Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[HELP] Jaguar S Type 2000

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [HELP] Jaguar S Type 2000

Hello
I bought a used and broken Jaguar S Type 2000 from someone and i wanna repair it. I let the car to my friend which has a car service but he works with mercedes and bmw and not with jaguar. he owns a autologic diagnosis computer and he works with it.
now the car problem is:
when u try to start the car it wont even make a noise. so it doesent. the electrical system works coz it locks and unlock the doors with remote etc. the audio system doesent turn on and in the lcd of the car shows : Steering Column Locked. and the steering wheel is locked. it does detect the key. the previous owner said that the car fell in water, if i remember well was the left driver side.

When diagnosing with autologic i remember to errors ( there were many ) Engine Locked and Theft detected. can it be that the car is in alarm mode (theft) and doesent unlock the steering wheel when u insert the key?

also when i lock the doors with remote they unlock by itself

Please advice me which diagnosis computer to use and what can be the problem

thank you

Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi, It sounds like you have a problem with either the key chip or the vehicle security system. This sounds like a flood car, sometime a bargain is more work than you bargained for. I'd start checking the battery and all the revelant electrical circuits. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
good luck, VMV

Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Your best route is dropping her off at a foriegn car mechanic with major emphasis on late model Jaguars.
Now, I'm not sure this applies to a 2000 Jag but you can perform a hard reset of the computer modules by simply disconnecting the battery negative terminal, touching it to the positive terminal for 10 seconds, then leave off for an hour. Reconnect and see what happens ???
As already mentioned, the car may be in theft-alarm lockdown mode or whatever. Regardless, IMHOP a Jag tech would be your best and least frustrating route. Who knows? The solution may be simpler than imagined. Good Luck and nice that you will restore the her to working order.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by VMV
Hi, It sounds like you have a problem with either the key chip or the vehicle security system. This sounds like a flood car, sometime a bargain is more work than you bargained for. I'd start checking the battery and all the revelant electrical circuits. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
good luck, VMV
You mean problems with the transponder?

thank you

Old 07-08-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Your best route is dropping her off at a foriegn car mechanic with major emphasis on late model Jaguars.
Now, I'm not sure this applies to a 2000 Jag but you can perform a hard reset of the computer modules by simply disconnecting the battery negative terminal, touching it to the positive terminal for 10 seconds, then leave off for an hour. Reconnect and see what happens ???
As already mentioned, the car may be in theft-alarm lockdown mode or whatever. Regardless, IMHOP a Jag tech would be your best and least frustrating route. Who knows? The solution may be simpler than imagined. Good Luck and nice that you will restore the her to working order.
ill try what you suggested and very thank you for the reply

Old 07-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

It may have a PATS fault or lock-out situation. If you get the workshop manual it contains a lot of information (ebay $10). Some of the Ford data about PATS applies to the early S-Type like your one.

Security data is in several modules so if you don't know what you're doing or use the wrong tool you may make things worse, not better.