Sponsored by:

2000 S-Type HID Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 AM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2000 S-Type HID Retrofit

Hey All!
I know this has been brought up several times, but it seems like the information found/discovered was never mentioned.
The question about wiring from a halogen setup to HID wasn't documented and would like to know from those who did
this retrofit the wire pairing. The harness plug on the halogen seems to not include 4 wires that the HID needs. The colors
are light green, yellow, light orange, and light purple (or blue)/yellow. If anyone could hook me up with that info that would
allow me to finish my retrofit. Thanks!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: 2000 S-Type HID Retrofit

Crap, I don't have personal experience with this, but search buddy. I guarantee that there is information out there.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was going to help untill I saw 03Stype3L's bulb wattage, I won't lend a hand to the destruction of a Jaguar.

Last edited by ohsigmachi; 06-19-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to get the whitest light from your HID's you should buy 6000K bulbs. The number refers to the temperature of the light, the higher the temperature the bluer the colour, The lower the temperature the redder the light. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

As for the wiring, I have'nt got a clue. I bought a kit for my car and it was basically plug and play, there were only two wires to connect to the original harness.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Stype3L
Hey ohsigmachi. The 12000k stands for a color of the bulb. It's kind of purple. The lower the number the whiter it is. The bulb itself is 35W. You can check it out yourself. I would really use some help on this. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I know exactly what it means, and I think they are trashy and have no business on a Jag. Unless you want your Jag to look like a mid-nineties honda civic with a JDM/Bride/Mugen/blahblahblah HID retrofit kit so you can audition it for F&F 4...

Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hijack this thread. But I hope my experience doing the retrofit will help someone. I have been working on this project for some time now. It seems that a lot of people bypass the auto leveling system entirely and use aftermarket relays and ballasts. i am currently trying to do mine a stock as possible. The wiring diagrams a readily available from the JTIS and it seems the that the HID lights are wired to a different point on the GEM I am not sure why this is. Tomorrow I am going to see if the wire is there on the GEM end of the connector. As far as the relays I am using stock relays in the correct positions in the fuse box. What PIA to work on the underside of the fuse box. I replaced clutches with less effort lol. The relay is mandatory (1 for each side)because the startup current is very high (close to 8 amps for just an instant )then down 2.65 nominal that is per side. I would bet the xenons will not even fire because the starting current through the halogen system probably wouldn't stand the inrush and could damage something in the process. As for the leveling I have dedcided to go British and have built the switch mechanism that is used in the UK that allows the user to adjust the height of the lights as needed. i had to order the right type of servos to make the whole thing work but they were surprisingly inexpensive. Right now I have the bumper cover off the lights out the wiring for the cabin switch done and most of the harnesses finished. that said it looks like the car is being parted out. I hope to have some pictures to share with you all very soon.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:06 PM

can you tell me how to properly fit the oem hid set into a non hid s type? i have the diagrams and everything but im wondering what wires need to be cut/spliced/grounded out. thanks so much

Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,356 Posts

The halogens are triggered(turned on) with switched battery power to the light. Hid units are negativly triggered. So your powered trigger + from the cars electrical headlight connector goes to a relay that will trigger the ground - circuit to the hid unit. Forget about auto leveling you need way more wiring and parts to make that function. I sell hid units complete headlight assemblies for $600 a pr with instructions on the conversion either here, or occassionally ebay, or do the installs myself

Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
The halogens are triggered(turned on) with switched battery power to the light. Hid units are negativly triggered. So your powered trigger + from the cars electrical headlight connector goes to a relay that will trigger the ground - circuit to the hid unit. Forget about auto leveling you need way more wiring and parts to make that function. I sell hid units complete headlight assemblies for $600 a pr with instructions on the conversion either here, or occassionally ebay, or do the installs myself
Yeah, I've read a lot about this and I'm aware of the leveling. I just want them to work lol. When I read the wiring diagram it specifically has the black 11th wire of the grey hid connector (fh40-11) being grounded out. Is that all that needs to be done? It cant be that easy...how much for just the directions lol

Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

To avoid blinding others etc, over here it's illegal to fit anything but those fully equivalent to factory ones (so, auto-level, headlamp washers, specific HID assembly, etc) - there's a thread running on the UK forum right now, sort of head-on confrontation between those who don't care about others (or the law) and those who do.

Very like those who don't understand what fog lights are for......