2 kids, and very responsible about things involving car safety.

I am planning to have the car detailed and photographed (I already have accurate pics of the wheels), but in the mean time feel free to ask questions or come by to take a look, perhaps at Metric Motors. I will probably post on ebay at some point soon, but my fantasy is to get a fair price from someone knowledgeable on this list serve and just get er done. I am open to any reasonable offers. Best way to reach me is by email at bcase@post.harvard.edu

Carfax materials and window sticker are attached, and I am glad to email them. Pics coming.

Thanks, Brady

Last edited by drcase; 07-04-2016 at 10:29 AM. Reason: More repair history