PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.

XJ40 looking for a good home!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ40 looking for a good home!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
Sadly for sale is my 1990 XJ40 Sovereign.
WHY?
I got her (named her "KUH") at the end of 2008 as a poor lifeless beast with not MOT or Tax, and have lovingly bought her back to life, getting her an MOT only a few months later and slowly but surely doing all the work needed to make her a real beauty again but whilst also using her as my daily driver, completing 80miles a day, 5 days a week with no problems. A great reliable vehicle of which you get a hell of a lot for your moeny! But now it is time for me to move on and give another old Jaguar a new lease of life, and because of my age finding an insurance company to insure me on two cars with 4.0l engines is nigh on impossible so I cant use both, and besides I sadly dont have the room for both.
QUICK GLANCE
MOT : End of February 2011
Tax : Had to remove it to fund my next project (sorry - but there is a PO just across the road open 7days a week for you to tax her when you drive her home)
Mileage : 136000
More history than you can shake a stick at
All 3 original spare keys, handbook and other documents complete in green Jaguar wallet
ABOUT "KUH"
KUH is a 1990 XJ6, code named the XJ40. She is a very early facelift model, and has one of the first AJ6 4.0l engines placed in one of these cars.
Her "spec" is Sovereign, which for those that dont know, means she is the top of the range Jaguar XJ model of the time, and comes with a tonne of history as well as many features including:
Square headlamps
Cruise Control
Air conditioning / Climate control
Electric seats
Trip computer
Magnolia full leather interior with contrasting piping
Teardrop alloy wheels
Electric windows
Electric mirrors
Underseat subwoofers
Rear (rare optional extra!) sunblinds
SECURITY
I had a clifford 650 MkII alarm and immobilisor fitted to the car last Summer.
This comes complete with the thatcham approved fitted certificate and manual, it is a Catagory 1 alarm/immobilisor and does make a difference to insurance quotes. This cost £400!
* Key fob for locking/unlocking - remote central locking
* Indicator acknowledgement and beeps
* Alarm
* Interior and Exterior proximity alarm (croaks if someone gets too close to warn them away and detects for movement within the car)
* BlackJax PIN system - a pin has to be entered before starting the car. This ensures that (a) if some steals your keys and goes to drive off they cant unless they know your pin and (b) if you get car-jacked, when a car door opens you need to re-enter the pin so if someone hi-jacks your car and goes to drive off, the car will shut down and lock the nasty chav in there for the police!

EXTERIOR
Regency Red metallic paintwork with gold coachlines
New bonnet and bootlid replaced in Summer 2009, and painted to match along with the doors to ensure a correct colour match
VERY RARE Daimler Majestic black and gold bootlid badges - these alone were £30!!!
New chrome backings on mirrors
No longer available to buy headlight protectors (official Jaguar compelte with the logo) to prolong the life of the headlights which are about £130 each to replace!
Sovereign spec Teardrop alloys, 15 inches all in good condition for age with colour coded centre caps (nice!)
Rear tyres replaced not so long ago and loads of tread left
Front tyres will need replacing soon, if you are local I may be able to get a deal for you!
Floor pan rot free (restored when I first got her) and completely undersealed.
All chrome in excellent condition. The front bumper blade is beginning to rust BUT i have the replacement bit ready to be fitted which is mint.
Aerial replaced in January 2010 - fully functional, common on an XJ40 to get stuck, so please when you buy her make sure it gets greased every month to prevent it happening.
No rot in the boot area. I removed the exterior ABD that sits on the ledge which is prone to collecting water and rotting out, but she hasnt rotted there, I removed the ABS to check, cleaned it, greased it (to repel water) and replaced ABS. See here:
INTERIOR
Full leather interior in Magnolia with red piping
Leather seats fed regularly to keep them supple. Will supply the feed and dye so you can keep up with them.
Black topped dashboard and magnolia lowers
Matching red carpets
Brand new (November 2009) Newly replaced burr walnut door veneers
Fully working trip computer
Fully working cruise control
Air Conditioning (Converted from R12 to take the modern R134A)
New door seals fitted all round.
All speakers work fine, subwoofers under the rear seats (RARE!)
Rear sunblines (again super RARE - try buying some!)
RARE to find an XJ40 WITH its full tool kit in boot!!

MECHANICS/ENGINE
Chipped gearbox to ensure smoother gear changes and better response. The original chip is included in the box of spares if you would rather put it back to its previous performance. It was chipped by the previous owner who worked on the XJ40 gearbox engineering side when it was being built, so he was able to make himself stuff like this!
Previous owner told me the head had been rebuilt at 100,000 miles.
Rear subframe replaced as part of restoration, February 2009
Diff oil replaced Feb 2009
New fuel filter and pump
New speedo cable
Serviced every 6 months (usually having done less than 5,000 miles in those 6 months) by myself ( I work for Jaguar) all receipts kept
4.0l AJ6 engine
Run only on Castrol GTX High Mileage oil
Engine cleaner applied before each oil change
New battery bought October 2009
Handbrake cable replaced February 2010
THE BAD BITS
Drivers side window is slow to move up and down, i replaced the motor and the switchpack so it does work!
The passengers side door lock doesnt open when the drivers side door is unlocked. I havent worked out why yet...!
Bubbling is appearing on the rear arches, and on the front passengers side one too, although that is fine as these are bolt on/off and can be baught for very little - its just been on the old list...
Original boot mat was rotten from where she was stored by the last owner, so I have made a little replacement one! Only bad cos it doesnt match!
Headlining is sagging, but previous owner pinned it up in a sort of traditional sofa kind of way, actually doesnt look too bad lol!
ABS sensors need replacing BUT they will be included in the sale, just need to be fitted!
I had a problem a few months back where I put her into sport and she smoked. I havent had any problems since, and there are no obvious problems with the engine.
The drivers side sill as well is on the way out.
PLUS...
I have lots of spares!!
Boxes of spare parts, all included in the price - you could always sell these parts if you want, make some of your money back!! Some new and some used.
And soooo much more! Seriously about 5 boxes of the spares!!
Off the top of my head...
Suspension Kit
Various bits of trim
Original gearbox chip
Further spare Teardop alloy
Various switchpacks
Genuinely cant remember it all - will go through the boxes at sometime hopefully this weekend!
This beautiful car will be sold valeted if you BUY IT NOW (weather depending - see *)
Washed
Polished*
Wax top up*
Vacuumed
Clean wheels
Tyres blacked
Chrome polished*
General freshen up of interior
I do not use air fresheners as i dont like ones that hang from mirrors as they distract and i dont like air vent ones as i have seen what they do when they leak, so i use something similar to febreeze to freshen the carpets etc.
* I will not be able to do this if its raining tho, sorry
PRICE
I have spent hundreds on this car, but I felt she was worth it and its nice to save such a historical creature. I do not think you will be disappointed, you get a hell of a lot of car for the money, and I think considering the amount I have spent I have been very realistic, and seen many poorer examples go for more.