Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Stype wont rev over 3k after cold air intake install

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Stype wont rev over 3k after cold air intake install

02 S-type 80K miles (my bros car)

Went to install jaguarxp cold air intake. ( http://jaguarxp.com/jagxp/Jaguar%20S...N%20filter.htm)

Installed the intake correctly. We ran down the interestate insport mode, worked ok, but without sport mode it bogged down under hard acceleration. Got back to driveway, Reset battery. Nowcar will NOT go past 3k on rev in park/neutral, but when actually drove will function normally.

reinstalledfactory intake. car does the same thing.Anyone ever ran into anything like this?

Old 05-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 02 Stype wont rev over 3k after cold air intake install

uhh, my car has never ahd any intake work and it doesn't rev above 3K when in P/N I think its a safety from the factory...as far as boggin down when driving it, it sounds like you may have a small leak at one of the connections after the Mass Air Flow sensor. Get a bottle of soap/water solution and spray down all the intake couplings and see if there are any bubbles...
bubbling = leak

Old 05-31-2008, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: ohsigmachi
Oh really, I wasn't sure. I had just thought it was able to get over 3k in park before we had reset the computer. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: It only bogged down for a moment on hard accel onto interestate for a second, then would come back right away full power.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: atom

EDIT: It only bogged down for a moment on hard accel onto interestate for a second, then would come back right away full power.
That still sounds like a small leak...if it was a big one you wouldn't have gotten back up to power as quick.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI - take a pic of this intake. The only install I've seen looked pretty shoddy and I've got one on order I sourced from MAf part numbers and supplied dimensions.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:57 PM

@ cosworth

I have the XJ8version and I think this one for s-type is worse quality. Not a real big deal, but the picture theyshow on their siteisnot what you get for the 99-02 models, i'm guessing their pic is for 03-07 because they use the same pic for both.They sent the wrong bolts (it happens, bought some at local hardware store) and the wrong installation instructions,but the right filter/harness on invoice. It's pretty self explanatory even for a novice like myself, so no need for instructions.

I forgot to mention, he has the 4.0L as well.

Anyways after ohsigmachischooled me,I checked it over today and there was a clear leak where the piece of metal attaches for harnessing, they have an odd design for the mounting metal strip, because it goes around the filter connection, leaving an uneven seal. We tried many different positions, but all failed to seal properly because of the mounting strip.

Used a small strip of ducktape right around the filter seal where it was apparent. Seems to have donethe trick, nomore bogs after 40+ miles of various driving speeds. From a fashion standpoint, at least thetape was red to match the filter hah! Sound shotty, but it works. Can't post a pic, as it's not here.

@ ohsigmachiSorry bro, Imust have been tripping or something, butI was almost sure it was able to get over 3k on rev in park/neutral before computer restart.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:57 PM

Hey man no problem!! I'm just happy to get some feedback on this intake as I looked into getting one myself...I'm pretty sure that I can fabricate a superior piece for less or equal money so I'll probably just go that route since that's what I did with the exhaust.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had that intake kit on my 98' XJ8L for many years and I've had great success with it.. No problem with bogs, service lights, nothing...

Old 07-01-2008, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: The_Ikon

I've had that intake kit on my 98' XJ8L for many years and I've had great success with it.. No problem with bogs, service lights, nothing...
Hah nice.. but that's not what i'm talking about. I've got the jaguarxp intake kit on my XJ8 as well, but we're talking about the shotty S-type model bro They are NOT the same in the least.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: ohsigmachi

Hey man no problem!! I'm just happy to get some feedback on this intake as I looked into getting one myself...I'm pretty sure that I can fabricate a superior piece for less or equal money so I'll probably just go that route since that's what I did with the exhaust.
That's exactly what we did. Got his money back and saved $50 in the process, our mechanic juiced it up in 25 mins. Runs like a top now.